Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Show and Tell: Mermaids on YouTube

Visit Princess of the sea's Youtube Channel
    I recently tried to make a H2O tail!! I made DIY video of it

https://youtu.be/2hYlaHwZNpM

Something for new mers to share with their parents or family/friends.

I watched this and thought it was amazing. Job well done
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess of the sea View Post

Sent from my SM-G960F using MerNetwork mobile app

Visit Princess of the sea's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by the.tattooed.mermaid78 View Post
    I watched this and thought it was amazing. Job well done

Sent from my SM-G960F using MerNetwork mobile app
    Thank you so much!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Princess of the sea View Post

Oh my gosh that AMAZING! You did a fantastic job! Kuddos!!

My vlog of MerMagicCon!
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

Caught on security camera! I like that effect there.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MerNetwork mobile app

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of Cali

Visit johnleeex's Youtube Channel
    Here is a pointer to an unusual mermaid video. It is long and filmed mostly deep underwater
    in clear warm oceans with scuba https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jiFYmxmk10

Two beautiful mermaids are diving in the South Pacific and the Caribbean - down to great depths. They are wearing full mermaid dive suits and standard SCUBA gear - except buoyancy compensators. It shows the elegance and practicality of combining the power of mermaid tails with SCUBA equipment - a combination which was long thought to be impractical. Far from being so! The tails give them great power and speed not possible with dual fins and a draggy BC. This is a one hour long documentary, showing a challenging deep wreck dive (start 29:48) very far from land, encounters with dolphins, sting rays, octopus, barracudas and many other animals, posing on beaches and even how to get back on a boat in a mermaid suit (it's not difficult). And at the very end it poses a puzzle for experienced sailors. Leave a comment if you figure it out!

Nice video, quite impressive and all the animals were fantastic especially the dolphins. I liked it a lot. But for the final puzzle i'm far from an experimented sailor and have zero idea of the answer.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Notice that all of them are not undulating but kicking with their legs. And their "monofins" are two bifins together.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of Cali

Yeap, these are two modified bi-fins (Cressi freediving fins) held side by side with a flexible plate. Much easier to transport on small planes flying to exotic islands!

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of Cali

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Fina View Post
    Nice video, quite impressive and all the animals were fantastic especially the dolphins. I liked it a lot. But for the final puzzle i'm far from an experimented sailor and have zero idea of the answer.
    Thanks for the kind words!
    Well, nobody ever solved the nautical puzzle :-). I'll post the answer later this weekend..

What's the propulsion like with the two bifins together?

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of Cali

Hi MM Jaffa,
    the propulsion is excellent, because the bi-fins they used are very high quality Cressi freediving fins. I cut a piece of stiff epoxy fiberglass to round out the shape so that it would look like a proper mermaid fin when assembled and used 8 stainless steel screws and nuts to connect the fiberglass plate to the Cressi plates, plus a tiewrap holding the fins together near the foot pockets. Very simple and efficient. Oh, I also cast two ~ 1 lb lead weights to mount just in front of the toes to compensate for the buoyancy of the neoprene covering the fin assembly, so that it was about neutral. Once we got caught in a a current and I, with BC and normal dive gear could not make any headway. My wife (mermaid) just grabbed me by the tank and dragged me along, so powerful was her fin. best...

Quote Originally Posted by johnleeex View Post
    Hi MM Jaffa,
    the propulsion is excellent, because the bi-fins they used are very high quality Cressi freediving fins. I cut a piece of stiff epoxy fiberglass to round out the shape so that it would look like a proper mermaid fin when assembled and used 8 stainless steel screws and nuts to connect the fiberglass plate to the Cressi plates, plus a tiewrap holding the fins together near the foot pockets. Very simple and efficient. Oh, I also cast two ~ 1 lb lead weights to mount just in front of the toes to compensate for the buoyancy of the neoprene covering the fin assembly, so that it was about neutral. Once we got caught in a a current and I, with BC and normal dive gear could not make any headway. My wife (mermaid) just grabbed me by the tank and dragged me along, so powerful was her fin. best...
    Cool! I had always thought bifins were weak substitutes for monofins.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Cool! I had always thought bifins were weak substitutes for monofins.
    no, many bifins have better propulsion than monofins. Depends on the length, and the type.

I think monofins are only favoured by mers because they hold up the fluke shape better, and are easier to learn dolphinkick with if you're not that good a swimmer.
    Once I was in a lane with two dudes with bifins, they were just casually and lazily paddling along, but were just as fast as me with a Rapid on (although it should probably be called "Slowpoke" instead ), so yea bifins are pretty good unless you put a ton of trailing fabric around them, then a monofin's propulsion is probably better.

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of Cali

Hi Jaffa,
    Basically you are correct, if everything else is the same (a big if!) then monofins are better. Here is the somewhat complex reason.
    I'm a pilot and since aerodynamics and hydrodynamics are very similar (except for the very different "Reynolds numbers" regimes of a diver and an airplane, but both are fluids), one can transfer many lessons from planes to fins. Fins are actually far more complicated to analyze than rigid wings, but for the level of discussion here we will ignore that.
    Sailplanes are most efficient airplanes known, measured by 'glide ratio x'. This means, if a sailplane -in calm winds- is released from tow one km above a flat landscape and glides down, it can go x kilometers before touching down. x ranges between 20 and 60 for sailplanes. A jet airliner is 15-25. A Cessna is 10. If you look at any sailplane, you find that its wing has a high aspect ratio, i.e. high ratio of wing length to wing width. The higher the aspect ratio (=long wing) the better it is. This has to do what happens at the wing tips . The higher pressure below the wing curls around and meets with the lower pressure at the top of the wing. This is called wingtip vortex and can be thought of as two horizontal tornadoes trailing behind the two wing tips. They are quite violent, if you enter a wingtip vortex in a smaller plane than you can spun around your longitudinal axis in a second or so! This violent energy in the vortices needs to come from somewhere - namely from the energy of the plane's engines and can be thought of as a source of big drag!

A pair of bi-fins is indeed as bad as it gets: First, they have 4 edges, i.e. 4 wingtip vortices and their aspect ratio is very low because they are longer than wide - very bad. A monofin has only two edges, good, and it can be made wide - good. The best monofin out there, the Lunocet, incorporates all these principles..
    The two bi-fins mounted together as I described, hydro-dynamically speaking, act as a monofin and since the underlying fins are good (stiff), it is a good monofin.

Google wingtip vortices for images, there are quite a few dramatic ones on the web. eg
    https://www.reddit.com/r/flightsim/c...tices_effects/

best j

https://youtu.be/ywcYvKD2zPc a new review video!

Sent from my SM-A205W using Tapatalk
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

Creature Fins silicone mermaid tail unboxing! It's my first silicone tail and I have a lot more content with it on the way!