Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Finis Luna Mermaid Monofin

Hey guys, I saw that no one had answered about the tin or platinum cure, so I went ahead and asked where I was already getting answers about other stuff: Instagram of all places! They DM'ed me an answer:

"Hi there, I reached out to the developer to answer your question and the answer is below. The fin is not a cast silicone product. It is a compression molded part, it's a different kinda of silicone for mass production. Our fins are heated to be cured. Does that help? Please don't hesitate to ask more questions."

Also I just got mine and will be testing it out today! I'll let you all know how it goes, I'm sooo excited! This is my first monofin/swimmable mermaiding accessory, squee!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Currently deciding on a color/design and saving up for my first tail!

OMG..... please go swim already!!! LOL. I NEED to know how this swims!

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

Haha sorry! Chores before play! I'll get in the pool as soon as I can! <3

😄

Hey, I know some of you were looking forward to how the monofin is, but I discovered some flaws in the silicone on mine. I am still waiting to hear back from Finis after the rep I emailed asked for photos, so we'll see. Sorry!

No worries. I hope the fix it quickly for you. 😁

Member Euro Pod
    Add Ocean on Facebook
    Visit Ocean's Youtube Channel
    I had a little chat with the folks at Finis when they launched the Luna Fin in the UK - they said that they would work on more if the demand was there. I tried the fin out, it is floppy and the propulsion is ok(ish) if you don't mind the work.... I feel that there is not enough fin to get the effect that they are after.... power and prettiness, they need a little more built in structure I think) but otherwise very comfortable and yeah I dont see why you cant add them to silicon skins, as suggested above
    International competitive freediver, mermaid and owner of Blue Water Freediving School - YES we run Mermaid courses and are suppliers of the leading monofin brands, including the brand new Ocean Star mermaid monofin!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=5iGwkUaztLc
    https://www.bluewaterfreediving.com/

Ocean - would you say the Luna performs the same as their foil monofin or is the foil better?
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Member Euro Pod
    Add Ocean on Facebook
    Visit Ocean's Youtube Channel
    Well I would say the the foil has more sturdiness but I loved the soft flow feel of the Luna - if you want power I'd stick with foil.... however I tried a medium Luna so maybe a large will create that surface space needed for propulsion.... I really struggle to swim in any finis fins but from the two I take the foil....... then if we are talking comfort, which effect performance... then Id be torn between the two.
    International competitive freediver, mermaid and owner of Blue Water Freediving School - YES we run Mermaid courses and are suppliers of the leading monofin brands, including the brand new Ocean Star mermaid monofin!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=5iGwkUaztLc
    https://www.bluewaterfreediving.com/

Hi guys, I heard back from Finis yesterday. Here is what she said: "I reviewed your photos and compared to the fins I have in the showroom here. Most have slight imperfections of the upper layer of the silicone. I took one and we scraped off the imperfection to see if it would weaken the silicone. We saw no issues after using the fin. Your fin should perform perfectly fine. If you prefer to return the fin for exchange we can arrange that or if an issue does arise we can address it at that point."

I went ahead and tested it out today, and it seems the imperfections have not caused any issue. Since I plan to make a tailskin or two for it, I'm not too terribly worried about how it looks personally, but if you are you may want to go somewhere where you can buy it in person rather than online.

The monofin is AWESOME. It's gorgeous, and from a distance, the imperfections are not visible. Because it's silicone it seems to have more flex than the fiberglass ones I've seen in videos. For me that is better because even if the propulsion is less, the tips are so bendy and pretty, and the whole point of this monofin is to look more mermaid-y, which it certainly does accomplish. And it definitely has more propulsion than, say, my bare feet, so there is that. I can get about 1.5 times as far with the monofin than without it.

I LOVE my Luna monofin now that I've gotten to use it, and the customer service from Finis was wonderful as well. I hope you guys enjoy yours if you get one! 💙

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I pre-ordered one and have swam in it once. I really like it. It has more propulsion than the Fin Fun. It is my first Finis, so I can't compare to other Finis'. I also have a Mahina and I found the Luna to be more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Curls View Post
    I pre-ordered one and have swam in it once. I really like it. It has more propulsion than the Fin Fun. It is my first Finis, so I can't compare to other Finis'. I also have a Mahina and I found the Luna to be more comfortable.
    Thank you for this! I have particularly been interested in how the Luna compares to the Mahina. I am trying to stay away from anything made with natural rubber latex, and most monofins are either latex or some uncomfortable plastic. I still want all of the speed, flexibility, and stability though. I want to be a fish!
    I'm also wanting to know if and how the Luna can be used in full tails, once I figure out if I can swim with it. At this point, it sounds like it will be worth it to try.

If you want speed I would suggest to use a fin made out of fiber but they need a lot of power. You may need to train up for such a fin.

Quote Originally Posted by fabianfrz View Post
    If you want speed I would suggest to use a fin made out of fiber but they need a lot of power. You may need to train up for such a fin.
    I want propulsion, but I also want the mermaid look and feel to build around. But beyond that, it still has to be comfortable. And it has to be non allergenic. If anybody has a list of really good monofins that are not made with latex, that would be awesome. That especially includes foot pockets. anything with latex needs to be labeled. That is a health concern for anybody not just me.

If any of you are thinking about getting one, Finis is having a sale 25% off your entire purchase on their website right now. The coupon code is seeingstars . US customers only.

Just got mine and swam in it yesterday! I'll obviously be doing a review, but here are my first impressions:
    1. Its very cute and mermaidy
    2. Quite comfortable and has decent straps, though hard for me to quickly remove
    3. Flows very well and is completely weightless - I did all kinds of swimming and playing for an hour and a half and barely noticed it there!
    4. Has some but not a ton of propulsion. I'll talk more about it in my review, but I feel like it hardly does anything in regards to getting a powerful kick.
    Would recommend as a toy and fun play monofin but not my preference - the Mahina is where its at!
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

Thank you so much! That is disappointing, but it's what I needed to know.

My monofin was scheduled to be here two weeks ago but its still not here, anyone else take a long time to come in?? (I don't have the tracking number either)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mermaid Kisses and Starfish Wishes!

Apparently its been delivered however the post office doesnt have it sooooo my mom ended up reaching out to them explaining my situation with the post office and was going to surprise me with my monofin when they visit in a few weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mermaid Kisses and Starfish Wishes!

Oh dear I wonder if it was left at the door and someone took it