Thread: How much silicone???!!!???

How much silicone???!!!???

So I've been researching as much as I possibly can in preparation for making my silicone tail, as I know that professional tailmakers won't be able to do it because of the special look I'm going for. I have almost everything planned out, but I don't know how much silicone I'll need!

How many gallons of silicone will I need?

It depends on various things like the thickness of your scales, length of your scale sheet (or amount of individual scales), fluke size, extra fins, etc. Generally you'll need at least one gallon unit (which measures out to two gallons when both parts are mixed) but if you're going to have extra fins and an elaborate paint job you should probably just get two gallon units.

deviantArt
    Etsy
    (Now offering custom tail designs!)

I may have to end up getting three just to be sure. The fins will definitely be elaborate, and my tail will be very long. I am tall, but I also want to have the tail go up and cover my chest. I'll just add a picture, and then maybe you can advise me on how much silicone I'll be looking at. Maybe even four gallons? 0.0

That's my art of what I plan to look like. I'll have small individual scales or just a smooth tail- but probably scales.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'm not an expert in tail making I've just done extensive research but I've never heard of anyone using four gallon units for any tail let alone three. I think you should do more research by checking out tail making threads here on the forum before you start your own.

deviantArt
    Etsy
    (Now offering custom tail designs!)

Will do. Thank you so much!

Yeah maybe message some people who have similar elaborate tail designs that they created and see how many gallons they used. PearlieMae's silicone tail includes a top portion similar to what you are wanting and her tail is all individual scales.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

I'm still somewhat new to the forum... I didn't even know until now that I could PM people! Thank you!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    You won't need more than two gallon sets.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Misty Lau View Post
    So I've been researching as much as I possibly can in preparation for making my silicone tail, as I know that professional tailmakers won't be able to do it because of the special look I'm going for.
    That's a bold statement for someone who has never made a tail before.

It is probably bold isn't it. I don't mean for it to sound offensive to other tailmakers, and I don't mean to sound like I think I'm going to be great. I just wouldn't expect anyone to accept such a different tail order. It will involve so much customization and straying from what tails are usually like that I just wouldn't like to even ask. Plus, I think it'd be a great experience for me, and it would be cheaper to do it myself.

So it's not that be won't be able to, it's just that they probably won't want to.

You would be surprised what experienced tailmakers are willing to do for you. A lot of them really enjoy a challenge like this.

I don't know if it will be cheaper, it *might* if you make exactly 0 mistakes through the whole process, and forego any testing.

It may be better to chose a simpler design for a first tail rather than going for your elaborate one first. How much silicone you need is going to be the least of your worries starting out with something like this I would assume. Mechanics of a tail like this would concern me, not only safety wise but construction wise as well.
    ~A mermaid found a swimming lad, picked him for her own, pressed her body to his body,and made the sea their home~

I'll definitely be doing testing of silicone and the other materials I plan to use. I don't plan on needing clay for the various sizes of scales because I've found that small lionspaw shells are my ideal scale shape and detail.

I know that it will probably be more expensive than other tails because of the custom fin construction and length of it covering my chest. But originally, I knew it would be expensive, and I'm planning a minimum budget of $5000. I'm sure I'll be able to save up that much money for it in ten years, if not five. I'm still young, and I don't need my tail now. (:

I'm not actually too worried about the construction or safety, since the build of the "monofin" type "ribs" will be built just like a monofin around the foot area. Thank you for your concerns though- I'll definitely be researching more about it.