Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mermaid name

Mermaid name

Hello fellow mermaids and mermen. I have a quick question about names.

How did you decide on your mer-names?
    What if there are 2 of the same mer-names?

I'm trying to figure out mine and I am beyond stumped. I've always loved Jewel but I've realized there is another mer named Jewel as well. I don't want anyone to think I used the same name just cause of them.

Any opinions or advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of Cali Saelyyia's Avatar
    Follow Saelyyia On Twitter Add Saelyyia on Facebook
    Follow Saelyyia on Tumblr
    Perhaps you could add something on to the initial name. For example if you like Jewel you could go with "Jewel of the South", "Tropical Jewel", etc.

Sometimes Life Just Needs a Bit of Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Saelyyia View Post
    Perhaps you could add something on to the initial name. For example if you like Jewel you could go with "Jewel of the South", "Tropical Jewel", etc.
    That's a great idea! Thank you!

My boyfriend picked mine. My middle name is Kaia and when my boyfriend found the name Kailani he loved it! I'm sure there are pry other Mermaids out there with that same name ( I have not seen it yet) but I'm not claiming to be the one and only either. My Mer-name means Sea and Sky. Mermaid so Sea and Sky meaning my boyfriends Native American name is Rain Cloud. so Kailani was the winner. My name means something to me and makes it special. My boyfriend/ Love of my Life may have been the one to find it, but I loved it so much that I choose it.
    Think of things that are important to you. What inspires you? What kind of Mermaid do you want to be? Or pick a name that you have always wanted to be. Hope this helps. I'm sure you will come up with a great Mer-name
    ~Mermaid Kailani~

I use an really old nickname of mine, and it's sounds similar to "nereyd" so...

Neerai is an old name of a character I made for roleplaying when I was on high school. Later I used it along all internet as a nickname, the most of my friends use it to call me so... Was just logic XD

~Neerai Every, the Pirate Mermaid~

Senior Member Pod of Cali Saelyyia's Avatar
    Follow Saelyyia On Twitter Add Saelyyia on Facebook
    Follow Saelyyia on Tumblr
    My Mername actually comes from the World of Warcraft random name button. About 8 years ago I was starting a new character and I couldn't pick a name I liked so I clicking random a bunch and came across "Saelyia" but it was taken, but there was something about it that reasonated with me so I added a second y into it turning it to "Saelyyia". I think what I like about it is that 1) It is a similar feel to my already unique name which is Sarabella, but it had an exotic, magical feel to it. Plus the pronounciation being "Sail-yuh" made it kind of beachy. It is the name I use for my costuming in general and over the last 8 years It has almost become more of my name that my actual name.

Sometimes Life Just Needs a Bit of Magic

Mine started with my penname, July Tarrant. It was originally a name I was going to give a character, but I loved it so much I wanted to keep it. So, I became Mermaid July. But I eventually didn't like starting my name with Mermaid, so I changed it to one of my nicknames, Meghara. My friends call me Megara after the Disney princess (and a play off of my real name, Meghan) and I loved it. It sounded great with July and I kept the H from my actual name so I wouldn't be too tied to Disney. Thus I became Meghara July, and I love it. Once you find the right name, it just clicks, no matter what the process is like.

{gif credit}
    Seaside Fairytales
    Etsy | Instagram | Facebook | Youtube

I enjoy hearing everyone's story

Senior Member Pod of Cali Delphinus's Avatar
    Follow Delphinus On Twitter Add Delphinus on Facebook
    Visit Delphinus's Youtube Channel
    I started just kind of using Delphinus, which was more of just a username for online, but I hadn't decided on a proper merman name. In the end, I made my facebook page using "Merman Gregorios", which is simply the Greek origin of my actual name. I've always liked Greek myth/history/modern nation too, so it was an easy and fun translation for me. The meaning of the name (watchful/vigilant) also suits me, and my mersona's character and personality. Both myself in real life, and who I am as a mer are the kind of person who are totally comfortable being in one place and happily floating there, or love getting to go out and explore new places and see what there is to see. So it really just felt right.

As far as duplicate names? I know some people will insist on variety and forcing a unique name. And that's totally cool! But I also think there's something to be said about the bit of realism that comes with shared names. I personally don't mind if mers have the same name. There's so many of us, that it makes perfect sense that at least a good chunk of us would have the same name.
    "Nella fantasia io vedo un mondo giusto, lìtutti vivono in pace e in onestà."

I was thinking about making a thread about this topic, glad I found this. I love hearing people's name inspiration!
    My real name is Hannah and we all know she's only like the most popular mermaid ever next to Ariel haha.
    I knew that since I was planning to do magic as a mermaid I wanted my tag to be "The Magical Mermaid" and I wanted alliteration because that's always fun. Supernatural is my favorite show in the entire world and my favorite character on there is played by Misha Collins. It's a unisex name but is Russian for Michelle. I actually met a couple of little girls lately with the name and I didn't see any other mermaids with that name so it seemed like a perfect fit. Thus Misha The Magical Mermaid was born.

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    I approve of this so much. I love that show. Castiel and his comments are great. Even how Misha Collins played himself on the episode "The French Mistake" was absolutely great. And here I picked my merman name because it's the most obvious thing that describes me.

