Thread: Modest mermaid

Modest mermaid

I'm trying to come up with a modest mermaid top, anything that just looks more than a bikini top, to match my silicone tail! If anyone had any picture, ideas or inspiration that would be awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Ideally, you could just buy a tankini, or if no tankini are available in your fave style and size, get the one piece and cut off the pants part. Some of the fabric tail makers, make swimwear as well. You might try those instead, and decorate them.
    Formerly known as ireneho

I like to wear sports bras as a swim top sometimes. They are more modest and some of them come in pretty designs.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

To add to the sports bra tip; I've also seen sports bikini tops becoming more common (what took them so long?! I need them...). I assume it would take some creativity but it is not impossible to turn something like that into a pretty mermaid top. Do you have any ideas yet of what you would like it to be, any details you would like to include? Shells, scales, colors?
    Also depending on what decorations you would like to use, it might be a better idea to buy some durable type of fabric and create your own top, then decorate. Some common fabrics used in swimwear are rather thin.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Marriel View Post
    To add to the sports bra tip; I've also seen sports bikini tops becoming more common (what took them so long?! I need them...). I assume it would take some creativity but it is not impossible to turn something like that into a pretty mermaid top. Do you have any ideas yet of what you would like it to be, any details you would like to include? Shells, scales, colors?
    Also depending on what decorations you would like to use, it might be a better idea to buy some durable type of fabric and create your own top, then decorate. Some common fabrics used in swimwear are rather thin.
    I've found that the solid colours are more durable and thick than the printed spandex.
    Formerly known as ireneho

I think that swimtails offers some pretty neat mermaid tops that aren't bikini tops!
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

I have a similar problem. Overall, I feel like tankinis are the way to go, but if you have any other ideas I'd love to hear them.
    "The Mer in me, it's easy to see. Long golden tresses, a heart set free in the Sea."

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    I usually wear a t-shirt that matches with my tails. I know I'm a guy but I hate the thought of a nude merman. That how I personally feel if I'm not covering my chest. If takani doesn't work for you, become part of the t-shirt club. Plus with t-shirt you can print designs on a printer and use the iron on paper from Staples to iron the image onto the shirt to match with your tail.
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    I usually wear a t-shirt that matches with my tails. I know I'm a guy but I hate the thought of a nude merman. That how I personally feel if I'm not covering my chest. If takani doesn't work for you, become part of the t-shirt club. Plus with t-shirt you can print designs on a printer and use the iron on paper from Staples to iron the image onto the shirt to match with your tail.
    I actually love wearing normal human shirts with my full on mermaid looks. Its super cute. Especially if your shirt is like a graphic tee or something. I want a lifeguard-y rashguard to wear with my tail, I think it would be cute.

Its like surfer-mermaid chic

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Wesley View Post
    I actually love wearing normal human shirts with my full on mermaid looks. Its super cute. Especially if your shirt is like a graphic tee or something. I want a lifeguard-y rashguard to wear with my tail, I think it would be cute.

Its like surfer-mermaid chic
    Jessica Steele-Sanders, author of Rescue Sirens, wore her lifeguard tee with her tail at MerMania, and it was super cute!

I'm working on a sailor shirt with a big 'shark bite' taken out of the back, you know, somehting a mermaid would find...my head goes through the neck hole, and the arms tie around the back like a halter. Everything in front is well covered! Especially my belly!

A shirt would possibly (and most likely) not be allowed in a public pool, they gotta draw the line somewhere when it comes to rules. If a shirt or top is made of swimwear fabric and looks like it's made for swimming I think it will be allowed though.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Marriih View Post
    A shirt would possibly (and most likely) not be allowed in a public pool, they gotta draw the line somewhere when it comes to rules. If a shirt or top is made of swimwear fabric and looks like it's made for swimming I think it will be allowed though.
    That doesn't apply in the US so much. Many people swim in shirts. And if you are swimming in a mermaid tail, a shirt is going to be the last of the potential objections.

Really? That's nice. And I was thinking the same about the tail and shirt. x) Best thing would be to check with the pool you'd plan on going to though if you're not sure, especially regarding the tail and monofin swimming. But that's a different story.
    I hope mermaidnaia has an idea by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Marriih View Post
    My pool's rule is that people can wear clothing in the pool as their swimwear, as long as they have different street clothes. Being in Canada, we have many Muslim women who choose to wear leggings and long tops when swimming and many additional people choose to wear shirts or pants as their swimwear for other reasons.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by faithonthebass View Post
    My pool's rule is that people can wear clothing in the pool as their swimwear, as long as they have different street clothes. Being in Canada, we have many Muslim women who choose to wear leggings and long tops when swimming and many additional people choose to wear shirts or pants as their swimwear for other reasons.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
    I'm glad to hear that, I wish it were like that in all pools.