Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Monofin Help!

First Monofin Help!

Hello Merfriends!

I'm so excited right now! I'm looking into getting my very first monofin! EEEK! I recently wrote my school's pool asking about their rules on monofins. If they say they allow them then I will be ordering one with my Fishmas money! The only problem is- which Monofin do I get? I've been researching this for weeks and weeks! (and as always I am soo indecisive!) I was wondering if you had any advice for me?

I've looked into Finnis as they seem popular- Either Wave or Rapid... I wear size 6.5 flats, sometimes 7.5 heels/tennis shoes. My feet are somewhat wide, but mostly just flat. I have practically no arch... I've heard that these are good for training the dolphin kick a bit better. I just sort of have to figure out size wise what would work best. I'm a bit nervous about when I decide to alter it for a tail I've been designing cutting it into a shape seems a bit frightening.

I've also started looking into Mahina Mermaid Merfins! I love the look of these when they are trimmed! They can look so awesome! They also look so graceful in the water... Originally I wasn't sure I'd even look into these, but recently I found one in my price range! However, I've heard out of water they are a bit heavy, and can be a tad bit floppy underwater. Does this effect swimming much? These are such pretty tails, and at one point I thought I saw a video on this forum with one in it- and it looked like my dream fin! (However, after watching the video I haven't seen it since!!! I've spent hours combing over threads! All I remember besides the tail (which may have been a different monofin...) was that the mer in it was swimming around by a bunch of divers who were either just sitting around or moving at a much slower pace in the background... I really wish I could find it again to check which monofin it was!

So those are the "two" I am considering. Does anyone have any advice or alternative suggestions? I'd love to hear them! Thank you so much!

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid_Izzy's Avatar
    My lovely home in the mountains...(aka Southwest VA)
    I don't have experience with any of these monofins...but I can tell you that the monofin I received with my MagicTail does bend but still powers through the water....the Mahinas are definitely more mermaidie...

As far as being afraid of cutting the finis monofins, I saw one Mer (can't remember exactly who or I would give credit) extend the shape with zip ties and duct tape to make it more the shape of a fluke (if you need me to draw that out I can, lol)

Sorry I couldn't help more, hopefully someone else can come around soon!

Sent from my ShellPhone using Tapatalk

Mermaid Izzy - I believe you are thinking of Jadestone. Here is her topic where she shows photos of her extended finis monofin: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...Jade-s-attempt

I think Mermaid Nyx has extended the monofins inside her neoprene tails as well.

I wish I could give you personal advise on the Mahina merfin. I have been thinking about getting another type of monofin recently and the Mahina has been a top contender because of its shape, size, and bright color. As far as negatives go I have read that it can really rub on your heels. Some mers have issues with it rubbing while others do not. Supposedly you can fix that with neoprene foot booties.

I personally have a Finis Rapid. It is currently the only monofin I have used. I like the size of it and the power it gives me - It isn't floppy but it isn't too stiff. I find that the foot pockets are very comfortable and I have never had issues with the straps rubbing my heels so I don't wear socks or booties on my feet. When I first started using my rapid I had to learn how to properly secure the straps. They were always falling off of my heels, but then I learned to pull them up higher on the back of my foot and to also tighten the straps more. This is especially important for when you are wearing a tail over it because once it is in the tail it can be harder to make adjustments if you did not adjust it right the first time. As far as negatives for this monofin - the strap clips on the side of the foot pockets create an ankle bulge. I personally don't have much of a problem with it, but I know some mers don't like that look. I think it could represent mermaid fluke bone structure haha. The shape isn't very mermaidy but it does remind me of a manatee. I was too afraid to cut mine because I knew this would be the only monofin I would have for a while and I didn't want to ruin the structural integrity. Also, cutting it would mean losing some of that great size! So if I were to adjust the look of it I would probably follow Jadestone's extension technique. At the moment what I do for my tail fluke is I have extra fabric going past the monofin to create the desired shape at the end. This monofin has been easy to learn how to use. I have let guys, girls, and even kids try out this monofin. Everyone (with the exception of my Mom) was able to take to swimming with this monofin instantly - and these are people who have never used a monofin. Oh and one tip - if you do get this monofin and it comes with plastic foot inserts keep those inserts. After I use this monofin I put the inserts back into the foot pockets to keep the foot area from narrowing. The foot inserts keep it shaped.

Either way though I think both monofins are good.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Mermaid Alea- that's exactly who I was thinking of, I read it a month or two ago when I was really new to the network trying to distinguish people...

And that's great advice, it makes me want to order a rapid or wave for my next tail! (if I can make it...lol)

Mermaid Izzy - If you do make a tail don't feel rushed when making it. I rushed when making my first tail and it sucked lol.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Alea View Post
    Mermaid Izzy - If you do make a tail don't feel rushed when making it. I rushed when making my first tail and it sucked lol.
    I am actually making one at the moment; it's an individually scaled silicone tail with a monofin that I made....and I trying to get it finished by MerMania, but I am trying to not to rush myself.

Thanks for the advice!

That sounds awesome! I wish you lots of luck with it!
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    Tropical Plants

Thank you to everyone for responding! Lots of things to consider!

Sent from my Shell-Phone

I found the video!!! However- it's of a Monofin that I don't think I can afford currently... Drat lol

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I got myself a blue one. Its slightly smaller than a adult merfin. It has nice propulsion and speed.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Comfortab...I2JVZviR9F5xXw
    Formerly known as ireneho

Mermaid Jaffa- Oh this one looks neat! Do you know what foot sizes it fits?

Oh I think I found it below

Haven't heard anything back yet, so waiting a little longer to order.... saw a lot of super cute Mermaid stuff at the mall today though! It took a lot of will power to not buy all of it! Still not sure which monofin to get...

Sent from my Shell-Phone

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    The foot pockets are pretty big. I have to wear 1mm neoprene socks to get my 7.5 size hamster feet to fit snugly.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Mermaid Jaffa- yeah, I'd probably have to wear socks for those too. My feet are weird to begin with lol...

Sent from my Shell-Phone

Eeeeek!!!! The pool director said he was fine with me bringing the monofin!!!!!! I'm so excited!!! Now I just have to make up my mind and get one ordered!!

Sent from my Shell-Phone

Congratulations I know that is a relief!
    If you get a mahina let me know where you buy it from. I was considering getting one off of Amazon but I didn't like the reviews - Some people were saying it came bent, scratched, without original packaging, etc.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    Tropical Plants

Mermaid Alea- Well unfortunately one of the Mahina's I'm looking at would be from amazon... It says that is has the original packaging- fin is in great shape, but packaging has been opened. There's another more expensive one I'm looking at too, but poor broke college student here will feel guilty if she buys it for more money. I lean toward Mahina a little more than Finnis at this point- but part of me still thinks I should get a Finnis... urg so indecisive haha!

Sent from my Shell-Phone

At the moment if I were to get a Mahina I think I would buy it through Walmart:
    https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=mahina

They don't have them in stock at the store but you can order it online. They do free shipping on orders over $50 so you don't have to worry about shipping costs. The only lame thing is you can't exactly choose which color you want. I think I would do best in an adult medium and they don't appear to offer it in blue which is what I wanted. I almost bought one last night but I am indecisive right now because I am like, "Well I don't NEED another monofin...But it would be nice for friends to use and it would look better in a fabric tail..." Lol
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    Tropical Plants

I think I'm going with Mahina- Just have to figure out what size- I usually wear a 7.5, but my foot is a tad bit wide...