Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mono fin comparisons? Suntail vs. Fin fun

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Member Undisclosed Pod
    Union of Pods of the North

Mono fin comparisons? Suntail vs. Fin fun

Hi guys! So, I know the tail skins for these fins are interchangeable and usually suntail prints are prettier. But I was wondering what the general preference is between their monofins?

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

From what I've seen out and about, people prefer the Suntails monofin over FinFun's. I only own the former, so I can't say much much in terms of comparison.

I do know that the Suntails monofin is sturdy and has a much better propulsion than I had initially expected it to. From what I've read/been told, FinFun monofins are flappy, though it has been remedied slightly with their newer versions.

While I've only used the one, I can say that I highly recommend the Suntails. I use it often at my local lake and it easily gets me to the bottom - even in the deepest of areas.
    It's like the tide, always falling and rising
    I will carry you here in my heart
    You'll remind me
    That come what may, I know the way
    I am Moana - Disney's Moana

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Okay awesome thanks! I also read a few reviews where people said the suntail monofins straps fall off very easily. Has that ever happened to you?

Quote Originally Posted by aquamarie View Post
    Okay awesome thanks! I also read a few reviews where people said the suntail monofins straps fall off very easily. Has that ever happened to you?
    I've never had the straps fall off but, oh!, how I wish they were tighter. I have tiny feet. I usually wear a size 5-7 depending on whether I'm in boots, casual shoes, heels, etc. My normal pair of shoes is 5, my heels are 6 and boots tend to be 7 (due to my calves). My feet are also narrow and tiny so I've had a few issues with the fin due to that.

My toes reach the second strap down and that's about it. Ideally, it would continue on a bit for leverage. My first few times I went out, it was normal. But as the material naturally stretched, it's starting to become an issue. I haven't tried the "X" form or ankle straps but, if you have tiny feet, then you may have to make adjustments.
    It's like the tide, always falling and rising
    I will carry you here in my heart
    You'll remind me
    That come what may, I know the way
    I am Moana - Disney's Moana

Quote Originally Posted by Ligeia View Post
    I've never had the straps fall off but, oh!, how I wish they were tighter. I have tiny feet. I usually wear a size 5-7 depending on whether I'm in boots, casual shoes, heels, etc. My normal pair of shoes is 5, my heels are 6 and boots tend to be 7 (due to my calves). My feet are also narrow and tiny so I've had a few issues with the fin due to that.

My toes reach the second strap down and that's about it. Ideally, it would continue on a bit for leverage. My first few times I went out, it was normal. But as the material naturally stretched, it's starting to become an issue. I haven't tried the "X" form or ankle straps but, if you have tiny feet, then you may have to make adjustments.
    I had the exact same issue with my SunTail monofin, and I found a really easy solution. All I did was stictch a small seam down the length of the stretchy "sock" part that goes around your ankles about an inch or two in from the back. I was worried the seam might pop as soon as I slid my feet into it, but to my surprise, it held up really well because that part is so stretchy. It gave my feet just the right amount of "push" forward so they would stay all the way under the straps without sliding back off the edge, and I was able to swim a lot better with more control!

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Okay thank you so much!

I actually just got a suntail and monofin about a week ago. I had fin funs that I have been using, well for parties and my daughter uses it. Plus I made 3 just like it. I dont have the new rubber insert so its the plastic insert. The suntail seems alot more sturdy and less breakable. Going to the beach in a week so will test them out. which one has a strap? Mine are just foot pockets. I used to have that pink Finis one and that has a back strap that never stays up. Those come with the Swim tails. I personally hate that monofin.

Member Undisclosed Pod
    I decided to go with the finfun because we both have really small feet and I'm not crafty enough to fix up the suntail ones like I've see others on here do. Also, if I find its not enough propulsion for me I've read suggestions of adding a replacement insert to the existing one and I'll do that for an easy fix! I just order our tails this morning! Her skin is from finfun and mine is from suntail due to sizing. I'm really excited! It's a birthday surprise for her (she's turning 10)!

Does anyone have a photo of the sun tail fin vs. fin fun? Are they really interchangeable with the tail skins?
    Beautiful beaded tops and silicone fins and flukes for enhancing your tail at my Etsy shop: Fancy Fish Fashions!
    Follow me on Facebook

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Yes, someone on here told me they have used them interchangeably! I don't have photos though but the shape of the fins looks the same. Hopefully it works for me or I'll be disappointed. I'll let you know when they arrive!

Member Undisclosed Pod
    http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?t=13720
    That's the thread where I was told they're interchangeable

That was me! My friend has a Suntail skin and she uses an old finfun monofin in hers for now but the new finfun I have is the same size. We can post pics if you guys wanna see! There is a photo in the fabric tails appreciation thread from a few days ago but it's under water. We are thinking of doing a more detailed comparison once her Suntail monofin arrives. Being interchangeable is a real cool factor for us.

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Yes it was you! I have also heard the magictail monofins/skins are interchangeable with finfun and as a result suntail. I decided to go with the finfun monofin because we have very small feet and the newer finfun one seems much stronger (hopefully). And the suntail skin because I hear they were prettier than finfun and thicker as well.
    I'll post reviews when I get them!
    I also was talking to I think Jess from suntail and she said later in August they will be releasing new skin colours that are made from a more durable fabric!!!!

I was wondering if anyone has tried to fit a Mahina Merfin into either of these skins? I bought a Mahina, and will probably make a couple fabric tails to cover- just wondering if you know ANYONE who has tried slipping the skin over the monsterous monofin. I know the skins are stretchy- just wondering how stretchy... any advice would be appreciated!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidenspins View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has tried to fit a Mahina Merfin into either of these skins? I bought a Mahina, and will probably make a couple fabric tails to cover- just wondering if you know ANYONE who has tried slipping the skin over the monsterous monofin. I know the skins are stretchy- just wondering how stretchy... any advice would be appreciated!
    No.

Though I do know of a mermaid that has smaller sized feet and were able to fit a Fin Fun skin over her merfin. But her merfin was the smallest child size.

The other sizes of merfins, both adult and child size, are too big for the pre-made tail skins.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Thanks Mermaid Jaffa!

This is a wonderful thread! I probably would buy a suntails monofin if I didn't already have 2 other kinds that would fit in my monofin. And yes there are 5 mermaid tail makers that have interchangeable monofins: FinFun, Magictail, Suntails, Delfina and Mermaker. If anyone has a video review of the Suntail monofin, I will gladly add it to the playlist of reviews I made to coincide my review of the Suntail tailskin as I didn't purchase their monofin.
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

JK, I got one! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB5_PJ8PbNg

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I have one too. Here's my review of it. Second link is the Sun Tail Nunui inside a womens size L Magictail.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Xg77koX5M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKhAVse1G4Q
    Formerly known as ireneho

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    Is Suntail monofin faster than FF?