Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wannabe mermaid from the UK

Wink Wannabe mermaid from the UK

Hi guys

i have always loved to swim, have always loved marine animals, I grew up watching free willy and splash and the little mermaid till I was blue in the face. I am also a Pisces

Recently discovered these silicone mermaid tails and have fell in love... I REEEEEEEEALLY want one.

The tails look so beautiful and majestic.

I emailed fin folk this morning so awaiting a reply regarding prices etc.

im just wondering if there are other people into mermaids etc as I am in the UK? Are there meet ups to show off our tails and swimming in them etc

im new to all of this so any tips and advice please get at me!

Hi! I am from the Uk, too. We got a merpod on fb, if you want to find us: merpod uk

It is great that you want to be a mermaid too! I only have one concern: have you swam in a mermaid tail before or with a monofin? I read that you are currently interested in a silicone tail. You must know some things about them first, if you are new to this: they are HEAVY, more difficult to swim with than a fabric one, very expensive, not indestructible and not recommended for mers who are not fully grown (to avoid disappointment in terms of them growing really fast and the tail being too small and short). Otherwise, yes they are amazing! I am currently in the process of ordering one i.e. Their making the molds at the moment. I have swam with a monofin first, then got myself a fabric tail and swam with that for a long time (there are some beautiful ones out there). I personally would recommend starting out slow and then later think about a silicone one. It could also be that after a year or so you don't like mermaiding after all and then you got a pricey silicone tail lying around.
    Raina has a really good vlog on youtube, that helped me and other mers a lot, especially when you start out.

I hope this helps!
    Good luck!
    <object classid="clsidFacebook: Mermaid Miradis ------- Twitter: @MermaidMiradis
    mermaidmiradis@gmail.com
    YouTube: Mermaid Miradis
    </object>

Uk mermaid here to Welcome in the crew!!!

I totally agree with Miradis, try a mono fin first, then a fabric and if you like it (which you will lol) you can invest in a silicone one.
    Claudia of the Sea.

Junior Member Euro Pod
    Hi BunnyMoon,

Nice to meet a fellow UK Pisces! I'm also new to the Mernetwork and to tails and monofins but have fallen head over fins in love! I've been playing with a very simple monofin while I wait for my first tail (fabric) and will see how things go from there. I think like Miradis said, it's probably wise to work your way up. That's what I'm doing. I'm a massive fan of wild swimming and snorkelling but with a monofin, it is a whole new experience and it certainly takes getting used to. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and take myself down to the local pool to get some practice! I haven't been in a proper pool for about eight years and have been very proud of this! Rivers and sea all the way! I think there was somewhere on here that had location based meet ups. It would definitely be great to meet some other merfolk and swim together. I'm based in the southwest and I am not aware of many people down here but around London there are a few I believe. Which end of the country are you?

London here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Claudia of the Sea.

Junior Member Euro Pod
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudiaofthesea View Post
    London here
    Nice. I used to live in London but I've abandoned it for the rolling hills and clear waters of the west country! Where are you able to swim in London?

Thanks for the replies guys

i do have flippers that I used in Cornwall this month, I swam with both feet together and got on fine. So I'd be interested in a fabric tail as the next step. I have looked around on the net and it seems there are only children ones available? Although I am 5'2 so they might fit?

i have strong legs, I have been practicing yoga for 15+ years. So I like to think I could cope with the weight of a silicone tail. Does the weight of the tail put stress on the back? As I can suffer with back pain...

Could you guys give me a rough price on what one would cost?

With these tails can you just rock up to a swimming pool and the staff be ok with you using it in the pool? I'd be worried about people staring and making me feel awkward etc.

im from London too

could you post some links of reputable places to buy a tail from too?

Thanks again

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Grey Gambit's Avatar
    Add Grey Gambit on Facebook
    Follow Grey Gambit on Tumblr
    Hello fellow Pisces!

I've heard good things about MagicTail (although I purchased my monofin from FinFun).

Hmm not as spectacular as the silicone ones....

Fallen in love with this tail... Lion fish :O

https://youtu.be/IdAsSJkTj6E

Silicone tails will run you anywhere from $2,000 on up. I believe the one you're eyeing is about $3,000.

I have a fabric tail from Fin Fun, and they're fintastic! I love the scale pattern. I got a custom size for $150.

Twilight darkens, yet there in the shade,
    Lies a glimmering shadow, the wild mermaid;

As night draws ever closer, there's a choice to be made--
    Will you stay as you are, or be delivered to the waves?

Laumina the Storm Siren

Instagram: mermaidwhisperofficial | Facebook: Mermaid Whisper | YouTube: Mermaid Whisper

Welcome to the community bunnymoon.
    Sink or Swim

Quote Originally Posted by MaristellaMeri View Post
    Nice. I used to live in London but I've abandoned it for the rolling hills and clear waters of the west country! Where are you able to swim in London?
    I use to swim in my friend's pool in Essex , but we have now very different schedules so it has been hard for me to go and practice there with my mono fin.

I recently swam for 15 days in south of France in pool, sea,lake and river it was awesome!

It is really a hard one in London they are really funny about swimming with tails for health and safety reasons, this is probably the biggest question for us UK mermaids! Where to swim???!!!
    I swim (without a tail) in the Olympic pool though I wish I could swim with my tail but no way.... Hopefully people get more aware about us merpeople and become more open to us swimming about

Also , i am interested in the London Diving Centre anyone been there???
    Claudia of the Sea.

So $3k in £s is? Lol

The internet is your friend.

Twilight darkens, yet there in the shade,
    Lies a glimmering shadow, the wild mermaid;

As night draws ever closer, there's a choice to be made--
    Will you stay as you are, or be delivered to the waves?

Laumina the Storm Siren

Instagram: mermaidwhisperofficial | Facebook: Mermaid Whisper | YouTube: Mermaid Whisper

2306.81 British Pound is 3000 $ thank you Google
    Claudia of the Sea.

Oh thank you!!

Not too terrible then lol

would the the lion fish style be hard to swim with? Drag etc

My guess is Yep, It might be heavy to drag and you must a confident swimmer to make those thin flowwwwwwwwww
    Claudia of the Sea.

Just priced it up on finfolk it come to 4700$

mega lol

Also, the lionfish tail in that video is extra flowy b/c it does NOT have a monofin - which means it'd be REALLY difficult to swim in! A monofin makes swimming easier, but it generally reduces that flowy effect. I would definitely recommend a monofin tail (fabric or silicone) before trying to swim in a silicone tail without one.