Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Merman Marinus SLOW Extended Tail Project

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel
    Update : The outline I made of the tail thickness is still not the actual thickness because I'm going with idivudual silicone scales PearlieMae style the scales will be somewhat thick wich means the tail will be even thicker. LOL yay for extra thickness...
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Trident True's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GulfMerman101 View Post
    Attachment 38402
    and heres the whole tail, this is my goal, and hopes it comes to reality !!!!!
    plus drawing the scales took forever, lol
    Love your fluke. mine is the same fluke design. now in regards to size of fluke mine measures in inches. 36X29X16, 3ft wide is the largest you should go. i'm quite slender and that size is more than enough. you also want it to be proportioned to the size of your body. I have used Urethane to cast my fluke but it needs to be tested once my extension is done.

the Urethane that you have suggested please DO NOT use its only suitable for people that know how to used it safely. the urethane i used was called https://www.smooth-on.com/products/smooth-cast-45d/ you will notice you can tint it to the colour you desire. semi rigid means that it is stiff but flexible. do not get a rigid urethane as there will be no flexibility and it may shatter.

Can someone please get me back to the ocean before I suffocate... I need the water......

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Marinus View Post
    Thank you for the tips JustCOS.Im thinking of using it as the footpocket lined with soft silicone inside. I hat thought about it braking thats why ill do some tests first.

Sorry for delay in replying. i've only just seen it. the casting resin is too rigid once it cures and under pressure it will snap or shatter. its like making a monofin out of Acrylic which will snap no questions. the foot pocket needs to be able to take weight of the extension and your completed fluke. ive finished my foot pocket but i don't wish to post pic as i don't want to Hijack your thread.

Ive been attempting to create an extended tail for the last 6 years the hardest thing for me is the extension itself. i've wasted 2.5 grand on this project on materials. fuckups etc. and i don't want to watch someone else do the same. if I know it's not going to work i will give my opinion and insight or you are more than happy to test your theories.

Can someone please get me back to the ocean before I suffocate... I need the water......

Member Pod of Texas GulfMerman101's Avatar
    Follow GulfMerman101 On Twitter Add GulfMerman101 on Facebook Add GulfMerman101 on Google+ Add GulfMerman101 on Bebo Add GulfMerman101 on MySpace
    Add GulfMerman101 on Linkedin Follow GulfMerman101 on Tumblr Follow GulfMerman101 on Flickr Visit GulfMerman101's Youtube Channel Visit GulfMerman101's Vimeo Channel
    Trident True:
    I found this website called Ploytek.com, their Poly GlassRub 50A Clear Liquid Rubber, looks great as well wither its flexibility, and its not too pricy as much like smooth-on. I haven't ordered any urethane yet im just getting a feel to understand the resins and such, so I can make a wise choice for my fluke.
    you can check it out and see if its a good quality rubber?
    cause in my understanding with urethane? this is the chart?...Name:  durometerchart.png
Views: 1104
Size:  197.6 KB, anything that's 00 is really flexible, A is simi flexible, and D's are really Stiff, or even Hard for that matter.

Follow GulfMerman101 On Twitter Add GulfMerman101 on Facebook Add GulfMerman101 on Google+ Add GulfMerman101 on Bebo Add GulfMerman101 on MySpace
    Add GulfMerman101 on Linkedin Follow GulfMerman101 on Tumblr Follow GulfMerman101 on Flickr Visit GulfMerman101's Youtube Channel Visit GulfMerman101's Vimeo Channel
    im sort of debating in between (Shore 00: 30, 40, or 60) or (Shore A: 10,20,or 30), theres so many but I just need one lol, what are your thoughts about it?

im sort of debating in between (Shore 00: 30, 40, or 60) or (Shore A: 10,20,or 30), theres so many but I just need one lol, what are your thoughts about it?
    ok, so for the Liquid rubber 50A stand for 50 Shore hardness on the scale. so if you look on the chart where it says shore A then go over to the 50 it says medium soft. this would be fine to cast a fluke in but the fluke would need to be quiet dense/ thick around the sides centering down to the middle. this only applies if your not using a monofin in between.

Urethanes usually go on the scale of Shore D but can sometimes fall in the shore A hardness. it depends on the brand of urethane your looking at.

Most Silicones and rubber go under shore A

I found it. are you looking at having this clear??? it states it will yellow overtime in uv but that could be easily overcome if you tint it.
    https://www.polytek.com/products/liquid-mold-rubbers/polyurethane-mold-rubbers/pourable-polyurethane-mold-rubbers/glassrub/
    Last edited by Trident True; 08-06-2016 at 04:51 AM.

