Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Finis Luna Mermaid Monofin

Hey guys I'm new to Mernetwork I'd like to use the Luna for my selfmade silicone tail. Do you think it would have enough propulsion? And some other mer mentioned it would probably not stick to dragon skin silicone or even melt?? Are there any experiences?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Here's my review!

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidThelxinoe View Post
    Hey guys I'm new to Mernetwork I'd like to use the Luna for my selfmade silicone tail. Do you think it would have enough propulsion? And some other mer mentioned it would probably not stick to dragon skin silicone or even melt?? Are there any experiences?
    Hi, welcome to MerNetwork! The silicone of the Luna is heat cured, so I'm not sure that any other silicone would properly adhere and cure. If you try it out, do let us know how it goes!

By the way, there are one or two companies who make tails without monofins, so I would think that yes, there would be enough propulsion to swim in. Perhaps just not enough to go very fast

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Currently deciding on a color/design and saving up for my first tail!

Quote Originally Posted by MeliPixie View Post
    Hi, welcome to MerNetwork! The silicone of the Luna is heat cured, so I'm not sure that any other silicone would properly adhere and cure. If you try it out, do let us know how it goes!

By the way, there are one or two companies who make tails without monofins, so I would think that yes, there would be enough propulsion to swim in. Perhaps just not enough to go very fast

Thank you both for your help I'll try some silicone on the Luna to see whether it cures. If it doesn't stick to it that's no problem... on other monofins it wouldn't adhere either but I can work with power mesh and Silpoxy

Hey guys For the case that someone is interested in my results: I tested Dragon Skin 10 medium on 4 monofins: Foil, Luna and Shooter by Finis and the Hydra. All monofins were washed with isopropyl alcohol first. This is recommended especially for the rubber parts like the footpockts of the shooter or the whole Foil. The silicone cured on the 3 Finis monofins but NOT on the footpocket part of the Hydra. Here it remained competely sticky! On the Foil and on the Footpockets of the Shooter it cured a little bit more slowly. On the Luna and on the fiberglass blade of the Shooter it cured perfectly fine. Nevertheless I won't use the Luna because of it's poor propulsion

If the silicone does stick to the Luna, can't you add something stiffer into the monofin to improve the propulsion?

Quote Originally Posted by lotusauriel View Post
    If the silicone does stick to the Luna, can't you add something stiffer into the monofin to improve the propulsion?
    It doesn't stick to the Luna, probably because it is another type of silicone...

Ok. I asked, because your update said it did, and you just wouldn't be using the Luna because of the propulsion issue. I have two Mahinas and a Luna, but haven't swam in the Luna yet. I am allergic to the rubber of the Mahina, but won't compromise on the propulsion, so I suffer through it. If I can make the Luna swim better, that would work for me. I will probably just make a monofin from scratch then.

Does it work in the ocean?

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Erin View Post
    Does it work in the ocean?
    Personally I wouldn't recommend it unless you have someone right there with you. It's very soft and the propulsion might not get you through the swells with enough strength to get you to the surface should the worst happen.

Thank you Melipixie!

Guys, I'm heartbroken. My strap has ripped almost completely off. I knew this was a possibility as I have to wear it a tiny bit too tight, because the next notch looser is waaay too loose... Does anyone know of any repair methods I can use? I love this fin and can't afford a new one right now I even already have fabric that matches to make a tail with it

Quote Originally Posted by MeliPixie View Post
    Guys, I'm heartbroken. My strap has ripped almost completely off. I knew this was a possibility as I have to wear it a tiny bit too tight, because the next notch looser is waaay too loose... Does anyone know of any repair methods I can use? I love this fin and can't afford a new one right now I even already have fabric that matches to make a tail with it

That sucks girl! When my mirage strap broke I tried melting it back together but that didn't work.... it ended up working out as it was so tight on my feet anyways so I did without the straps but that likely won't work in your case. Contact Finis to see what they can do and as well research to see if Silipoxy would work to repair the tear.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

Whelp..getting my Christmas present early. I was browsing amazon a few days ago and managed to hit the “buy with one one click now” button and not even realize it. Thankfully Hubby didn’t freak out too bad (and it was in our budget) Luna will be here Monday. Only thing is, I ordered the small. I normally wear a woman’s 7 so I’m not sure if it’s going to fit. After binge watching Courtney Mermaid I’m looking to try my hand at making my own tail. God help me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdmaid Faith View Post
    That sucks girl! When my mirage strap broke I tried melting it back together but that didn't work.... it ended up working out as it was so tight on my feet anyways so I did without the straps but that likely won't work in your case. Contact Finis to see what they can do and as well research to see if Silipoxy would work to repair the tear.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    I forgot to comment here, but I fixed her over the summer! Thanks to your suggestion I looked up a video tutorial for repairing silicone mermaid tails with silpoxy, and using that was able to repair and use my monofin. But my boyfriend also bought me a new fin at the same time just in case it didn't work, so now I have two!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Galia View Post
    Whelp..getting my Christmas present early. I was browsing amazon a few days ago and managed to hit the “buy with one one click now” button and not even realize it. Thankfully Hubby didn’t freak out too bad (and it was in our budget) Luna will be here Monday. Only thing is, I ordered the small. I normally wear a woman’s 7 so I’m not sure if it’s going to fit. After binge watching Courtney Mermaid I’m looking to try my hand at making my own tail. God help me.
    Haha well then, merry Christmas! Enjoy your monofin! I believe with your foot size, the size you purchased should fit alright. If not, you can always email finis about a return

Member Euro Pod
    so I send an email if they were going to release a large luna or in multiple colours, and they said they are currently not planning on doing so... :/
    they will take it into consideration when they'll review their product lines again tho.