Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Underwater Instruments

That's really neat! I'm surprised the violin worked but not the guitar considering it's the rosin on the bow that grips and agitates the string to play and the rosin would dissolve in water. The shark ocarina specifically and most of the ones I've looked at are clay, however there are a few beginner pones that are plastic.
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

Junior Member Chesapeake Pod SelkieCyrus's Avatar
    in the air of "something one can play, and wont bother anybody, also water resistant" https://www.amazon.com/szkn-Kalimba-...915882&sr=8-15 there have been these 'crystal' acrylic kalimbas/mbiras floating around. im looking to get an 8 key pendant one for myself for the same reason. they are metal tynes vibrating, so though they will sound muted and plucky underwater, they will work swimmingly above water. added bonus, they are locked into a key, so it is very hard to make it sound bad for the untrained.

as for instruments that mers might make or use, i have often thought percussive instruments hold the key. sound travels faster under water, and under the right atmospheric conditions, further, in something called the deep sound channel. the only thing hindering underwater acoustics is the energy necessary to vibrate water molecules compared to air. so if a continuous ringing sound can be made, it could be heard far and wide. so instruments a-kin to tongue drums, gongs, handpans, buddhist bell bowls and such, that can produce a continuous or repeated vibration would work well. doubly so, that some brass and bronze alloys are resistant to corrosion.

there are "wind" instruments that use the ocean's energy to play it. although, technically, it is still played above water https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n86pF-wQKrw
    Last edited by SelkieCyrus; 05-08-2020 at 01:53 AM.