Thread: Altering Mythic tail?!

Unhappy Altering Mythic tail?!

Long story short; I bought a FF Mythic tail second hand from one of the members here.
    I had long thoughts before buying it and measured myself several times and checking the Ff measurment chart. The tail is size L.

The tail came in a few days ago and I was starstruck on how beautyful it was. Norhing like in the pictures or videos I have seen online!

i tried it on asap.
    And now it comes.... the tail is way to big, like everywhere!
    EU size i'm a 42 - L/XL. If I see how the sizing is done by Ff i sould get a Small next time.
    only 2 things to do) Sell it - wich I can't since it was love at first sight.
    ) Alter it comepletly, wich is a massive job.

I contact the girls from FF on what to do but ofcourse no responce, wich I understand completly due the Mythic tail backups.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?! I'm heartbroken!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I dont think there's anything finfolk can do for you, you bought it second hand. I would sell it and buy the right size when they sell again, or hang on to it and see if someone else sells a secondhand size that will fit you better.

I'm the same size of you...You mean a small can fit me??

~Neerai Every, the Pirate Mermaid~

They seem to run big, looking at the size chart. I'd fit an extra small.

Quote Originally Posted by Neerai View Post
    I'm the same size of you...You mean a small can fit me??
    Yes I think so. I think a L would fit EU 44-46+ The beoprene is suuuuper stretchy. I'm soaked in the tail lol.

Yeah I've heard a couple of times that the mythic tail sizing runs very large I'd need an S... at most... guess I'd fit in an XS as well but then the tail would def be too short (I'm 5'9).

Ariel, you could wear thick neoprene leggings in your mythic tail. If that does not solve the problem I would sell it... haven't heard so far about a successful attempt at making it smaller. But perhaps you could ask advice from an experienced tailor?
    Last edited by MermaidLiara; 02-24-2017 at 04:23 AM.

I'm going to ask a friend of mine (who is a great tailor!) to take a look at the tail. If she say's no, i'll have to sell her.

The best way I can think of to do this is to detach the resin scales on each side where the seam is, and then sew accordingly, neoprene isn't the worst to sew it works pretty well. The only thing I would be worried about is if the scales are attached with threads, make sure it isn't one long continuing thread, if so you will have to make sure to tie off each area where you cut a scale.

It could turn out being really cool, since it would be super custom for you and you could use the extra scales to sew on the tail and help blend the colors better since the pre fab ones don't blend that well in my opinion.

I would say if you have experience sewing to go ahead and do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question on sizing; does any one have a mythic tail who can tell me their measurements vs the tail size and how it fits them? Also how does it look? Are you pleased with it?

Quote Originally Posted by jamminhippie06 View Post
    The best way I can think of to do this is to detach the resin scales on each side where the seam is, and then sew accordingly, neoprene isn't the worst to sew it works pretty well. The only thing I would be worried about is if the scales are attached with threads, make sure it isn't one long continuing thread, if so you will have to make sure to tie off each area where you cut a scale.

It could turn out being really cool, since it would be super custom for you and you could use the extra scales to sew on the tail and help blend the colors better since the pre fab ones don't blend that well in my opinion.

I would say if you have experience sewing to go ahead and do it.

i was thinking the exact same thing!
    But my guess it is a long tread...

Here is a picture of my tail bext to the mythic one - to give you an eida about sizing.
    I'm blown away by the hige size difference. Lol

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/v...ps2tathlfo.jpg

Ariel I cannot figure out how to open the link, but I think you should try it! Which color did you get?

Quote Originally Posted by jamminhippie06 View Post
    Ariel I cannot figure out how to open the link, but I think you should try it! Which color did you get?

Oh never mind!! Just saw it! So it looks like it would be pretty easy, and the scales are in straight rows so it will be easier to remove them probably!

By hand... onz by one... lol.

First, the liner inside needs to be removed, then the outer scales and trim the neoprene, wich is a problem with the hip fins. It needs to go smaller than that. The neoprene stretches super hard so the tail still would be bulky. :/

Ok, I made a decision... I can't alter the tail , it needs to be six scale rows smaller and can't do that due the hip fins. I'm going to sell this beauty.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Have you tried sewing in darts? Sewing in darts helps to resize the garment and add shape.
    Here's a video.
    https://sewing.wonderhowto.com/how-t...attern-419378/
    Formerly known as ireneho

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Naww... Darts are a good way to alter sizes.

Oh well... I hope you get a good deal for it.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Naww... Darts are a good way to alter sizes.

Oh well... I hope you get a good deal for it.

Thanks for the help love ❤ But I won't think this method wil work for me .