Thread: Making a swimmable bra?

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Union of Pods of the North

Making a swimmable bra?

Hi all! I am interested in making my own mermaid shell bra which will be okay to swim in pools and oceans with! I am wondering if this method I have in mind will work, if not what would be a better way?

This is what I was thinking:
    Getting a regular bra in my size
    Getting lion paw shells that would be an okay size for my breasts
    Painting the outside of the shells with acrylic paint and sealing it with dishwasher safe modge podge
    Slightly sanding the inside of the shells to make them rougher
    Cleaning and drying the shells
    Using E6000 to attach the shells to the bra
    Possibly adding other decorations to the bra such as pearls and/or smaller shells, also using E6000

Would that work for a swimmable top?
    Thanks so much

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I changed to using bras made for swimming, like bikini tops and tankinis. I found that using regular bras, it soaks up too much water, and if you go sit in the sun, it takes too long to dry.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Summerlilly's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Summerlilly On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    I found that using regular bras, it soaks up too much water, and if you go sit in the sun, it takes too long to dry.
    So true! When I made my shell top I used E6000 to glue on two lion's paw shells and a ton of little plastic leaves for decoration on top of a regular bra, the thing took 3 days to dry. Totally worth the adorable kids running up to me on the beach thinking I was a real mermaid though haha

I'd say use a bikini top like Jaffa said, maybe one with padding to hold up the shells better.
    beep boop get some soup

Hi Aquamarie ^^ I don't know much about painting but I've heard some mers use nail polish as paint.
    I would drill holes in the shells etc, sew them on your top and use E6000 in addition.

Good luck

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-N910F met Tapatalk

Interesting I haven't had issues with my bra drying. If you go with a swim top be sure that it is made of good material. I was in my closet the other day and I found one of my swim tops that I have only used a handful of times and the stretchy stuff inside the straps was all stiff and breaking. I found some swim bottoms that I usually only wore for sunbathing and the stretchy elastic in it was so stiff that the bottoms were stuck in the shape that they were hanging. Some of my swimsuits don't last long while others have withheld a lot.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Alea View Post
    Interesting I haven't had issues with my bra drying. If you go with a swim top be sure that it is made of good material. I was in my closet the other day and I found one of my swim tops that I have only used a handful of times and the stretchy stuff inside the straps was all stiff and breaking. I found some swim bottoms that I usually only wore for sunbathing and the stretchy elastic in it was so stiff that the bottoms were stuck in the shape that they were hanging. Some of my swimsuits don't last long while others have withheld a lot.
    I make my own swimsuits. Though at one time, I did have premade swimmers that did what you said! It just means you've had it too long and need a new one.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Junior Member Pod of Cali Samw3st95's Avatar
    I just finished mine. I pretty much just glued everything on but I will be drilling holes in the Shell and sewing it on too, then I'll cover the holes with pearls. I'm debating adding some netting, but I'm not sure yet.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid Lieke's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Lieke on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Lieke's Youtube Channel
    I would suggest using softer shells. Real shells or plastic shells can hurt if you wear them for a long time. I started making silicone shells and it is so much more comfortable! I also sell them if you are intersted in a pair. You can buy them on my etsy if you like : http://bit.ly/2fB4GKB

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Follow my mermaid journey on Instagram and Facebook <3

Add a Splash of Magic to your mermaid-wardrobe, with beautiful sequins, silicone shells, mermaid tops and tails: shop here

Bewaren
    Bewaren

These shells are gorgeous! Are you able to make them for, say, a DD cup? 😅
    Currently deciding on a color/design and saving up for my first tail!

Senior Member Pod of the Midwest mermaid mazu's Avatar
    I have made a couple of bras pretty much exactly how you describe and it works but the shells are sooo heavy! I'm in the process of making a new one using some plastic shells I found on amazon for like $6. They are just white at the moment but I'm going to do an hombre from gold to pearl and add pearls and stones and suchName:  2017-03-22 02.13.33.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  323.8 KB ha I just noticed you can see my other one hanging in the background

So sorry for the late reply, I didn't got a notification. But right now I'm not abble to offer them for a DD cup. I'm looking into the possibilities to make bigger moulds. But I need to find proper shells before I can start making molds.

And thank you so much for the kind words!

Add a Splash of Magic to your mermaid-wardrobe, with beautiful sequins, silicone shells, mermaid tops and tails: shop here

Bewaren
    Bewaren

No worries, I know how technology can be. If you are ever able to I'd love to buy them from you! I'll keep following this thread until you do
    Last edited by MeliPixie; 04-05-2017 at 11:54 PM.
    Currently deciding on a color/design and saving up for my first tail!

Quote Originally Posted by MeliPixie View Post
    No worries, I know how technology can be. If you are ever able to I'd love to buy them from you! I'll keep following this thread until you do
    That's super nice. I'll post here when I have more news

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ALE-L21 met Tapatalk

Bewaren
    Bewaren

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Lagoon Lily View Post
    I would suggest using softer shells. Real shells or plastic shells can hurt if you wear them for a long time. I started making silicone shells and it is so much more comfortable! I also sell them if you are intersted in a pair. You can buy them on my etsy if you like : http://bit.ly/2fB4GKB
    What would be the best way to attach your shells to a bra?

Does anyone have any detailed photos of how they or someone else has attached
    premade silicone shells to their own tops?
    ~<3
    If you could be so kind as to like my page, I'd appreciate it:
    https://www.facebook.com/patchesthemermaid/

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    What would be the best way to attach your shells to a bra?

Does anyone have any detailed photos of how they or someone else has attached
    premade silicone shells to their own tops?
    I would attach them with sil poxy. A glue especially made to attach silicone to other materials.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ALE-L21 met Tapatalk

Bewaren
    Bewaren