Thread: Recolor of Finis Monofin

Recolor of Finis Monofin

Okay, I don't actually have a Finis monofin yet, but I was wondering what the best way to recolor a Finis Foil or Finis Wave monofin would be. I hope to get one over the summer as a training aid and to make myself a mermaid. Thanks! ;-)

Perhaps there could be a way you could make a waterproof decal to put onto it. I figured regular divers have thought about this so I searched "Painting swim fins" and came up with some results. Some divers mentioned using colored duct tape - I personally would not want to use duct tape because it might leave residue if you ever wanted to remove the tape, but that could work if you are okay with using tape.

There is this video on spray painting fins:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1RglnyCGiQ

There is this one where someone camos up their fins but it looks really cool:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB3UFn6yMfU

Depending on which fin you get will somewhat determine what types of paint will or will not work. The finis wave is more of a slick plastic so the paint might not adhere as well as it would with the foil. I would just continue to research what SCUBA divers do to paint their fins and spearfishing freedivers especially as they are very likely to want to color their fins to make them blend in more with the underwater environment. There also appears to be a gear marking paint for divers which comes in different colors. That might work as well.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Duct tape would actually be a pretty good cheap option. The only thing would be, as Mermaid Alea mentioned, would be the residue left by the tape, but isopropyl alcohol should take it right off, and if that doesn't, WD-40 will. If you do use WD-40 to take off the residue, be sure to wash the monofin off with soap and water to get the WD-40 off. If left for long periods of time, the WD-40 could eat the rubber and plastic

Hydro dipping your fins in a custom design is also also option. You would just need to make sure a flexible additive is used otherwise the pattern will crack right away. If an additive is used then you should get decent use out of the fin before you need to redo the process. I personally haven't tried it but result videos on YouTube look pretty cool.

deviantArt
    Etsy
    (Now offering custom tail designs!)