Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: NC Mermania 2018 official thread

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Because none of that information is available right now, as I've said a few times in this thread. we wont know the price until we confirm the venues. As it'll depend on how much they charge us. Thats why it says all over the website that 2018 info info will be available soon.

I am already ready for 2018!

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid_Izzy View Post
    Isn't the dive well at the GAC a saltwater pool? Cause I can usually swim in chlorine just fine, but that made my eyes sting a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    yeah the GAC was salt.
    I* believe GAC is Sodium Hypochlorite (aka bleach). When NaClO is used in the water, the sodium (a stabilizer) breaks off and hangs out. The oxygen atom evaporates away, and the chlorine atom bonds to nitrogen to kill stuff. (For you chemistry nerds it looks like this: NaClO + H2O → Na+ + Cl− + 2 HO•). Over time the sodium builds up and gives a pool a salty taste and leads to people thinking its an actual salt water pool (and because they are never told correctly, that is what the lifeguards think and tell everyone else).
    The eyes burning is caused by the dreaded chloramines. Chloramines are the reaction of the chlorine and nitrogen (from urine, sweat, bacteria, viruses). Chloramines are what give pools the chlorine smell, burn ices, cause itching, and respiratory issues. Good pools, such as the GAC, use UV filters to destroy the chloramines, but it's a slow process and when you stick 300 mermaids and mermen into a pool, there is a lot on their skin to kill. If you got into the GAC before everyone else does there wouldn't be any chlorine smell, which indicates a healthy pool. During the summer you might notice outdoor pools are a bit better (until all the day camps come in and pee) because the chloramines can evaporate away and be blown off the pool surface, and the UV from the sun does the same thing a UV filter at an indoor pool does.

There was a good article recently that covers this, mainly it's response in air. https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.co...rrated-issues/

*I have been a CPO (Certified Pool and Spa Operator) for 5 years and have been working with NaClO the entire time.

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid_Izzy's Avatar
    My lovely home in the mountains...(aka Southwest VA)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merman Chatfish View Post
    I* believe GAC is Sodium Hypochlorite (aka bleach). When NaClO is used in the water, the sodium (a stabilizer) breaks off and hangs out. The oxygen atom evaporates away, and the chlorine atom bonds to nitrogen to kill stuff. (For you chemistry nerds it looks like this: NaClO + H2O → Na+ + Cl− + 2 HO•). Over time the sodium builds up and gives a pool a salty taste and leads to people thinking its an actual salt water pool (and because they are never told correctly, that is what the lifeguards think and tell everyone else).
    The eyes burning is caused by the dreaded chloramines. Chloramines are the reaction of the chlorine and nitrogen (from urine, sweat, bacteria, viruses). Chloramines are what give pools the chlorine smell, burn ices, cause itching, and respiratory issues. Good pools, such as the GAC, use UV filters to destroy the chloramines, but it's a slow process and when you stick 300 mermaids and mermen into a pool, there is a lot on their skin to kill. If you got into the GAC before everyone else does there wouldn't be any chlorine smell, which indicates a healthy pool. During the summer you might notice outdoor pools are a bit better (until all the day camps come in and pee) because the chloramines can evaporate away and be blown off the pool surface, and the UV from the sun does the same thing a UV filter at an indoor pool does.

There was a good article recently that covers this, mainly it's response in air. https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.co...rrated-issues/

*I have been a CPO (Certified Pool and Spa Operator) for 5 years and have been working with NaClO the entire time.
    I was actually one of the first in about 20 mermaids in on the first day and it still ended up stinging my eyes, but of course it was after more mermaids got in.

Sent from my ShellPhone using Tapatalk

Is there dates being considered? I'd have to fly up from Mississippi for this one lol.

Sorry folks we are waiting on the GAC who are notoriously slow when it comes to this stuff. We need to secure a weekend where they can give us the entire facility basically.

Junior Member Pod of The South emmaray's Avatar
    Follow emmaray On Twitter
    AH I'm so excited!!!! It will be my first mermania!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Just keep swimming~

Junior Member Pod of The South emmaray's Avatar
    Follow emmaray On Twitter
    How much is admission without the hotel?

~Just keep swimming~

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod MerGreg's Avatar
    Add MerGreg on Facebook
    WAAAAYYYY too soon for them to answer. There's so much they have to work out, expenses they have to assess, before they can have a price point.

But I assure you - it WILL be worth it!!!

