Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: LADIES deal with that time of the month in eco friendly style!

@Emma - I actually had the same thing happen once, my period was around 4 weeks and I went to the gyno and all she did was tell me I should be on birth control to regulate my period. I dunno how your body is set, but I was underweight at the time so that was one possibility of why it happened. When you're underweight or overweight sometimes your body can't keep a steady period, I think it has to do with the fact that your period is your body basically saying "okay you can have kids" so that's usually why periods are so unsteady. I mean, I'm just guessing on that so *shrug*
    But my gyno never actually said what the reason was nor acted like it was a huge deal. She just said "Oh go to a lab and get some bloodwork to make sure your red bloodcell count is normal" and then she gave me birth control and said that would make it steady.

Also wouldn't you feel the cup more than tampons? It seems very intrusive and noticeable compared to a cotton tampon that can probably bend and flex a lot easier.
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Follow Mermaid Melusinah On Twitter Add Mermaid Melusinah on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Melusinah's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanti View Post

Also wouldn't you feel the cup more than tampons? It seems very intrusive and noticeable compared to a cotton tampon that can probably bend and flex a lot easier.
    There is a bit of a learning curve with the cup. it was mostly for me keeping it folded for the insertion. other then that, it only took one cycle to get it. and when you take it out you just dump the blood into the toilet, wash it of with some hot water and mild soap (unscented dial is best) and rinse really well. Dry it and stick it back in. I DO recommend trying the smallest of tampons like Iona said. (very good idea) And no Kanti, I have never noticed mine in place once. Its silicone, so the flex is better then tampons if you ask me.

Maybe. I think I'd buy tampons just to train to use the cup.
    I mean I guess I'm not terrified of sticking crap up there it's just I'd prefer to not do it, so I probably would need to practice n stuff. The whole string of a tampon hanging out also sort of weirds me out. Nothing TERRIBLE it just seems hilarious and weird for there to be a string xD
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

I've actually used tampons since pretty much my first period. Admittedly, they were really weird the first time, but my mom told me all about it and said not to worry. I've never had a problem with tampons, and they were kind of my only option when I was younger. I was in so many different sports (including swimming) that it wasn't really a good idea to wear pads. Honestly, I really dislike the feeling of pads and no matter how thin they are, I always feel like people can tell I'm wearing one. XD

I can understand the feeling of discomfort or dislike about putting something inside of you, but you really do get used to it pretty quickly. If it helps, I suggest researching just how to use tampons or cups. I've found that the more you know, the less intimidating the whole process is. Getting to know your own body helps as well. I was scared of everything down below until one day I just decided I'd had enough. I pulled up some medical websites and learned what I could. It helped tremendously.

And I definitely agree about getting in to see a GYNO. And you definitely want a female. They'll understand what you're dealing with and (in my experience) will do everything they can to help take the mystery out of what's going on down below. :3
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    Mernetwork Moderator

I am currently underweight by three pounds (according to BMI but what does BMI know anyway) but I'm working on that. I still don't really know what I'll end up doing, but I really appreciate everything you guys are saying. It is making me feel a bit better. It's just that, like I said, it's currently literally like 5 drops or so and that doesn't seem worth a tampon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Lorelei View Post
    I've actually used tampons since pretty much my first period. Admittedly, they were really weird the first time, but my mom told me all about it and said not to worry. I've never had a problem with tampons, and they were kind of my only option when I was younger. I was in so many different sports (including swimming) that it wasn't really a good idea to wear pads. Honestly, I really dislike the feeling of pads and no matter how thin they are, I always feel like people can tell I'm wearing one. XD

I can understand the feeling of discomfort or dislike about putting something inside of you, but you really do get used to it pretty quickly. If it helps, I suggest researching just how to use tampons or cups. I've found that the more you know, the less intimidating the whole process is. Getting to know your own body helps as well. I was scared of everything down below until one day I just decided I'd had enough. I pulled up some medical websites and learned what I could. It helped tremendously.

