Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neoprene vs. scuba knit, how do they compare?

Neoprene vs. scuba knit, how do they compare?

Hi all! I'm planning on doing a second go at a partial tail but I can't decide whether to go with neoprene or scuba knit. Does anyone on the forum have experience with scuba knit? How thick is it? It caught my attention since a few tailmakers use it in their partial tails and researching it, it is a lot cheaper per yard than neoprene is but how does it hold up?

I have two scuba knit tails. Haven't swam in them much, but I have painted them and sewn them!

It is very flowy and soft and easily flops. It sews like you're going through a t-shirt, really. Not too thick at all, and would certainly show the lines/ridges of a monofin. But it takes Lumiere very nicely. I would go with the neoprene if you have the funds; it'll look more realistic and last longer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Twilight darkens, yet there in the shade,
    Lies a glimmering shadow, the wild mermaid;

As night draws ever closer, there's a choice to be made--
    Will you stay as you are, or be delivered to the waves?

Laumina the Storm Siren

Instagram: mermaidwhisperofficial | Facebook: Mermaid Whisper | YouTube: Mermaid Whisper

My sequin tail has a scuba knit base. It's about .5 mm thick and goes through the sewing machine easily. I prefer it to neoprene because it is less floaty and cheaper, yet much thicker than spandex. I know several others on here who used it as a base for their sequin tails but don't know about anyone who has used it with silicone. Be careful where you buy from though because it seems different stores have different opinions about what scuba knit is. I intially bought mine from fabric.com but when I got it, it wasn't what I was looking for. Too thin, and more like spandex. Then I bought what was labeled neoprene scuba from fabric warehouse direct, and that was what I wanted and used.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Thank you both!
    Do you think it would hold up under silicone? how warm would you say it is and how much stretch does it have?

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Momo View Post
    Thank you both!
    Do you think it would hold up under silicone? how warm would you say it is and how much stretch does it have?
    I think it'll hold up under silicone. Its not as warm as neoprene obviously because its only .5mm but I was able to wear mine all day at GAC during Mermania without getting cold, which says somthing because I'm a freeze baby. I think Mermaid Mazu is making a silicone hybrid one with it now that I have had a chance to browse the forums more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Aria View Post
    My sequin tail has a scuba knit base. It's about .5 mm thick and goes through the sewing machine easily. I prefer it to neoprene because it is less floaty and cheaper, yet much thicker than spandex. I know several others on here who used it as a base for their sequin tails but don't know about anyone who has used it with silicone. Be careful where you buy from though because it seems different stores have different opinions about what scuba knit is. I intially bought mine from fabric.com but when I got it, it wasn't what I was looking for. Too thin, and more like spandex. Then I bought what was labeled neoprene scuba from fabric warehouse direct, and that was what I wanted and used.

https://www.fabricwholesaledirect.co...ant=1679915523
    Is this what you ordered?

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Momo View Post
    Yep that's it!

Thank you! I think I'll end up ordering it It's thick enough so that if I lay it down it won't fly up if I say took something sticky to it right? (if that makes sense) because I'm going to be piping the silicone on top of the two tail skin halves and don't want to start piping and find out it likes to roll up with the silicone tubing.

It shouldn't do that it's thick enough. Let me know how it works out

Can do! Thank you so much for your help! Hopefully my new tail will be complete by the end of March!

Senior Member Pod of the Midwest mermaid mazu's Avatar
    Hi momo after much debate trying to figure out exactly what I use as my base for my hybrids, it is in fact scuba knit. I personally really like it. It holds up nicely under silicone caulk, I'm sure it would under the good stuff too.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I've been thinking of a scuba knit tail for awhile...

Is it warmer than spandex? And does it have the same amount of stretch?
    Formerly known as ireneho

It's a lot thicker than spandex so it is warmer. It has good stretch but maybe not quite as much as spandex

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Thanks! I ordered a sample. I don't swim in ocean but the pool sometimes is cold, even in winter!
    Formerly known as ireneho

I ordered 2 yards last week sadly I'm not sure if it shipped at all since i never got a shipping confirmation

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

Hang on and I'll see if I can find a link to the company I always use. They are really fast.

That's who I ordered from. Do they usually send a tracking number because I haven't gotten one yet.

I've always ordered through ebay (which I now see is cheaper straight from their site) so ebay has always sent me notification not them. I've ordered from them on 4 occasions though and always get it in a couple of weeks

I'll update this later with a detailed overview of neoprene vs. scuba knit, what are some things you'd like me to focus on to compare and contrast?