Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I Be a Mermaid with all of these issues?

Senior Member Pod of The South Rebela Hunter's Avatar
    Oh my gosh, that's awesome !!!
    Thank you for the pictures, Raina !

It's nice to see that it won't hinder me to wear something more on the modest side of the spectrum ! <3
    'And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' - Matthew 4:19 (KJV)

Hobbyist Mermaid & Orca Enthusiast
    DeviantART || Facebook || Instagram

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    There is a Mermaid show at one of the hotels off the strip in Las Vegas that features a large salt water aquarium with fish. The mermaids are all in fabric tails that are attached to nude colored long sleeve body suits with a decorated "bra" of large starfish or cloth seashells that match their tails, sewn right over the bodysuit. Their pearl rope necklaces, bracelets and jewelry were also sewn right onto the bodysuit so that it's all one piece. They all wore brightly colored wigs that matched their tails, nose plugs AND thin goggles! I was expecting more realism but the little kids loved them anyway!!

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    I think I seen a picture of that from when my friend Tabitha visited there. I can always ask her to visit there and get a picture if we can't find one as she lives there.

edit:
    Never mind. It wasn't the one I was thinking off.
    Last edited by Slim; 02-05-2017 at 01:07 AM.

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Sabrina the Selkie's Avatar
    Chicago (brrrrr... warm up already, lake!)
    So glad everyone here has answered what I would want to say!

I occasionally swim during family swims at pools, and some days I want more coverage - little kids can be grabby - and they're all astounded by my tail EVEN when I'm wearing a one piece with it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hello Lovely,

I'm so happy to see so many people respond to this with such awesome ideas. I hope you've found some finspiration from it all!

Okay so, you totally can wear one pieces/tankinis and pull off a professional/fun mermaidy look. I think it would make sense especially for working with kids to be more modest. Kids like to be grabby/clingy when dealing with special characters. You could alter a one piece in a lot of ways- I think it'd be kind of cute to sew a skirt around the waist or just about where the tail comes up to so it looks like a little dress thing? I wish I could draw this out lol... Or you can wear cute tankinis- I'm pretty sure they have some with mermaid patterns to them. Or you could do seashells with like green underneath like a seaweed wrap? I don't know trying to be creative and helpful? I feel like just having a bunch of ideas to go through might give you ideas for what you want to do?

Hmm, okay so I'm not a professional at all- just getting started on my Underwater Journey.

And as for not going very deep- the lap pool I like to swim in sometimes, goes to like 6 feet in the deeper end, and is like 4 feet or so? in the shallow end. I can swim the whole thing close to the bottom or up at the top fairly comfortably. When I do though I always feel like I'm swimming some sort of race haha, so maybe your mersona could be a really fast swimming mermaid? A racer? Little kids love to race in the pool haha. Even if the pool is deeper it doesn't mean you have to go any deeper than that, you can just swim around. I don't think you'd be asked to swim very deep for gigs anyway, you'd be asked to swim with the kids and most of them should be staying in shallow water/by the surface of the water.
    Hope some of this helped? Take care!

Thank you all so much <3
    I'm glad this has helped many, including myself, and I love hearing all these creative and wonderful ideas!

I've found a tankini that is strapless but covers my entire torso - it even has cute ruffles that really go well with my tail! <3
    I'll post pictures next time I swim with it!

Again, thank you all, and God bless you all - you're all such amazing and wonderful mers!!!
    'And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' - Matthew 4:19 (KJV)

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Sabrina the Selkie's Avatar
    Chicago (brrrrr... warm up already, lake!)
    Yay! I'm so glad you found something that works so well!!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Just as an update -

I managed to find a strapless tankini and it fits very well with my fabric tail !!!
    Thank you all so much for your suggestions <3

Good luck, post pics of what you come up with! I just wanted to add that my kid is wearing a one-piece in my profile pic and we incorporated a little skirt into the design. So cute!
    Beautiful beaded tops and silicone fins and flukes for enhancing your tail at my Etsy shop: Fancy Fish Fashions!
    Follow me on Facebook

Hey I was looking for the same sort of advice too on a modest top for religious reasons as well I have only seen it a couple of times before and now I am having a hard time finding picture evidence now that I need it, but I thought making or finding an old cool Victorian looking corset would look cool and it covers the belly. Granted I know it would be hard to swim in a real corset and I wouldnt advise it, but for pictures I am sure it wold look gorgeous if you are not doing a wet gig. Hope that helps and I found lots of info here that will help me

@thelittleredmermaid - I was thinking about that, too!
    I'm going to have an outfit for dry events [more of a fancy thing with a mini-tophat and a tailcoat] but I was just seeing what I could wear in the water if I couldn't swim with my outfit C:
    Thank you for the advice !!! <3