Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Propulsion Comparison?

Senior Member Pod of The South

Propulsion Comparison?

Does anyone have a number of the most widely used fins (shooter, rapid, mahina, hydra, competitor, etc.) that can compare the propulsion between them? I am looking for a fin for my tail and want the most propulsion for the money that I can get. I thought I heard that the mahina was in between the rapid and the competitor propulsion wise, is this true? I am afraid of ordering the mahina and being disapointed by the propulsion.
    ~Merman Rett Of Georgia~

(Formerly Known as Risingmermaid)

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I have a foil, merfin and a no name monofin that I got from ebay. I have more monofins, but since that is what you're after, I listed three that matched your request.

Due to my lack of core strength, I found the merfin most hard to use but at the same time, gave a lot of push through the water. And its fin tips are very flowy. The merfin is more natural in terms of flex and bend. Even by itself, ankle biters still think I'm a real mermaid!

The no name monofin, is a China made monofin, they called it a, "mermaid paddle". It has the same amount of push as my merfin but much lighter and easier to carry on the bus. Its also quite stiff, not as flexible as a rubber monofin, I can still do zoomies. It is slightly smaller than an adult merfin, by about 2cm all round.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Comfortab...I2JVZviR9F5xXw

The foil is my fave practice fin, for when the deep end is not available, and I'm stuck in shallow waters. Its also quite speedy, and easy to transport.

Then there's also this, on alibaba but not yet on aliexpress... https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...838.0.0.p1kblb
    Formerly known as ireneho

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    I have swam in a mahina and it is very pushy imo. My competitor is better, but also harder to use.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    my company did the first published study on mermaid tails through Dalhousie. We tested a wave, rapid, foil, and competitor. tested them on their own, and in tails. The finis competitor was the fastest out of all across 5 different swimmers, both in tail and out of tail

I didnt test the mahina, but personally I found it had no push LOL

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    How did you know it didn't have push if you didn't try it? Watching someone else swim, is a lot different to using the fin yourself.

I didn't TEST it. Meaning I didn't test it for the study. I have swam in one. We didn't include it in our study because we didnt have a silicone tail with one inside. So we coudln't make reliable comparisons. So I can't tell you a measurement for it's speed like I can with the others, just sharing my personal opinion

Ah i see. Its confusing when you say it like that. Should've said you swam in one but didn't find much push.

OP, didn't ask about your study tests, just how the monofins performed.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mer-Crazy's Avatar

Visit Mer-Crazy's Youtube Channel
    Well I feel like a study done under scientific observation with accurate data (scientifically generated not someone going 'I feel like this swims better') would be more the kind of information OP was looking for.

Raina specifically said 'I didn't test it but personally found it had no push' so I feel like she worded it fine.

I found it a little hard to get going with it the first time I used it with my sequin tail, but it got better once I got used to it. You can kinda see it in this video. I look a little wobbly.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQvnCXDAFb8/

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Ah i see. Its confusing when you say it like that. Should've said you swam in one but didn't find much push.

OP, didn't ask about your study tests, just how the monofins performed.
    I made two posts, the first one is backing up the speed with the fins I talked about, and since the Mahina was brought up I posted about it second in a separate thing to differentiate it wasn't part of the study. I don't really see the point it criticizing my point because you misunderstood it.

I think you must have missed my entire first post, and just zeroed in on the mahina one.

my company did the first published study on mermaid tails through Dalhousie. We tested a wave, rapid, foil, and competitor. tested them on their own, and in tails. The finis competitor was the fastest out of all across 5 different swimmers, both in tail and out of tail

I don't have to talk about things only when people ask. It is relevant to the discussion.

Well we are all sharing opinions here. If not for honest opinions, how else would OP be able to make a better decision.

Lol Well before I had tried it I had only used my modified wave (very draggy from the extension) so it might have been that that made the fin feel more pushy I'm sure if i tried the competitor first, the Mahina would feel kinda eh. But its pretty!

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Well we are all sharing opinions here. If not for honest opinions, how else would OP be able to make a better decision.
    so then what exactly is the issue of me bringing up actual data that backs up the propulsion on fins- in a thread specifically asking about that???? And then sharing my opinion on another fin??

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Wesley View Post
    Lol Well before I had tried it I had only used my modified wave (very draggy from the extension) so it might have been that that made the fin feel more pushy I'm sure if i tried the competitor first, the Mahina would feel kinda eh. But its pretty!
    I'd love to try some of the other larger fins out there but soooo expensive!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mer-Crazy's Avatar

Visit Mer-Crazy's Youtube Channel
    I tried a waterway (pretty sure that's what it was) once and the push was fine, I still don't think as good as a competitor, but better than a trainer but the foot pockets were so uncomfortable! They were stiff and firm and just horrible I couldn't wear the fin for very long.

I had a FINIS Competitor Monofin for a while but it was badly manufactured sadly.

I currently have a leaderfin sport monofin in my tail (uncut) I got it for a good $150 online and its the best. I have power and still a little bit of flow to it. I personally love it to bits, I haven't had any leg cramps, Im pretty agile in the water, while still maintaining that mermaidy kind of look (im not a flowy tail mermaid but still, i love the way it moves) everyone's different I suppose

If you want to see what I mean, here's video of my giant monster of a tail, all 35 inches of her in this video - they're literally right on my flukes on a slow swim lol:
    Last edited by New York Mermaid; 03-10-2017 at 06:35 AM.

I don't see any issues with voicing our opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Crazy View Post
    I tried a waterway (pretty sure that's what it was) once and the push was fine, I still don't think as good as a competitor, but better than a trainer but the foot pockets were so uncomfortable! They were stiff and firm and just horrible I couldn't wear the fin for very long.
    I didn't notice a difference between the waterway model 1 and competitor in terms of push (in fact I think its the exact same blade from the same manufacturer but i could be wrong), but I agree the foot pockets are a little rough. (On the up side, its half the price of a competitor. Screw you, feet! My wallet made this decision! )

I'd love to try some of the other larger fins out there but soooo expensive!
    Oh gosh yes. My wishlist: mahina merfin, trainer, dol-fin, some of those cute rubber fins that come out now and again, that clear hydra, lunocet.... Student teachers don't make enough money (read: actually no income atm) for this hobby

And then we get into my insane desire to make my own rubber monofins. SIGH.

I think it also depends on the skill of the user. For example, for me, the merfin has a lot of push, but, I've never had the opportunity to try a professional monofin. I've tried a Hydra, but found the blade too soft for my taste.

Whereas someone who have used say a, Competitor for a long time may find the softer fins like Mahina, Mirage, even Finis Foil, will have less push that what they are used to.

And by professional, I mean the Leaderfins, Waterway, Specialfins, Competitor etc. So for my personal experience with the fins that I own, I find each of them have pros and cons, but they are still fun to use.
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 03-10-2017 at 01:44 PM.