Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: NC Mermania 2018 official thread

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    How can people just totally ignore ACTUAL EVIDENCE in favour of the "lets hate Raina train" like seriously.
    People: ''OMG!!! A person who has been extremely helpful and supportive of the community! GET HER!!''

Me: ''....'' *slams head on desk*

So many people don't want to take this on because they see how much work Venessa and I put in, and how much we've been shit on. You want another con folks? Shitting on the people who worked their ass off to make one for you is not the way to do it.
    Amen. Let's see them try to host their own -- Dan's poor leadership has given the haters an opportunity to show us how to do it right.

So far, we're not impressed.
    "Only in death does duty end." -- Warhammer 40,000

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    So many of the haters have already tried and failed. It's nuts.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

So many of the haters have already tried and failed. It's nuts.

Wow, I knew you guys got a lot of hate for no reason but this is ridiculous! I'm so sorry you had to go through all of this!
    Mermaid Sagittaria
    Savannah, GA | Richmond, VA
    Competitive Swimmer since 2005 | Aspiring Animator
    9 Time National Champion Swimmer | 11 Time All-American Swimmer
    Art Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/abigail_richey/
    Mermaid Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tybee_mermaid/

I was interested in going to mermainia for the first time this year but I think I'll take a pass on anything with Dan's name on it. Super excited to see what else crops up though!

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
    Owner/Operator behind Tails & Portholes
    Store Blog
    - Personal Blog - Twitter - Instagram - Store Facebook
    This treasure cums for YOUR booty

Wow. I was also interested in attending, but I think I'll take a hard pass.

Having run a convention in a different fandom, I cannot believe that the organizer had such a lack of communication. Also, super unprofessional to say what you did to Raina (a staff member) a public forum. Your staff is your back bone. If you don't treat them well, you're going to have a bad time.

I haven't seen this big if a con implosion since AniZona.

They don't exist anymore because they kept treating guests and staff like crap.

They also used staff as scapegoats when their poor management left most of their staff with their hands tied waiting on the con chair to make a damn decision.

This is not how you run any kind of con. Especially one so tailored as this.

First Tail Progress: Materials decided, saving begins

Member Chesapeake Pod Tom Cardwell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadrea_Narwhal View Post
    I haven't seen this big if a con implosion since AniZona.

They don't exist anymore because they kept treating guests and staff like crap.

They also used staff as scapegoats when their poor management left most of their staff with their hands tied waiting on the con chair to make a damn decision.

This is not how you run any kind of con. Especially one so tailored as this.

Thing is, it's like a professional sports team splitting up after winning a championship. Everything went great in spit of itself and the fan are asking why because they see the potential for multiple championships.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I don't really get sports, sorry.

But I've been working /volunteering at conventions for more than a decade.

I recognize what's going on from the posts here. I've been in the same exact position as those who were volunteering and are being made into scapegoats.

To answer your why: Poor management and ego.

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod MerGreg's Avatar
    Add MerGreg on Facebook
    Ania, I am SO sorry. You and Venessa did such amazing work last year - but even if it was only mediocre, you certainly wouldn't deserve what you've been put through.

Last year is a wonderful memory, and I guess that's all I got.

In Singapore we have ADEX, the Asian Dive Expo. They specifically have a track for merfolk -- perhaps it'd be easier to partner with an established show rather than build one from scratch.
    "Only in death does duty end." -- Warhammer 40,000

Senior Member Pod of The South Carolina Mermaid's Avatar
    Good lord, I've been gone for a few years and all this is going down. What did I miss? Dan's became an ass and people are throwing shade at Rania and now there's not going to be a convention. This is crazy. I'm sorry you're going through this Rania, you're to good of a person for getting all this hate!

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Mermaid View Post
    Good lord, I've been gone for a few years and all this is going down. What did I miss? Dan's became an ass and people are throwing shade at Rania and now there's not going to be a convention. This is crazy. I'm sorry you're going through this Rania, you're to good of a person for getting all this hate!
    it's been going down for a while now, since last Mermania. At the moment Dan is avoiding the apology he promised Raina and Venessa by posting EVERYWHERE with stupid jokes, fish pictures and talk about that damn island. he can do everything in the world except take responsibility for his failure
    Take the wave now and know that you're free
    Turn your back on the land face the sea
    Face the wind now so wild and so strong
    When you think of me
    Wave to me and send me a song

Senior Member Pod of The South Carolina Mermaid's Avatar
    That's unreal.

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaylennMurúch View Post
    Dan is avoiding the apology he promised Raina and Venessa by posting EVERYWHERE with stupid jokes, fish pictures and talk about that damn island.
    One side keeps the other side going.
    I did post a lengthy explanation and apology on FB.
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

Quote Originally Posted by MeliPixie View Post
    Exciting! Does a mermaid at heart like myself have to have a tail to attend? I'm hoping to have one by then but times are hard, lol.

Sent from my Shellphone using Tapatalk for Android
    i recommend wish for a cheap tail if you’re normal sized. I’m plus size so I ordered one for my sister through there. Just make sure to check the materials, finfun occasionally has tails on there cheap.

Thanks for the reply! Actually I would personally never buy a tail off of Wish. Wish is loaded with lots of ripoff tail makers with some very unsafe monofins, and often the companies selling tails on there will steal designs from other tailmakers. It's all very sketchy. Since posting this question, I've actually bought a monofin and fabric to make my own tail! Perhaps I'll bring it if MerMania opens up again.
    Quote Originally Posted by AbbyOfGailous View Post
    i recommend wish for a cheap tail if you’re normal sized. I’m plus size so I ordered one for my sister through there. Just make sure to check the materials, finfun occasionally has tails on there cheap.
    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Currently deciding on a color/design and saving up for my first tail!

Junior Member Undisclosed Pod krysyoyo's Avatar
    Follow krysyoyo On Twitter
    Follow krysyoyo on Tumblr Visit krysyoyo's Youtube Channel
    Okay, so I just skimmed through these last couple of pages, but I'm still a little confused on what exactly happened? Something about the owner of the convention ignoring the staff..?

I'm real sorry, it's a bit hard for me to understand what's going on since I'm still very new to this community. So if somebody could please gimme a quick overview on what's going on, I'd greatly appreciate it ;;

Thank you so much!!

[
    krys trans non-binary [ hehim ] latinx ]

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod MerGreg's Avatar
    Add MerGreg on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by krysyoyo View Post
    So if somebody could please gimme a quick overview on what's going on, I'd greatly appreciate it ;;

Thank you so much!!
    First of all, Welcome!

Secondly, you're probably a LOT happier not knowing...

Long story short: One guy started the event, two other women started doing all the detail work and really busted their humps to make everything happen, and the guy who had the legal ownership of it just stopped returning their emails and phone calls for MONTHS until the whole thing died.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCorvidae View Post
    Oh boy, I sure can't wait to go to Mermaid Dashcon 2018.
    Maybe we'll get an extra hour in the ball pit!