Quote Originally Posted by MishaTheMagicalMermaid View Post
    I was thinking about making a thread about this topic, glad I found this. I love hearing people's name inspiration!
    My real name is Hannah and we all know she's only like the most popular mermaid ever next to Ariel haha.
    I knew that since I was planning to do magic as a mermaid I wanted my tag to be "The Magical Mermaid" and I wanted alliteration because that's always fun. Supernatural is my favorite show in the entire world and my favorite character on there is played by Misha Collins. It's a unisex name but is Russian for Michelle. I actually met a couple of little girls lately with the name and I didn't see any other mermaids with that name so it seemed like a perfect fit. Thus Misha The Magical Mermaid was born.

Junior Member Undisclosed Pod Meerihua's Avatar
    I came up with Meerihua when a few years ago when I was doing a siren roleplay with some friends. I wanted something that sounded somewhat like a whale call. (Meeeeeerihuuuuwaaaaaaaaah.) I obviously don't do a wailing screech now, but I still love the way it flows.

If I met someone else called Meerihua, I'd be pretty surprised! Meer wouldn't be too shocking, as it's just the Germanic word for sea, but "ih-wah" isn't a sound combo I've seen elsewhere.

Senior Member Pod of The South Rebela Hunter's Avatar
    Mine was a nickname for my fursona from my drawings
    I have a made-up species fursona named Rebel, and one of my friends misspelled it as Rebela, and it just kinda stuck! I adored how it rolled off the tongue so much... and now I'll be making it my legal name!

Good luck on finding yours! Hopefully we're all giving you some sort of inspiration
    'And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' - Matthew 4:19 (KJV)

Hobbyist Mermaid & Orca Enthusiast
    DeviantART || Facebook || Instagram

Junior Member Euro Pod Alaw ferch Tonnau's Avatar
    Alaw is a Welsh word that means lily or water lily which are my favourite flowers. I thought the fact it could be a water plant or a land plant was fitting for a half mermaid. It also means melody which I liked because I'm a musical person. Ferch Tonnau means daughter of the waves. I was going to shorten my name to Ally but it's already taken.
    Call me Ally

Super excited to meet another mermaid today! Totally out of the blue and so unexpected! Turns out we share the same name, although spelled differently. Seeing as she is a professional and I am a newbie who dreams of going pro I'm just going to choose a new name. I don't have a problem with it whatsoever, just to be clear. I just thought it's a good tip to research other spellings of the names you are considering.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kailani View Post
    My boyfriend picked mine. My middle name is Kaia and when my boyfriend found the name Kailani he loved it! I'm sure there are pry other Mermaids out there with that same name ( I have not seen it yet) but I'm not claiming to be the one and only either. My Mer-name means Sea and Sky. Mermaid so Sea and Sky meaning my boyfriends Native American name is Rain Cloud. so Kailani was the winner. My name means something to me and makes it special. My boyfriend/ Love of my Life may have been the one to find it, but I loved it so much that I choose it.
    Think of things that are important to you. What inspires you? What kind of Mermaid do you want to be? Or pick a name that you have always wanted to be. Hope this helps. I'm sure you will come up with a great Mer-name
    Actually, there is another Kailani. *waves* Have been since 2012/2013, and have been promoting myself as such for professional mermaiding since 2014. Quick Facebook search would show that. So, hey.

Senior Member Pod of Texas gay-mermaid's Avatar

Follow gay-mermaid on Tumblr
    i saw the name Memory on a mermaid names site tbh,, but i picked it bc it made me think of Odins raven Muninn, which means memory. it was a combination of my love of mythology and the fact that my mersona is a demi-goddess, and a name like that sounds rather ethereal and divine.

What should i do guys.I am very confused about name should I give to myself

Quote Originally Posted by Kailani View Post
    Actually, there is another Kailani. *waves* Have been since 2012/2013, and have been promoting myself as such for professional mermaiding since 2014. Quick Facebook search would show that. So, hey.
    Cool, we’re like Mer-sisters then. How neat is that.

~Mermaid Kailani~

Since I've officially changed mine now...

I changed to Kalliope because, well, I've always loved the name, and it fits better with my backstory.

Also, there are too many Kailani's now. Personally, I treat professional mermaiding much like I do acting. If someone in the industry has that name (like an actor registered to SAG), respect that and try to find something different.

If you plan on staying in your area only for work, and there is another with the same name who stays to their area, then go for it or message them about it. I have connections for gigs outside my residential area/state, so to avoid confusion, I changed my name.

My personal concern is someone sharing a name doing something unsavoury/uncouth/unprofessional and it affecting your reputation if a client does not quite understand the industry and is unable to make the distinction between different performers. (It happens, rarely, but it does) Or the other way around, you doing something (even on accident) that then hurts someone else. There is also the fact that the internet is a weird place and people tend to pick the first search result on google, and if that isn't you, you might lose that gig simply because they did not look further and only found someone else (who may be too far).

In the end, if you are only looking to do it as a hobby, feel free to pick anything you want! If you want to pursue it as a business, do a bit of research first (or have a friend do so to see if different results come up), and make an educated decision. At the very least, message the other mer just to see how they feel about it if you feel tentative.

20000-names.com is a great source of names if you need some help picking something out!
    *bubbles*
    Mermaid Kalliope

Live long and swim free!

deviantART
    Facebook page