Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP w/ Piracy, copycats and Fake tails at the Brazilian Pod

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Rocky Mountain Pod
    Pod of The South
    Add H-SAMA on Facebook
    Visit H-SAMA's Youtube Channel

HELP w/ Piracy, copycats and Fake tails at the Brazilian Pod

Hi guys. I usually don't post much here and sorry if it's on the wrong area but we don't know what to do anymore to combat piracy.
    HELP US!!

Aliexpress is selling fake tails again and because of our economy the Brazilian mermaids all want to buy the fake tails.

We've been explaining and erasing the posts offering the fake tails but
    honestly we cannot block every single person in Brazil and even if we do, they might buy themselves at aliexpress.

It's not a new problem here that the Chinese are copying the pictures of Finfolk, Finfun, Mertailor and others.

But I'd like to know how to deal with it. IDEAS?
    How did you guys solve the problem before?
    How to talk to the young ones that are attacked to cheap prices?
    Can you help us report the fake products at aliexpress? (maybe if we cut the source..)

PLUS;
    we also had a painter recreating in a very realistic way finfolk's tail of mermaid syrena. How to deal with realistic works of art that recreate tails? Art? Piracy? Idk really and our moderators have mixed feelings... HELP

EDIT : pictures

host gif online
    Last edited by H-SAMA; 05-22-2017 at 04:02 PM. Reason: insert pictures

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

unfortunately all you can do is point out why it's better to go with the originals. it's becoming a bigger issue as mermaiding blows up. it sucks, I know.

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Rocky Mountain Pod
    Pod of The South
    Add H-SAMA on Facebook
    Visit H-SAMA's Youtube Channel
    Hi, thank you for the reply Raina. Can you be more specific?
    Should we keep erasing the posts? Just talk and try to explain why the originals are better?
    Block Sellers? Don't block them? Report at ali? don't report...?

We're lost here merpeople, anything will help!
    thank you very much!

I mean none of that will stop it. Finfolk's designs will stop getting stolen once they take measures that other tail makers have taken to prevent them from being printed out, such as watermarks across the tail, not taking straight on photos etc

Senior Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Clarity's Avatar

Follow Mermaid Clarity on Tumblr

Since the onus is unfortunately only on Finfolk to copyright their designs and press charges, you're stuck fighting the very small ground battle. I'm sorry.

Merman Mortimer, I see you and your intense lack of empathy for people who are having their livelihoods stolen have resurfaced. Perhaps you can try being constructive instead of quoting movies next time someone needs help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Formerly known as Selkish

Pod of New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Selkish View Post
    Since the onus is unfortunately only on Finfolk to copyright their designs and press charges, you're stuck fighting the very small ground battle. I'm sorry.

Merman Mortimer, I see you and your intense lack of empathy for people who are having their livelihoods stolen have resurfaced. Perhaps you can try being constructive instead of quoting movies next time someone needs help?

Selkish we went though this before and everyone already knows that nothing can be done unless like Raina said Finfolk takes proper measures to avoid this by water marking on top of their product and not taking straight on shots of the tails, Im sure The Sisters know this by know they're not amateurs so the fact that they still havent taken the proper measures to stop this they two are partly to blame, if a bank leaves the doors open and security off i would rob that bank, that's basically what Finfolk has done...

Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

Quote Originally Posted by Marinus Mortimer View Post
    Selkish we went though this before and everyone already knows that nothing can be done unless like Raina said Finfolk takes proper measures to avoid this by water marking on top of their product and not taking straight on shots of the tails, Im sure The Sisters know this by know they're not amateurs so the fact that they still havent taken the proper measures to stop this they two are partly to blame, if a bank leaves the doors open and security off i would rob that bank, that's basically what Finfolk has done...

However you feel about robbing banks and taking property from other people, it doesn't make your responses constructive on any of the forums that have involved piracy beyond blaming the victims. Not to mention, it comes off kind of incredibly rude and smug. I've seen you do this twice now, hence calling you out.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Ashton's Avatar
    Add Ashton on Facebook Add Ashton on Google+
    Follow Ashton on Tumblr Visit Ashton's Youtube Channel
    Hey Marinus- I see that you are trying to help and possible explain things, but your execution on doing so coming off as rude. I think you are trying to play the devils advocate, and defend the people who are stealing images that are not theirs and printing them on fabric. The fact is that you are not Finfolk and are not aware of what they are doing on their side with this issue. So please REEL it in.

