Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wannabe mermaid from the UK

I see what you mean. Thanks for your input! I shall definitely have to start off lightly... Are the silicone tails really awkward to get on and off? Or is it easy peasy in water ?

if you cover yourself of lub: no problemo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Claudia of the Sea.

Junior Member Euro Pod
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyMoon View Post
    I have looked around on the net and it seems there are only children ones available? Although I am 5'2 so they might fit?
    I'm 5'2 also and I ordered one that was a size 12 (not dress size I assume otherwise it will fall off me!) which was the next size up from the children's sized tales. I just got it on Amazon and there were plenty of adult sized tails on there. I didn't want anything expensive because this is my first tail and I am just starting out. I think the 12 is sometimes listed as a child sized tail but I reckon you will be okay. I'll update on how mine fits when it arrives. I assume because I can wear kids clothing in age twelve, I'll fit into this fine. If you can also, you'll probably be fine too. Good luck tail choosing! Exciting!

Where did you get it from at the end?
    Claudia of the Sea.

Wannabe mermaid from the UK

I got mine from delfina, as they have a lovely 3D print of a silicone tail (150€). I am very tall myself (5'9"), but still had to have it shortened a bit. But they have different sizes there, and different models.
    I would recommend wearing some sort of shoes inside though, as otherwise the propulsion is not very good. There are many pretty fabric tails out there! A monofin is however different than swimming with two flippers and holding them together, so it's good to swim a bit with the monofin only beforehand before using the skin. And please don't forget to practise removing it quickly in case of emergency!
    <object classid="clsidFacebook: Mermaid Miradis ------- Twitter: @MermaidMiradis
    mermaidmiradis@gmail.com
    YouTube: Mermaid Miradis
    </object>

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Miradis View Post
    I got mine from delfina, as they have a lovely 3D print of a silicone tail (150€). I am very tall myself (5'9"), but still had to have it shortened a bit. But they have different sizes there, and different models.
    I would recommend wearing some sort of shoes inside though, as otherwise the propulsion is not very good. There are many pretty fabric tails out there! A monofin is however different than swimming with two flippers and holding them together, so it's good to swim a bit with the monofin only beforehand before using the skin. And please don't forget to practise removing it quickly in case of emergency!

I am the same size as you, what size did you go for in the Delfina range?
    Claudia of the Sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Claudiaofthesea View Post
    I am the same size as you, what size did you go for in the Delfina range?
    I chose 15 years and older, can't complain
    <object classid="clsidFacebook: Mermaid Miradis ------- Twitter: @MermaidMiradis
    mermaidmiradis@gmail.com
    </object>

Would you guys mind posting links of where I can look at these fabric tails? I've no idea where to look

thank u

Visit Talia's Youtube Channel
    Delfina: http://delfinamermaid.com/

FinFun: http://finfunmermaid.com/

You already know about Magictail

Thank you... They are for children... I'm not sold on the fabric ones at all I'm afraid sorry.

however this looks really good from mernation, lightweight and cheaper lol

http://www.themernation.com/genesis-edition/

I am sure that those fabric ones are not for children, as some of them would be waaay to big for them. I am 18 myself and I know older mers who have fabric tails. The ones you mentioned from mernation are also silicone, which brings the problems already stated above. Believe me, you don't want one just yet. Save your money and disappointment, as it is really difficult to swim in one if you never swam with a monofin or in general a tail before. Also this is 100% silicone i.e. The heaviest you can get (without any other additional heavy things (e.g. Competitor fin) like silicone e.g. Extra fins. They are just more lightweight than other silicone tails, but they are not recommended for first time merpeople.
    Most of us would not recommend a silicone tail yet. As unlikely as it seems now, you might find you don't want to do this anymore if you swim in a silicone tail, as e.g. the fluke is too heavy to lift and you have difficulties swimming, as you are not accustomed to the new feeling. And it is much more work to clean than a fabric one (that one you don't have to scrub, soak, wipe etc.). Farbic is a fun way to start and be comfortable in this new way of swimming, as you can't really move your legs apart, unlike keeping your legs together without a tail.
    Fabric tails are not just for children, as there are many pro mers who wear one and are successful nonetheless. And there weren't any adult sized ones, if there were not adults wearing them. If you worry about the price of fabric tails: they are worth their money AND there are cheaper ones out there, too.

Good luck!
    mermaidmiradis@gmail.com
    </object>

Visit Talia's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyMoon View Post
    Thank you... They are for children... I'm not sold on the fabric ones at all I'm afraid sorry.
    Ah, no. They are for adults too. I myself have 3 fabric tails, and I am 40 years old.

If you do not like fabric tails that's fine. But don't dismiss them as children's tails; many of us like them and use them regularly.

Also, what Mermaid Miradis said.

I meant the links you posted are for children... I don't mean ALL fabric tails are for children... Also there are no adults modeling the tails on the delfina page soo....leads me to believe they're for kids...Also the oldest age is 15+.... Sooo..How does this guarantee it'd fit an adult....??

Is is there an adult section on there I am just not seeing?????
    Last edited by Mermaid Emeraldina; 08-12-2016 at 12:55 PM.

This looks like a happy medium.. Fabric and a bit of silicone.... But age 15+ doesnt exactly mean adult though ????

http://delfinamermaid.com/shop/merma...-for-swimming/

lost

I had the same thought about that, but once I saw the measurements (can't remember where I found them), I was sure and got myself one. I am 5'9" and have reaaaly long legs. I had the tail to be shortened, because it was too long. Also: if you are a bit bigger, it will fill out the fabric and it's shorter (my problem too, so I filled out the tail in every way possible). If you are skinny it will be really long.

The one in the link looks like a mahina monofin with tail fabric skin. This means that you have an advantage: this is a really good monofin to start out with (am I right merpeople? Otherwise please correct). Afterwards you can use the tail fabric skin in combination with the monofin to get used to having a tail.
    mermaidmiradis@gmail.com
    </object>

I'm now thinking of getting just a monofin by mahina. They look really good

gonna sleep on it before I order it lol

That's a great idea! And you can paint it yourself, too!
    mermaidmiradis@gmail.com
    </object>

Wannabe mermaid from the UK

If you want to add some colour details yourself to the fluke, than I am sure you can find out the type of paint needed in the tailmaking section of the forum. they are really nice monofins!
    mermaidmiradis@gmail.com
    </object>

OH wow! Cool

i think my my plan is to order this mahina monofin and go swimming with it at my local public pool...ill tell the life guards I'm using it for exercise as I've read it does actually work out the abs and legs.... I think I'll go for the blue over the orange colour....I think the orange sticks out too much if it was pink I'd have gone for it.... I can order it on amazon and there's some in the uk so I won't have to wait for it to be shipped.

i believe in the future when I am ready I'd like to go balls deep and order a tail from finfolk and get the individual scale upgrade, no one else I've seen does that and it looks so awesome and lifelike. I like to think if you're gonna do it do it properly lol, I think it'd be worth the price! And the dorsal fin (like what mermaid lorelie has) side fins and that fluke she has too.

Ive slept on it and still want the mahina monofin so I think I shall just get it.

Thank you you for your help everyone. Being uneducated I would have just dived straight in with a silicone which I've learned now would be a stoopid idea