Thread: Stretching Finis Foil foot pockets?

Stretching Finis Foil foot pockets?

Today I finally got my Finis Foil monofin, however, despite my toes being barely visible (that's how small my feet are) the foot pockets are so narrow that I can't imagine swimming comfortably in this fin.
    Unfortunately I have bunions because of a medical condition, which gets worse from too narrow shoes or, in this case, foot pockets. So it is not a matter of just getting used to a narrow fit.
    Has anyone tried stretching the part that covers the feet or does anyone know if it will work at all?

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Just wear them in around the house, the same way you would a new pair of shoes.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Thank you for your reply, Jaffa. Would wearing the monofin actually stretch the footpockets to fit better? That would be good news. Last time someone mentioned it, I thought they meant it would get their feet used to the foot pockets.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    You could try wearing in a hot bath to help stretch the foot pockets. When I got mine, I just wore it whilst I was on the computer or lounging on the sofa.
    Formerly known as ireneho

I'd have to fill some plastic box with hot water. x)
    I'm still trying to stretch the pockets by putting things in them so I won't have to strain my feet. I just tried the fin on and maybe it's that I'm wearing socks, but putting it on was easier (while my socks are thick). It still hurts though. I might actually try the hot water method if this doesn't work well enough.

Junior Member North Pacific Pod Shell Bell's Avatar
    Add Shell Bell on Facebook
    I had a pair of plastic sandals that I stretched a little by heating them up with a hair dryer while I was wearing them (plus lots of foot wiggling to stretch them!). I have no idea if this would work for the Foil, and definitely be careful with it! The plastic gets pretty hot.

Of course! Thanks for the tip Shell Bell! I might actually try that although last time I used a hair dryer for such a purpose, it overheated and broke. I'll have to be a bit more careful next time.
    I'll give my current method of stuffing the foot pockets with hard things a few more days. Maybe the combination of that and the hair dryer would work better though.

Not sure it would work with rubber, but I read about a way to stretch tight shoes by putting a bag of water inside the shoe, then freezing them. The water expands a bit as it freezes. Though rubber gets less flexible with cold so maybe that wouldn't work.
    Beautiful beaded tops and silicone fins and flukes for enhancing your tail at my Etsy shop: Fancy Fish Fashions!
    Follow me on Facebook

Probably not, but thanks for letting me know anyway.

Just tried on the Foil without socks and it does seem to fit a little better. It still hurts though. But it's something.
    Last edited by Marriih; 03-18-2017 at 05:20 AM.

I had to stretch the right foot pocket more, it seemd more narrow than the left one. Now the Foil is at the point at which I believe I can swim in it. I will, however, have to coat the ankle straps with some fabric since the latex socks I ordered are just... not for my feet.
    But yeah it's working!

Update: IT FITS. After a week of stretching, the foot pockets are now just the right size.

The method of stretching has been confirmed to be effective.