And I definitely agree about getting in to see a GYNO. And you definitely want a female. They'll understand what you're dealing with and (in my experience) will do everything they can to help take the mystery out of what's going on down below. :3
    Urgg yea I'm seriously getting tired of pads but honestly they're just so convenient for me since I've never taken the time to practice with tampons so I never get to use them xD
    I am considering the cup a lot, though. It doesn't look that bad and it actually looks shorter than a tampon, it's just wider? I looked up some videos to see how to put it in and all that but I REALLY like the whole re-useable, cleanable, no stick, no absorb, etc. It just seems so much better in comparison to throwing out pads all the damn time.
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by MerEmma View Post
    I am currently underweight by three pounds (according to BMI but what does BMI know anyway) but I'm working on that. I still don't really know what I'll end up doing, but I really appreciate everything you guys are saying. It is making me feel a bit better. It's just that, like I said, it's currently literally like 5 drops or so and that doesn't seem worth a tampon.
    Maybe that's why then? From a biological standpoint, underweight animals usually stop being able to produce steadily because their body is evaluating that you're too malnourished to care for a child. So I think that's why the period starts up randomly.
    Haha and I think I know what the BMI is? Isn't it a questionaire basically? So I'm sure you can't expect it to be very accurate xD

But anyhow I'd say just stick with whatevers comfortable, but try out new things! You might discover the thing you thought was scary actually isnt so bad when you put it in comfortably and give it time to get used to. I still use pads to this day and I need to upgrade to something else imo. It is scary to put stuff up there, though, so I mean it's just a matter of practicing when you're OFF your period so you don't have to be put into a stressful situation of "oh sh*t I have to get used to this in 5 hours" or something.
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Never practice when you're not on your period! All you'll end up doing is hurting yourself. Tampons are meant to be used on a period only! If you need to practice, choose a time when you have a lot of free time to get comfortable. Being in a rush never helps. If you find you still don't like them after giving them a chance, then just go back to pads.

Mernetwork Moderator

Whoops! Sorry I take it back then xD
    I clearly don't know much in this area haha
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Haha, you're fine Kanti. I just didn't want someone getting hurt. :3

And yeah, after 9 years of periods, you tend to know a bit about it. XD

Mernetwork Moderator

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod ShyMer's Avatar
    you know, if you're only getting a few drops every once in a while (after a regular flow), that might be considered spotting, which isn't all that unusual. if you make sure you shower off before you get in the pool (which is good idea anyway) this might not even be something you need to worry about. you still wanna keep track of it, as it can indicate that something's wrong, but it's probably normal

For the last time around it was definitely just spitting but this time it's a tad bit heavier, but nothing like the first two periods. =P

BMI = Body Mass Index. It's like...I want to say the FDA but some big organization's way of telling you what weight is healthy for your body based on age and height. It's known for being somewhat innaccurate because muscle is heavy like fat.

It can take a good year or so for your body to do 'regular' flows, so not to worry about spotting and stuff in the beginning
    I personally cannot survive without tampons- but I couldn't get them in until I was about 16 XD I couldnt physically do it. Now, I only wear them. I dont bleed at night, so I dont have to worry about wearing them all the time, though. And since being on the pill my period is light and predictable. Horray for predictable periods! haha!

Senior Member Pod of The South Blondie's Avatar
    Another thing I'd like to add about tampons.

It really is a mental thing when you put them in. The key is to relax. The more you relax, the more lose your muscles are. It doesn't hurt at all when you just calm down and breathe. But if you panic when you do it, you're going to meet resistance. Not to say that will hurt so bad. It doesn't it's just not something you'd like to feel all the time. It's kinda like dropping something light on your foot :P Doesn't hurt but doesn't feel good.

Just got the size 1 diva cup today! trying to figure it out... i know it'll take a bit before i can get it in correctly first try, but for some reason I'm having trouble getting it all the way. The base keeps settling just inside the opening with the stem hanging out. I can't get it to rotate and any time i try pushing it in farther it just sides back to where it was. I'm puzzled. Perhaps i just have a low cervix? Any tips would be lovely, ladies. I'm having trouble finding help online.