Pod of New England
    Im not defending no one i simply don't see anything wrong with the fact that they stole those pictures, plus its great promotion for them, i have peen told i sound rude its never my intention so yeah whatever piracy is always happening to everyone that makes anything im not saying its a good thing but i don't see it as a bad thing either. There are worse things happening everyday and no one bats an eye so don't preach online justice at me cause that wont make a difference and Finfolk products will continue to be taken untill they do something about it...

Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

Pod of New England

Also lets not have the same argument all over again please.
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

Im not defending no one i simply don't see anything wrong with the fact that they stole those pictures, plus its great promotion for them, i have peen told i sound rude its never my intention so yeah whatever piracy is always happening to everyone that makes anything im not saying its a good thing but i don't see it as a bad thing either. There are worse things happening everyday and no one bats an eye so don't preach online justice at me cause that wont make a difference and Finfolk products will continue to be taken untill they do something about it...

This is exactly what you said the last thread. We're telling you to learn from the last time you were called out on this and keep the "tough nuts" talk to yourself because it's rude and not constructive. And low key, you used a metaphor commonly used to shame rape victims in your attempt to tell us all how little you personally care about the problem at hand.

Take the note. Or we can keep explaining I to you.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Ashton's Avatar
    Add Ashton on Facebook Add Ashton on Google+
    Follow Ashton on Tumblr Visit Ashton's Youtube Channel
    On Mernetwork and most of the world it is seen as BAD to STEAL.
    And when it comes to ART being taken from the original user/creator, it is considered STEALING when the person takes it and does not give credit to the original creator.

Breaking it down:

Stealing=Bad
    Taking art with out crediting the original creator = stealing = bad

Pod of New England

1. "Though nuts" i haven't disrespected you so please don't disrespect me. None of this is constructive talking about it wont change a thing.
    2. I don't know what metaphor your referring to but Not that is your business i my self an a victim of child rape so i would never "low key" so don't infer anything without knowing anything about me first.
    3. I don't care about the robbery of designs or art.
    4. You shouldn't waste your time. You can teach a blind man how to see the light.

Again if you saw what my opinions were last time why argue about it again???
    I shall quote another movie...

Take the note"

Last edited by Marinus Mortimer; 05-22-2017 at 08:14 PM.
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

3. I don't care about the robbery of designs or art.
    4. You shouldn't waste your time. You can teach a blind man how to see the light.

Cool, then you should have no business commenting on a forum about art theft.

Pod of New England
    Cool, then you should have no business commenting on a forum about art theft.

I can comment and say whatever i want, why do you continue to fight i have no intention to argue with you period.

Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

I can comment and say whatever i want, why do you continue to fight i have no intention to argue with you period.

Because you might learn something and make the community a better and more constructive place to be. Yknow, one that supports other mermaids and their businesses and protects their own when people are rude, abusive, or just plain mean. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences.

If money is tight, people gravitate towards cheaper options. The thing to do would be to just highlight the differences, why choose the original. Even if they buy fake, it's probably such bad quality that they'll soon buy the original though.

As for copying other designs, that's trickier. I mean, it requires talent too. Like forging painings. You can't put it in a museum, but you can hang it on your wall. I guess if just some random wants a tail that looks a certain way, it's okay, but definitely not a professional. If you're just a private person with too much money burning a hole in your pocket, nobody's going to even see it. A mermaid perfomer wearing another perfomers tail is kind of like stealing their image. So, in a way I think it as both, art as an homage to a beautiful piece, but also piracy in the professional circles. Also, like in paintngs, you can't claim it's an original, give credit where it's due and say that this was inspired by that.
    ~ Finland, the land of a thousand lakes and the midnight sun ~

Pod of New England
    Because you might learn something and make the community a better and more constructive place to be. Yknow, one that supports other mermaids and their businesses and protects their own when people are rude, abusive, or just plain mean. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences.

Ok you know what, your right selkish i just had a light bulb moment im a ne self thanks for the enlightenment...
    Can we move on now?

Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

Pod of New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquata View Post
    Even if they buy fake, it's probably such bad quality that they'll soon buy the original though.
    Exactly my point. Great product promotions.

Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus