Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Primarina Tail (Pokemon)

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Wesley View Post
    Cut it! It will still look mermaidy outside of the tail, and merfins stand up really well to modification.
    Ok thanks :3 ill probably do that then. Im gonna take it for a swim and try to get picks of it in all its glory first LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took my mahina for a swim (phone died though so no video or recording) and then i did the trimming on it so it will be right for this tail! Now i could get started on my sewing work

It looks a little uneven cause of the shadows but i swear i was careful and it is mostly symetrical

My wig came in!

I will def be doing dry land pictures in the full outfit before i take it swimming cause i am afraid of this wig in the water. But i am doing my research and will be sure to take good care of it

Super excited to see more of this tail!

Sent from my Shellphone using Tapatalk for Android
    Currently deciding on a color/design and saving up for my first tail!

A Primarina Tail (Pokemon)

Finaly got into the thick of it yesterday, cause I'm done with finals whooo hoooooo!!

I finished the tube of sparkle for the body

The ankle skirt (which is probably my favorite thing thus-far)

Aaand the fluke cover with zipper

Today hopefully I will assemble these pieces, add the giant ruffle at the top and a waistband, and start on the pink spikes.

The tail and the top will be needing a nude spandex lining but I can't afford more fabric until April so... ill do as much as i can and then will have to work on other projects :/

This looks so great so far!

Quote Originally Posted by MeliPixie View Post
    This looks so great so far!

Thank you! Im super excited :3

Looking great!! Can't wait to see the full look.

Got the tail mostly assembled yesterday.

I also tried a couple batches of the pink spikes and hated them all. Trying a few more things today. Fingers crossed!

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    That is looking beautiful
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

WOW. That looks so unique and aaaaaa I love love love it! I wonder how it'll look in the water, but the fabric is so lovely and sparkly. I can totally see the resemblance to a Pokemon, not even necessarily Primarina but like if I didn't know of Primarina and saw the tail I think I might feel like it has a Pokemon feel to it? Great job so far <3

Hmmm those spikes do look like they'd be difficult....

Senior Member Pod of Oceania moomer's Avatar
    Looking great!
    I am curious as to how it will stand up in water! That sequin fabric won't be too heavy will it?
    Can't wait for more updates~~

Thank you everyone for your interest and comments! It makes me even more pumped to work. I do expect it to be heavy in the water but i fitted it pretty tightly so hopefully it wont have drag on the body. One of my other tails has layers of lace skirts so I'm used to heavy LOL.

I'm curious how the velvet and organza will stand up in the water. They won't get damaged...?

Oh! And have you tested the modified monofin yet? How did it swim? I'm so emotionally invested in this tail lmao

Quote Originally Posted by MeliPixie View Post
    I'm curious how the velvet and organza will stand up in the water. They won't get damaged...?

Oh! And have you tested the modified monofin yet? How did it swim? I'm so emotionally invested in this tail lmao

I have spot tested them in tap water.

The velvet is already crushed velvet so it would just be... more textured? If that makes sense. I think it might stretch out a little but i am planning on getting a spandex lining and attaching them together along the seams and that should help everything keep its shape.

The organza was fine, I'm a little worried about the ends (i edged it in hot glue) but if i need to re-hem it i will. I did try the burning method but this is the cheep organza and i think that had an effect. I could not get an even melt in any of my tests and it just looked super ratty.

I have not taken the mahina in the water since cutting but hopefully tomorrow will be the day I had panned to go swimming but my partner is sick so i might spend the day pouring soup into him instead.

I should mention i don't plan on taking this in chlorine... ever. Hopefully lake swimming for this tail! And definitely dry-land photoshoots first.

I've use both crushed velvet and organza for my tails, and it holds up very well, as I mostly swim with them in pool water.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Fenicia View Post
    I've use both crushed velvet and organza for my tails, and it holds up very well, as I mostly swim with them in pool water.
    Thank you :3 this makes me feel better about my fabric choices.

A Primarina Tail (Pokemon)

Finished the spikes!

This is a layer of fabric, layer of paint+glitter, then silicone+glitter, then silicone top coat.
    I was probably not as patient as i should have been and the top coat mixed a bit with the undercoat so some glitter is still shedding off the top. But i think after that wears off i will have a pretty durable pink and sparkly spike.

Here is a link to a video on my Instagram so you can really see the sparkle in motion:
    https://instagram.com/p/BSEdDQMDsiw/