Thread: A question for everybody (earplug recommendations?)

A question for everybody (earplug recommendations?)

Hey guys, not sure if this is the right place, but I'm wondering if anybody has earplugs recommendations. I have a whole in one eardrum from having tubes when I was a toddler, so I need to wear an ear plug while swimming to keep water from my inner ear. So far I've been using what's cheap and what works from walmart and such stores, but since getting into mermaiding and moving into an apartment with a pool, I swim a lot more. I feel it's time to go out and buy a really good set of ear plugs.

So! My question is, what's your recommended brand or type of earplugs? I don't care too much about cost, I just want a dang good set.

Senior Member Pod of The South Rebela Hunter's Avatar
    I can help you out !

I love swimming, but I have ear problems that make it to where my ears pop and the wax holds in water, making it unbearable. I had a 2 year swim class and we did some diving and stuff, but I survived because I found a box of Mack's Silicone Ear Plugs ! [Click the link to see them]
    They're not like traditional earplugs and are extremely good at keeping out water ! The most they cost is $10 USD, so they're not overly expensive and they're easy to replace or gets spares of! They're mold-able to fit your ear however you please. Keep in mind that they may seem a bit odd at first and hard to put on, but you'll get the hang of it!

Good luck!
    'And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' - Matthew 4:19 (KJV)

Hobbyist Mermaid & Orca Enthusiast
    DeviantART || Facebook || Instagram

Thank you! I have a box of those, and they do work for the most part, but after a while I can't get them to stay on. That's just in one bought of swimming. I'll keep working with them though. I still have a decent amount left. Any tips for working with them?

I've never used earplugs before this last swim. I honestly do t remember the brand but they were the silicone putty type plugs that just sit over the ear hole and seal it up and it worked great. If they don't seem to be big enough because of your specific issue, I would say maybe splitting a second one in half and combining it with a regular one in order to make it like one and a half times.
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

I am so happy to see other mers using earplugs. I was so nervous about this since I can't go under without ear plugs or I get a wickedly painful swimmer's ear.

Has anyone had to explain the earplugs to kids yet?
    I am thinking of telling them that the water in a pool is very noisy compared to the ocean and all the noise hurts my ears, so I wear earplugs.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Nigma View Post
    Has anyone had to explain the earplugs to kids yet?
    I am thinking of telling them that the water in a pool is very noisy compared to the ocean and all the noise hurts my ears, so I wear earplugs.
    Honestly, with the way the minds of children work, that should be sufficient. They are so busy thinking of their next questions and so excited about being around a real live mermaid that they will only be half listening to any answers you give. If you don't want to go with a noise related answer, you can say that the chlorine of the pool is damaging to your magical ear drums. It isn't a lie it all since the water in general is damaging but if you clarify that it is the chlorine, they won't question it. Same thing goes for goggles.
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

Quote Originally Posted by theMerFanc View Post
    Honestly, with the way the minds of children work, that should be sufficient. They are so busy thinking of their next questions and so excited about being around a real live mermaid that they will only be half listening to any answers you give. If you don't want to go with a noise related answer, you can say that the chlorine of the pool is damaging to your magical ear drums. It isn't a lie it all since the water in general is damaging but if you clarify that it is the chlorine, they won't question it. Same thing goes for goggles.
    Yes!!! That's perfect!!!