Thank you Trident True
    and yeah its clear but not super crystal clear like the ones from smooth-on. which is pretty pricy lol.
    this type of clear resin, is something that ive been looking for.
    what do you think? is it ok to use

By the way I forgot to ask, if you might know how they made the spinal fin? like I know what they used as far as the silicone, but do you think they placed plastic rods inside the silicone? or that the silicone was casted out of a sculpted mold, giving that impression . Hmmm

Name:  7a2621ec501118fe9a0c552ec733cd5c.jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  39.0 KB

By the way I forgot to ask, if you might know how they made the spinal fin? like I know what they used as far as the silicone, but do you think they placed plastic rods inside the silicone? or that the silicone was casted out of a sculpted mold, giving that impression . Hmmm

Name:  7a2621ec501118fe9a0c552ec733cd5c.jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  39.0 KB
    The fins are sculpted in a clay or plasticine, so all detail is added into the sculpt. they are made to be around 3 to 4mm thick so they are a reasonable thickness.

As for the clear rubber, i've never worked with rubber and rubber tends to be more denser than silicone. the 50A seems to be a reasonable density even for silicone. i do however have a suggestion, if you are making a fluke that has no monofin inside of it. you will need to make it quite dense around the edges and taping down to the centre of the fluke. this way once the two are brought together it will actually act like a monofin. which will push water away, you won't be kicking water. if this make sense.

as you have never worked with it. i would buy a trail kit and see how you go. do up a small fluke create a mold then do a test. you will get a rough idea on what the density of the rubber is. then you can create your larger one taking that into account.

Pod of New England
    OMG you guys thanks for all that info and sorry I havent posted in a while, Ive bern busy working.
    Soooo I ordered the last of the clay but I think I now have too much, looking forward to begin sculpting soon...

Id like to ask for ideas for my leg double. I was thinking of plaster bandeges and wood supports, then the leg double could be an outer shell of fiberglass or something like clear plastic resin then filled with expanding foam(with enough empty space for growth) would that work any suggestions?
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

Pod of New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Trident True View Post
    Sorry for delay in replying. i've only just seen it. the casting resin is too rigid once it cures and under pressure it will snap or shatter. its like making a monofin out of Acrylic which will snap no questions. the foot pocket needs to be able to take weight of the extension and your completed fluke. ive finished my foot pocket but i don't wish to post pic as i don't want to Hijack your thread.

Ive been attempting to create an extended tail for the last 6 years the hardest thing for me is the extension itself. i've wasted 2.5 grand on this project on materials. fuckups etc. and i don't want to watch someone else do the same. if I know it's not going to work i will give my opinion and insight or you are more than happy to test your theories.

Thank you very much for your wisdom I wish there were more people like u guys out there cause yall is always so helpful, I will heed your words and shall not make those mistakes thanks for the advice...
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

Pod of New England
    Love your fluke. mine is the same fluke design. now in regards to size of fluke mine measures in inches. 36X29X16, 3ft wide is the largest you should go. i'm quite slender and that size is more than enough. you also want it to be proportioned to the size of your body. I have used Urethane to cast my fluke but it needs to be tested once my extension is done.
    I know my fluke is BIG its like 4' feet wide but i like it big and all, I drew a smaller one but I did not like it even though its the proportional width, I think its because of my fixation with a merman book I read and the guy grows a BIG fin like bigger then every one elses fluke so I decided to be like him... The book is called "Of Poseidon" there are 3 books in total.
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

OMG you guys thanks for all that info and sorry I havent posted in a while, Ive bern busy working.
    Soooo I ordered the last of the clay but I think I now have too much, looking forward to begin sculpting soon...

Id like to ask for ideas for my leg double. I was thinking of plaster bandeges and wood supports, then the leg double could be an outer shell of fiberglass or something like clear plastic resin then filled with expanding foam(with enough empty space for growth) would that work any suggestions?

for my leg casting I used water activated fiberglass bandage. the stuff the doc have when you break your arm. you should be able to buy it on ebay. i then filled the mold with expanding foam to give it more density.

you will need to have someone do this for you as it will be difficult. you will only need one layer over the legs this is to ensure you can cut yourself out of it. cut down the front of your body this way you can ensure you can get it straight. when you spay your expanding foam in, use some string to pull the cut seam together.

NB. your ankles of your leg casting needs to match up with the width of your foot pocket. eg. if you decide to use a pair of shoes for your foot pocket, you will need to have those shoes on when you are casting your legs otherwise your ankles won't match up with the width of your foot pocket. speaking from experience. ps it will help if you get your heels in the casting this way you will have a good idea on where to put the foot pocket into the tail.