Something enter that i found through researching solutions- how about cup use for individuals with an in tact hymen?

I've found that my cup sits several ways depending on the day. Some days it sits low, and the stem hangs out, some days it sits high. I'm still a virgin, but I've used tampons so my hymen may or may not be intact, I'm honestly not sure about that question with it. It also might be "releasing" and unfolding a bit too soon, thus suctioning low and not moving up. If you can break the suction before trying to move it up it might help, or if you make it release a bit later.

Some things to think about: are you tensing your muscles? That can make the cup hard to get in and make it sit low. It really took me a while to figure out when I was tensing my muscles and how to forcibly relax them. It's sort of like if you were trying to pee really hard and fast. It was recommended to me to (and yes, I know this sounds gross) stick my finger "up there" and flex a few times so I could feel when I was tense and when I was relaxed, but I was able to figure it out without that. It might help to look up Kegel exercises (as awkward as that is).

Also, a lot of people trim the stem on their cups. They're made long so you can grab 'em for removal. I know people who trim theirs completely off (which begs the question: how the heck do they get it out?) and I've trimmed mine a bit when they've bugged me.

Hope this helps!

www.thalassamermaid.com
    Explore the S.E.A. with me!
    Facebook

Senior Member Pod of Cali Usagi's Avatar
    Idk if this has been posted already, but here's a nice little video... xD
    http://jezebel.com/5980503/mad-flow-...cup-rap-battle
    Thalassa, I was just about to ask about the virgin thing! lol
    My issue is that my mom won't buy me one because she thinks they're gross and doesn't want to wash her hands in the sink where someone has washed a cup. Wtf?
    Also...I'm 18...and I haven't seen a doctor since I was 12 (aside from the occasional ear infection and such). But talking to people makes me really nervous and hot. I don't even like talking to strangers on the phone or asking for help at a store. So I don't want to make an appt and my mom keeps forgetting. And she wants to go with me! like Wtf, mother, go away! I don't want her to see what I put on the forms. I'm an EXTREMELY private person, even about unimportant stuff.

BEWARE, SUPER TMI MOMENT:
    I'm pretty sure I have some sort of infection like a yeast infection or bacterial vagiwhatever. It wasn't until recently that I realized something was off (involving discharge), but it's been that way since I was about 14. I feel like if I have to get medicine for it, my mom is going to think I'm having sex with my boyfriend (which, at 18, really isn't anyone else's business. And we've been together for two years.) and then my parents will try to have a tighter reign on me! I mean we haven't even had sex, but my parents still don't trust me! eodnsjsisbej
    Do you want this anemone to sting you?
    ......yes!

Thalassa- thank you, you helped me figure it out. I find that if i tried twisting it before it was in all the way, it unfolded just fine. I do have trouble with testing up involuntarily. I'll keep your advice in mind.

Syd- what's the deal with your mom? It makes her sound really insensitive :/ Anyway, what does she do when someone gets blood on their other laundry by accident? Cause it's the same thing. I don't think most people realize that.
    also, i feel like pads and tampons are more gross than cups. with pads, you're sitting on it the whole time, whereas cups only have to be emptied out a couple times a day. Maybe she's squeamish about blood or ashamed of menstruation?

also your mom needs to realize that it's okay to care about your wellbeing, but she needs to give you some privacy for things like doctor visits. My mom was the same way.

Senior Member Pod of The South Blondie's Avatar
    Try drinking cranberry juice. It's supposed to help flush infections away.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    you cervix sits higher or lower depending on your hormones and where you are in your cycle.

As for it being a mental thing for tampons, I can totally agree. I have a disease which causes pelvic floor spasmimg. (imagine feeling a charlie horse type pain, down "there" and the constant feeling of your worst cramps!) part of my illness makes all those muscles spastic and harder to relax, and even I can do it

The only time tampons really could be a problem is if you're someone who is prone to yeast infections- as they can prolong it, and worsen symptoms. Many ladies can get them even without symptoms, and because we're in water all the time and maybe sitting around in wet tails we can be at a higher risk.