Thread: business license and legal things for a performing mermaid

business license and legal things for a performing mermaid

does anyone have a business license or have to obtain TPT's in your area? has anyone sold their items locally without one? i found that there is alot to being professional. i looked around and some places are not likely to hire you without being licensed and insured. when have you ran into this problem?
    i have these huge ideas and it seems that you need a TPT:

If you plan to engage in one or more of the following activities, you will need to obtain the state transaction privilege tax (TPT) license from the Arizona Department of Revenue:
    • selling tangible personal property, including crafts (even if you consider it a hobby)
    • operating or conducting various amusement activities including contests, games, sports events, or any other business which charges admission or user fees for exhibition, amusement or entertainment
    • renting space to vendors at special events
    • special event promoter and/or renting or leasing tangible personal property for a consideration
    so i want to know how everyone feels about this. do you think it looks good to be insured and have a license. the one above is specific to crafts & shows.i think its something everyone should look into if your'e in the states.
    any other legalities you know of that pertains to a business? please, do post.
    come find Mermaid-Odette on facebook!
    my website is here
    instagram

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/KahWlYkRbiGo8" width="480" height="360" frameborder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>via GIPHY

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    its different everywhere you go. Here, you dont need to have that if you make under a certain amount yearly. I dont have to pay taxes on what I make, but when I stop being a student and get a full time job, I may have to at that point.

I'd pretty much assume talking to a lawyer about the pros and cons of incorporation, and talking to an accountant about tax issues would be part of the process. Yeah, it looks better to clients, but if something is going to be a business, it's going to be a business, you know?

If you make it a business you will want to go with an LLC it's easy to set up very in expensive and has nearly no requirements. A lawyer is useful but if you do enough reading and find the correct resources it's actually surprisingly simple.

~ Facebook ~ Youtube ~ Model Mayhem

Need a logo? Website? Business Card? Or anything else?
    "You are anything but ordinary, why look it?" E-mail or message me.

Senior Member Pod of The South
    People can get by as individuals, but in my experience, to book big corporate gigs, often their first questions are if you are licensed and insured. In FL, you can register a business at sunbiz.org and I would recommend a sole member LLC, unless you wish to involve more people as "managing members" of your business. And for insurance, I've found a very inexpensive performers insurance here:

http://www.specialtyinsuranceagency....insurance.html

Please note: if you will be giving 'mermaid lessons' of any type, this insurance does NOT cover instruction! Instructor's insurance is a completely different thing.

Ultimately, unless you have a very deep knowledge of business and a clear vision of where you want to go, what you want to achieve, and what is needed to do it, hiring a lawyer to direct you on the right path for your legal requirements and helpful tools is the best thing you can do for yourself. The recommendations I have made are the things I have done for myself as a sole performer in FL. Other people may need other business tools for their personal journey.

I do, however, recommend that particular insurance company. They are great and the price is very affordable

Hope this helps.

SirenaSolaris thank you for the link! If nothing else it's very helpful to me I've been wondering where I should get insurance once I feel it's worth the cost.

~ Facebook ~ Youtube ~ Model Mayhem

Need a logo? Website? Business Card? Or anything else?
    "You are anything but ordinary, why look it?" E-mail or message me.

YAY! this is all very useful and im so greatful for everyones input, advice, and suggestions. i feel much more comfortable now. i think i know what i must do now,but i gotta work fast.
    keep it comin. ill see if i can find any more info too.
    my website is here
    instagram

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/KahWlYkRbiGo8" width="480" height="360" frameborder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>via GIPHY

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Sitre Seer Moroaica's Avatar
    Follow Sitre Seer Moroaica On Twitter Add Sitre Seer Moroaica on Facebook
    Follow Sitre Seer Moroaica on Tumblr Visit Sitre Seer Moroaica's Youtube Channel
    I would get one just to be safe. I have had a lot of deal where I HAD to have something and surprisingly I had it. It always makes me want to be extra careful and I plan on getting one myself. They are very easy to come by. I plan on getting one for my store as well as my dad has had one. But I dont know about other states :/

Senior Member Pod of Cali spottedcatfish's Avatar
    Follow spottedcatfish On Twitter Add spottedcatfish on Facebook Add spottedcatfish on Google+
    Follow spottedcatfish on Tumblr Visit spottedcatfish's Youtube Channel
    Does obtaining a business license apply if you are looking into making and selling tails online?

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Sitre Seer Moroaica's Avatar
    Follow Sitre Seer Moroaica On Twitter Add Sitre Seer Moroaica on Facebook
    Follow Sitre Seer Moroaica on Tumblr Visit Sitre Seer Moroaica's Youtube Channel
    I would think so because of the different state taxing on stuff. Not quite sure though :/

Quote Originally Posted by spottedcatfish View Post
    Does obtaining a business license apply if you are looking into making and selling tails online?
    not that i know of.I have not seen any problems with this. Here in Arizona,you only need one if your'e selling locally. online should be fine. my friends sell everything online and just put it on their income tax.
    my website is here
    instagram

SireniaSolaris thank you so much for sharing the link and all the rest of helpful information on getting insured im thinking of starting my own mermaid school in NYC Im already certified and have instructors certification. but know nothing about how to get started legally so thank you and this info is also for another mermaid who is also going to start a mermaid company in her area in L.I. NY

I give private mermaid lessons at our local pools during summer so im thinking of expanding and starting a mermaid school. So thank you all for these helpful links and information

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Seaspray Mermaid's Avatar
    Follow Seaspray Mermaid On Twitter Add Seaspray Mermaid on Facebook Add Seaspray Mermaid on Google+
    Follow Seaspray Mermaid on Tumblr Visit Seaspray Mermaid's Youtube Channel
    I'm brand new to the whole business thing. I haven't had a paid gig yet. I've been considering all the legal stuff, but I'm stuck in a vicious cycle. Need money to pay for legal stuff, need legal stuff to earn money.
    I still need to contact an insurance co about quotes but [to a client] is one-time performer's insurance/ gig worth it or do I need to just bite it and look into something a little more serious?
    Why blend in when you were so obviously destined to stand out?