Thread: monofin/tail diving?

Senior Member Pod of Cali Delphinus's Avatar
    Follow Delphinus On Twitter Add Delphinus on Facebook
    Visit Delphinus's Youtube Channel

monofin/tail diving?

Hey guys, so I've logged more dives, and have been having a blast when I can get out diving. I look back at that original post I made, and feel a little silly. According to my instructors (and a Marine vet/diver who thought I was an instructor), I'm a natural. Which is flattering, and I'll take the compliment. lol

Anyway, I'm curious if any of you lovely lot have done diving with a monofin, let alone a tail? I know it probably sounds utterly ridiculous, but figured I'd ask. In my still (realistically) short time as a diver I haven't seen too much in the way of scuba with monofins (let alone tails), as I imagine that people scuba diving with tails would be a VERY VERY VERY small minority, even compared to monofin scuba divers. --- I'm sure people do it, but I've only ever seen divers using two fins, one for each foot. From what I gather, monofins are really just used by freedivers.

I get the impression that the way the human body handles neutral buoyancy and motion while submerged would make monofin scuba kind of weird, if not difficult, with the scuba gear we use. Like the necesary motion for monofins in conjunction with the weights, vest, etc... Since we obviously train for standard fins and the associated motions and training for them.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, or anything like that. It's 3:24AM and I've been awake and working for many hours, so I didn't do any quick googling tonight to check on the fly.
    "Nella fantasia io vedo un mondo giusto, lìtutti vivono in pace e in onestà."

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mer-Crazy's Avatar

Visit Mer-Crazy's Youtube Channel
    I think also the dolphin kick would be more difficult with rigid tanks strapped to your back as it would hinder the full range of motion you need to properly perform the dolphin kick.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    Diving as a Mer is a thing.

http://otterbaysuits.com/Mermaidhome.htm
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

I'm a scuba diver. I've never done it in a tail, though I guess I would feel comfortable doing it, since I can swim very fast in my tail. The tanks aren't that big, at least, when I dive they feel as if they're part of my body. Very natural. I really like the extra weight, too. Makes it easier to swim.

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of Cali

Visit johnleeex's Youtube Channel
    Here is a link to a (long) video of two mermaids scuba diving: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jiFYmxmk10
    Some of these dives are very deep and they do all the diving without BC, relying entirely on the powerful thrust of their tails.