Have you seen the extended monofins that already exist? I saw how much $$ you say you've spent already. These are pricey and not clear, but they have the extension you want and are built, as far as I can tell, with the angle built in that you are trying to achieve. I thought it was a great idea for lengthening a tail, looks similar to the fluke mechanism that they show built in the H2O tail making videos on YouTube. The only additional costs are cycling shoes ( I think) to fit into the fluke. That makes them comfortable to wear. I'll attach a link to the ones I've seen online. If you don't have to spend so much time engineering and building practice models- it may even save you money in the long run. Anyway, just trying to help in case you hadn't see these yet-
    This one is $$ but
    https://www.deeperblue.com/dol-fin-p...ng-completion/
    Here's the one I first saw, looks good-
    https://www.ultimateswimfin.com/
    and one more page for the Lunocet
    -http://freedivewire.com/freediving-fins/
    This site has a diver comparison to both models pros/cons
    Maybe this can help you in your quest!
    Building a monofin that's extended will take a lot of time, trial & error, & material to build one from scratch. Not that I'm not for releasing the inventor in all of us- but, I know how hard $$ is while you are a student! I hope you won't be offended with me suggesting checking these out.. I am truly just throwing it out there if you hadn't seen them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mermaidenspins View Post
    Have you seen the extended monofins that already exist? I saw how much $$ you say you've spent already. These are pricey and not clear, but they have the extension you want and are built, as far as I can tell, with the angle built in that you are trying to achieve. I thought it was a great idea for lengthening a tail, looks similar to the fluke mechanism that they show built in the H2O tail making videos on YouTube. The only additional costs are cycling shoes ( I think) to fit into the fluke. That makes them comfortable to wear. I'll attach a link to the ones I've seen online. If you don't have to spend so much time engineering and building practice models- it may even save you money in the long run. Anyway, just trying to help in case you hadn't see these yet-
    This one is $$ but
    Building a monofin that's extended will take a lot of time, trial & error, & material to build one from scratch. Not that I'm not for releasing the inventor in all of us- but, I know how hard $$ is while you are a student! I hope you won't be offended with me suggesting checking these out.. I am truly just throwing it out there if you hadn't seen them

I've looked into these some time ago. they look good however i found out that the shoes need to be taken off the monofin and cleaned in fresh water and allowed to dry this way it prolongs the shoes life. also they are an actual sneaker which will make it hard to get your feet into. As i'm aware the extended tails are put on belly down, backside up so it would make it hard to get your feet into it. not saying that a tail can't be designed to allow you to get your feet in more easily, just with my experience you need to have a low cut profile in order to slide your feet in.

Pod of New England
    for my leg casting I used water activated fiberglass bandage. the stuff the doc have when you break your arm. you should be able to buy it on ebay. i then filled the mold with expanding foam to give it more density.

you will need to have someone do this for you as it will be difficult. you will only need one layer over the legs this is to ensure you can cut yourself out of it. cut down the front of your body this way you can ensure you can get it straight. when you spay your expanding foam in, use some string to pull the cut seam together.

NB. your ankles of your leg casting needs to match up with the width of your foot pocket. eg. if you decide to use a pair of shoes for your foot pocket, you will need to have those shoes on when you are casting your legs otherwise your ankles won't match up with the width of your foot pocket. speaking from experience. ps it will help if you get your heels in the casting this way you will have a good idea on where to put the foot pocket into the tail.
    Thanks TridentTrue i was thinking of doing a full leg cast including my feet "pointed". For this I thought of suspending my self with ropes attached to a life jacket then letting my mom do the casting with my bro she already knows how it goes with the plaster bandeges cause she was a nurse. Back to topic... With the feet in the leg double all os have to do is build the first layer or neoprene tail make the extension prototype attach it to the neoprene tail base. TEST the extension mechanism if it works ill order the silicone an begin to build up the tail thickness...
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

Pod of New England
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidenspins View Post
    This one is $$ but

Thanks a lot for talkimg the time to suggest that but I aswell looked into those monofins before but found oír that if I were to incase the monofin into silicone it will slightly inhibit its functionality plus there is the issue of the shoes with having to take them out with each use plus getting into them skype be hard too...
    They doo work for fabric tails though si maní a silicone spamdex/neoprene tail with one of these monofins doble look wikked. Again thanks for your idea.
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

Thanks TridentTrue i was thinking of doing a full leg cast including my feet "pointed". For this I thought of suspending my self with ropes attached to a life jacket then letting my mom do the casting with my bro she already knows how it goes with the plaster bandeges cause she was a nurse. Back to topic... With the feet in the leg double all os have to do is build the first layer or neoprene tail make the extension prototype attach it to the neoprene tail base. TEST the extension mechanism if it works ill order the silicone an begin to build up the tail thickness...

that sounds like a good idea. before you do anything else i would suggest just working on the extension. all the other stuff can be done later. that's what i'm currently doing as things tend to get in the way or you have stuff lying around all over the place.

Pod of New England
    I've been planing and thinking about doing this for so long I watched you and some other Merfolk succeed and also fail I'm a person who looks at others mistakes and triumphs and learn all I can, so thanks for helping me out and giving me advise cause I know there are some people who rather not share with others (not saying that they "have to") but as a community we should help each other out so I thank you for that.
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

Ooooo following <3 I have been really interested in an extended tail.
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc