Thread: Frustrated Merman

Frustrated Merman

I have spent YEARS designing my dream tail. I'm not even joking about that. Now that I have a design, I want to bring it to life. I am not artistic at all, so making it myself is out of the question because of how complicated it is. I've done research on so many tail makers that I have lost count. I finally settled on Syren Studios, but she's on hiatus so that is out of the question. I'm starting to realize that very few tail makers can meet my needs. Merbella probably could, but I don't have Facebook, nor do I ever intend to make an account, so that won't work. Most tail makers I've looked at don't have a fluke design that's similar enough to my own and don't take custom flukes, don't have the additional fins I want, don't have good reviews, don't have the best products, or are just too expensive for me. I know that silicone tails are generally expensive, but I can't do $4,000+. I'm still in high school. I have a job, but I make $6,000 a year at best. I'm kind of to the point of giving up. I feel like this will never happen for me. I'll never get my tail. My dream is to work at Waikiki aquarium as a professional merman before I go into the military. If I can't get this tail, I'll have to give that up.
    "There has got to be more to life than just being really, really, really ridiculously good-looking."
    -Derek Zoolander

You've been waiting a while clearly, but understand that making tails also takes a while. Some people waiting for MerBella's are on like over 800 days waiting now, I think. It's okay to feel frustrated and impatient, but if you're looking for someone else to make it, your waiting game hasn't even begun yet.

You're still in high school, which means you're still young. Don't give up on this because you don't want to wait--you have so, so much time ahead of you. It's easy to want it all now, but if the military is also in your immediate plans, that'll put everything in your life on hold. Take a deep breath and look at the other waits to work toward your goal as well--even if it's not a dream-perfection silicone tail, do you have a monofin or other tail to "hold you over"? Syren Studios is on a hiatus but hiatus certainly doesn't mean forever. Don't give up forever just because the timing isn't right.

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    It definitely frustrating when things like this happen! I began my silicone tail years ago and I'm still not done. I wanted it for last summer, I wanted it for an upcoming trip to Hawaii, but I probably won't be able to finish it. That's just life sometimes! In the mean time I love swimming in my fabric tails, and am planning on making another one just for ease of travel. If tail-swimming is for you, you'll still want to do it after the military! Just because it can't happen now doesn't mean it can't happen ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MerEmma View Post
    You've been waiting a while clearly, but understand that making tails also takes a while. Some people waiting for MerBella's are on like over 800 days waiting now, I think. It's okay to feel frustrated and impatient, but if you're looking for someone else to make it, your waiting game hasn't even begun yet.

You're still in high school, which means you're still young. Don't give up on this because you don't want to wait--you have so, so much time ahead of you. It's easy to want it all now, but if the military is also in your immediate plans, that'll put everything in your life on hold. Take a deep breath and look at the other waits to work toward your goal as well--even if it's not a dream-perfection silicone tail, do you have a monofin or other tail to "hold you over"? Syren Studios is on a hiatus but hiatus certainly doesn't mean forever. Don't give up forever just because the timing isn't right.
    I do have a fabric tail, but it's falling apart. That's why I wanted to commission a silicone tail now. I understand that tails to lots of time to make, but that was part of starting now. Maybe sometime before I get out of college, at least, I'll get to have that dream job at the aquarium.

"There has got to be more to life than just being really, really, really ridiculously good-looking."
    -Derek Zoolander

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Wesley View Post
    It definitely frustrating when things like this happen! I began my silicone tail years ago and I'm still not done. I wanted it for last summer, I wanted it for an upcoming trip to Hawaii, but I probably won't be able to finish it. That's just life sometimes! In the mean time I love swimming in my fabric tails, and am planning on making another one just for ease of travel. If tail-swimming is for you, you'll still want to do it after the military! Just because it can't happen now doesn't mean it can't happen ever

You have a point. My fabric tail got me through a lot for the past five years. I can't imagine not ever being able to swim with a tail. Of course I will want that after the military. I will always want it. I'm just afraid that after 20 years in the military I won't be able to have that job at the aquarium. It's my chance to go home. That's why I needed to rush for my tail...

-Derek Zoolander

Hey. Are you willing to look beyond Syren Studios? I notice you're from Texas, but if you're willing to search beyond America based tail makers, I might be able to suggest someone to you.

You're so young, don't give up on your tail! You have years to make it happen.
    Glinda Rose
    A.K.A. Your Bubbliness

<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/ZNXtyNg9u1SF2" width="480" height="272" frameborder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Quote Originally Posted by Glinda Rose View Post
    Hey. Are you willing to look beyond Syren Studios? I notice you're from Texas, but if you're willing to search beyond America based tail makers, I might be able to suggest someone to you.

You're so young, don't give up on your tail! You have years to make it happen.
    Oh that would be so helpful! Beyond Syren Studios, I've looked at Nim, Mernation, and See Through Sea. Nim seems like the best option right now. I love your signature by the way!
    -Derek Zoolander

Funny that, Nim is actually my recommendation. I can vouch for her as I know her in person; she is currently making my tail. She is incredibly talented and pays great attention to detail, and is also such a lovely person. She's a new tailmaker, so her prices are low at the moment, but the quality is so high. Have you seen her videos? They should give you an idea about how she works, and the kind of detail she puts in.

If you haven't already seen it, her current thread is here: https://mernetwork.com/index/showthr...l-video-series
    And her website is (I'm guessing you've already found this): http://www.scalesbynim.com
    Glinda Rose
    A.K.A. Your Bubbliness

<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/ZNXtyNg9u1SF2" width="480" height="272" frameborder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Funny that, Nim is actually my recommendation. I can vouch for her as I know her in person; she is currently making my tail. She is incredibly talented and pays great attention to detail, and is also such a lovely person. She's a new tailmaker, so her prices are low at the moment, but the quality is so high. Have you seen her videos? They should give you an idea about how she works, and the kind of detail she puts in.

If you haven't already seen it, her current thread is here: https://mernetwork.com/index/showthr...l-video-series
    And her website is (I'm guessing you've already found this): http://www.scalesbynim.com
    I have not seen her videos, but I will check that out now. It's nice to hear such good things about her quality of work. Since this is my dream tail, I want it to come out right the first time. Who wouldn't? I am so shocked that her prices are that low for a tail of that quality. It's incredible! I'm becoming increasingly confident with the choice to go with her now. Thank you for your help.
    -Derek Zoolander

Quote Originally Posted by merman_kae View Post
    I have not seen her videos, but I will check that out now. It's nice to hear such good things about her quality of work. Since this is my dream tail, I want it to come out right the first time. Who wouldn't? I am so shocked that her prices are that low for a tail of that quality. It's incredible! I'm becoming increasingly confident with the choice to go with her now. Thank you for your help.
    I think it's that low because she really has exceptional standards, and will not put them up until she's absolutely sure she's nailed the process. But personally I don't think she has many problems, everything I've seen so far has been meticulously planned and carefully executed. She will not settle for anything less than exceptional.
    Glinda Rose
    A.K.A. Your Bubbliness

I think it's that low because she really has exceptional standards, and will not put them up until she's absolutely sure she's nailed the process. But personally I don't think she has many problems, everything I've seen so far has been meticulously planned and carefully executed. She will not settle for anything less than exceptional.
    That's good to hear. My tail is starting to seem like it will need someone with capacity for detail. Being a bit of a perfectionist myself, I won't accept anything less than careful and meticulous. I think I'll contact her soon about my tail design. Thank you!
    -Derek Zoolander

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    So does the Aquarium you wish to work at employ mermaids and mermen? If so, how long will you get to do your dream job before going into the military?

Quote Originally Posted by Keiris View Post
    So does the Aquarium you wish to work at employ mermaids and mermen? If so, how long will you get to do your dream job before going into the military?
    Yes, they have had a mermaid show there in the past. If they don't want to in the future, I know of a nearby hotel that employs mermaids in their aquarium. I'd probably only get to do it while I'm in college. I chose this specific aquarium because it's near the college I want to go to and I have fond memories of it as a child. I plan on entering the military as an officer, so I will need a degree first.
    -Derek Zoolander

You should get a spellbound from mertailor! Great price, only 3 month wait time, and a perfect beginner silicone tail!! Everyone who's gotten one so far s raving about them. Mine is on the way. They now have 3 fluke options!! They're always willing to put the additional fins in whatever spot you want if you specify on your order. They will also take custom fin designs for the allure, but its likely out of your price range. a Spellbound is the best quality for that price!

I can definitely recommend Nim and Merbellas both have a dazzling history.

I love your signature by the way.