Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Primarina Tail (Pokemon)

A Primarina Tail (Pokemon)

I'm going to be actually starting on my mermaid primarina cosplay now that the holidays are winding down but I am still on break. I have a bunch of other costumes on going so this will probably be slow progress... or I'm gonna get super pumped and do it all REALLY QUICKLY.

Here is a reference:

And my initial planing/design sheet:

I'm going to be changing the crown to a veil/pearl headband combination and starfish earrings though. I think that will be more comfortable in the water and more accurate to the character (I was overly excited and did my design before the game was actually released and have since had more time to study primarina's motions)

Edit: uploaded the unfinished design. Re-loaded with the proper one. Don't know how that happened.
    Last edited by Mermaid Mia; 01-03-2017 at 04:08 PM.

I love pokemon, so can't wait to see what it looks like when it's done!
    ~Mermaid Salacia~
    Sea Witch of South Australia
    https://www.facebook.com/themermaidsalacia/
    mermaidsalacia.weebly.com/

That is going to be an awesome cosplay!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im really excited! Thanks for the positive feed back already guys
    :3
    I'll be hopefully working on a shaped monifin starting tomorrow and going fabric shopping. I have fabric online that i want but if i can find similar material for cheeper with coupons and without shipping that is what im gonna do XD

Oh my goodness!! This is so exciting! I love the design! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

I had been planning on ordering this gorgeous blue sequined fabric from Spandex World (great store btw) but by a MIRACLE I found some at jo-anns!

Through coupons and not having to pay shipping i got all the length i needed for LESS than HALF of what i would have payed.
    Im so happy

So i bought flippers with the intent of securing them to a shaped piece of office mat. I didn't want to cut into a nice mono fin and the fluke is very narrow and heart shaped so double fins sounded easier... However the mat i want is like 50$ and the fins have these handy cutouts... so i thought i would try something first...

I used zip ties in the gaps and a Velcro strap in a figure 8 for extra strength. Kicking my hardest in the air my ankles did not separate or turn and the fins didn't shift around. I think i have a successful monofin for my needs. Gonna test in water when the pool opens again. Might need heavier duty zip ties and to drill holes for more points of connection.

I will be making the actual heart shape out of craft foam as i have done in other tails. Luckily i will be keeping this fin removable so I'm not too concerned if i need to do repairs later

I actually just picked up fabric for a Primarina tail, too! I can't wait to see how yours turns out, I love the sequins! (I'm a sucker for sequins )

~Real photoshoot coming soon~

Quote Originally Posted by JustCOS View Post
    I actually just picked up fabric for a Primarina tail, too! I can't wait to see how yours turns out, I love the sequins! (I'm a sucker for sequins )
    oh yay!!! more primarina mermaids!

Also yay more Pokemon mertails (I still need to shoot my Milotic, whoops). If we're ever on the same side of the mountains at the same time, we should totally swim together~

i would love that! and i was just stalking your fabric tails thread XD the mitotic tail looks amazing! any chance you are going to Sakuracon 2017?

Thank you~ I am! I'm not sure if I'll bring any tails or not (last year I tried to do a shoot, but it just didn't work out), but I may bring one or two just in case

i will be taking primarina to the con! i might bring another tail but don't know yet. hopefully my hotel will have a pool and i can go for some swims, you are welcome to join me!

Sounds fantastic! If I bring a tail, I'm totally up for it~ I'll see if Moongazer is going (and bringing her Goldeen again) too!

Quote Originally Posted by JustCOS View Post
    Sounds fantastic! If I bring a tail, I'm totally up for it~ I'll see if Moongazer is going (and bringing her Goldeen again) too!
    Yay! Mermaid pokemon friends XD

Tested out my fin in the pool today! It actually worked quite well. Didn't bring my phone so no photos or video yet...

So i got the rest of my fabric (and forgot to update the thread)

I went with the stretch velvet for the white parts cause it looks kinda furry and i wanted to recall her origins with the popplio sea lion based design. The blue organza is for all the ruffles and its super shimmy and i am excited.

I also have some pink fabric, pink acrylic paint for thinning, pink glitter, and silicone caulk to do her little pink spikes and starfish with.

Yay!

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Can't wait to see how this turns out!

I realized this was gonna be a heavier tail than my diy monofin will be able to push. So i ordered a mahina merfin (which i have always wanted) and it came in like 2 days!

I got the large cause my feet fit 10s usually, 11s pretty often, and 9.5 rarely. Its a little large on me even with my neoprene booties but I'm pretty sure it is snug enough to stay on. Hopefully i can do a swim test soon. If i find myself slipping out i figure i can either modify the straps or can pad the inside of the foot pocket. Im still confident large was the right size and a medium would be too small, i wish these had adjustable straps :/

The next hurdle is that primarina has a heart shaped tail and the mahina merfin is... not.
    So do i just say "oh well its a mermaid!" Or do i cut my fin? If i did cut it it would be like so...

Suggestions?

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Cut it! It will still look mermaidy outside of the tail, and merfins stand up really well to modification.