Yup. as it says all through this tread. All that will be on the website when it's ready

UPDATE

We are working away (still) at nailing down the specific dates, and finalizing the new hotel. Once we have those two things we'll be securing our special guests. THEN everything will be announced.

For now, we have updated the volunteer page! Applications are NOT open yet, but will be once we set our date!

http://ncmermania.com/get-involved/volunteers/

I defiantly want to go to this one I haven't been to any yet.

Hope I can come to this one. With luck my silicone tail will ve done by then

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
    Owner/Operator behind Tails & Portholes
    Store Blog
    - Personal Blog - Twitter - Instagram - Store Facebook
    This treasure cums for YOUR booty

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    I'm gonna do my best to make it to this one as well. I miss my fishy friends! Better start up my piggy bank again!

Junior Member Pod of Texas Kalo's Avatar
    Follow Kalo On Twitter Add Kalo on Facebook
    Follow Kalo on Tumblr
    Hey guys!

Can anyone tell me about vending art at Mermania?

I'm an artist who is used to attending cons across the country selling my art. That's how I pay my way to conventions, so my trip hinges on if I can sell. I do furry cons, anime cons, and comic cons. I want to sell art at Mermania 2018, but I have no idea what to expect. I have TONS of mermaid themed prints and originals to sell.

My specialty is taking custom sketch commissions, full drawings, and badges. Completed at con. That's what I like to focus on.

I would want to be in the pool a lot, though, so I don't know how much custom art I'd be able to take at the con?

What are the hours like?

Would you buy a sketch of yourself as your merself at the con?

I'm coming from mostly furry cons where people want lots of custom art of their fursonas. I just didn't know if it was something merfolk were interested in o.o

My work is at www.artbykalo.com, Instagram @kalo_mermaid

As I've yet to attend this con, but am familiar with other cons, can I just say that your art is adorable and a con badge would be legit!

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
    Owner/Operator behind Tails & Portholes
    Store Blog
    - Personal Blog - Twitter - Instagram - Store Facebook
    This treasure cums for YOUR booty

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid_Izzy's Avatar
    My lovely home in the mountains...(aka Southwest VA)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalo View Post
    Hey guys!

Can anyone tell me about vending art at Mermania?

I'm an artist who is used to attending cons across the country selling my art. That's how I pay my way to conventions, so my trip hinges on if I can sell. I do furry cons, anime cons, and comic cons. I want to sell art at Mermania 2018, but I have no idea what to expect. I have TONS of mermaid themed prints and originals to sell.

My specialty is taking custom sketch commissions, full drawings, and badges. Completed at con. That's what I like to focus on.

I would want to be in the pool a lot, though, so I don't know how much custom art I'd be able to take at the con?

What are the hours like?

Would you buy a sketch of yourself as your merself at the con?

I'm coming from mostly furry cons where people want lots of custom art of their fursonas. I just didn't know if it was something merfolk were interested in o.o

I'm sure when Raina comes she can tell you more, but last year the venders set up at the opening event (craft swap) at the hotel, and the rest of the time they were set up around the dive well (the pool). I don't know if everyone will be around the dive well this upcoming year because there was talk of renting out the whole GAC. I hope this helps!

Oh and Philo Barnhart (animator of the Little Mermaid) had a booth set up last year selling his artwork.

Sent from my ShellPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod MerGreg's Avatar
    Add MerGreg on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalo View Post
    Hey guys!

Oh, I assure you - merfolk ARE Very Much Interested!

Hey everyone. I have pretty much the entirety of Mermania planned and fleshed out- and have for months- but I have been waiting months for Dan to secure the venue, the GAC dates, and the line of credit needed for fronting specific expenses (deposits that need to be put down etc). It's literally been sitting there ready to go for months, but it's all on the founder. I can't do those things from Canada. (I considered using my own line of credit but because of exchange rate it wouldnt be enough)

We are hoping to have it the long weekend in May as the earlier months aren't available. But still waiting to hear back.

When the dates and deposits are secured, all of the website will go live and people can purchase vending packages. The idea is to have several packages to choose from with different levels of involvement to help fit every budget. I will say, they have to go up slightly from last year in price because the venues ended up charging us a rate per vendor and that wasn't clear to us. But, Mermania isn't a profit driven thing, it's a 'let's break even' thing - so no worries about anything being TOO expensive.

Really that's all I can say. I took a step back to focus on my own life and business when we stalled waiting for the dates. But it's all just sitting there ready to go. I'm not interested in running it all myself for most of the year like last year so I did what I did and it's waiting on Dan lol

Following

Mermaid Kisses and Starfish Wishes!