Thread: Spreading on Silicone and Adding Texture?

Senior Member Pod of The South

Spreading on Silicone and Adding Texture?

I am trying to figure out how to make a more budget tail that is still dragonskin that I can use to travel more easily. It occurred to me that there have been several mers who have made hybrid tails where they just spread the silicone over a spandex type tail which results in a much lighter tail more choice for traveling with. However, I don't really like how those tails have a smooth surface for the tail body. Does anyone know how I could possibly add texture to the silicone after spreading it on? Is that something I could maybe add by hand?

Also, how many gallons of dragonskin silicone do you think I would need to get? I will just be casting a custom fluke (likely with a mahina merfin inside) and adding a layer of silicone over the spandex body.
    ~Merman Rett Of Georgia~

(Formerly Known as Risingmermaid)

If you're just going to spread the Dragonskin on the spandex there isn't really a way to add texture to it after spreading. The only silicone you can do that with is silicone caulk. I think Keiris paints his fabric with a scale pattern and then spreads a thin layer of Dragonskin over it so that it at least has the look of scales despite a smooth surface.

As for how much you'd need someone else should probably answer that one. I'm not familiar with the mahina merfin.

deviantArt
    Etsy
    (Now offering custom tail designs!)

I found that the silicone looks and feels very slightly raised on my tail where I added gold paint, but it's not that noticeable.
    Because dragon skin is self leveling, if you really wanted a scale texture you would probably have to mold it, which wouldn't make for such a thin, lightweight tail.

To help with the other part of you question, I didn't quite finish a tester kit of dragonskin which is 0.9kg. However I only used it on the body of my tail, not the fluke.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk