Thread: Stiffer silicone instead of monofin?

Stiffer silicone instead of monofin?

Had anyone experimented with using a stiffer silicone for the fluke instead of using a monofin? Or does the stiffness available still not create a stiff enough finish to propel you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of The South
    I believe this is how Mike Van Daal made his finless tails, but I also heard that they give no propulsion whatsoever. They look amazing in a tank and up close and such, but I dont think theyre super practical for actual swimming. Especially in a deep or open water scenario.
    ~Merman Rett Of Georgia~

(Formerly Known as Risingmermaid)

And I'm even thinking the out layers being the dragon skin silicone, but having the inside an even stiffer (non dragon skin like a shore hardness 60 used for stiffer molds type of silicone. I'm not 100% sure on the logistics of they would stick to each other, but I think a shore 60 hardness is considerably stiff compared to what you normally use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Mertailor has also just released tails like that.
    As for the different hardness silicones sticking too each other - as long as they are both platinum cure silicones there shouldn't be any problem.
    Mermaids - not so graceful on land...
    Luna Dreamtide
    (Formerly Leina)

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Its a pipe dream of mine for sure. Unfortunately, Dragonskin doesnt come in a hard enough shore and I wouldn't really know where to start with other brands.... Also, footpockets seem TRICKY. But SOMEDAY. ;-;

Smooth On customer service is awesome. You can always call them up to see if the different platinum cure silicones will stick together. I'd be willing to bet they do.
    You might also consider experimenting with their urethanes, too. I've heard they're tougher (and potentially more dangerous) to work with, though. Thom Shouse makes his tails out of urethane.
    Beautiful beaded tops and silicone fins and flukes for enhancing your tail at my Etsy shop: Fancy Fish Fashions!
    Follow me on Facebook

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Fish View Post
    Smooth On customer service is awesome. You can always call them up to see if the different platinum cure silicones will stick together. I'd be willing to bet they do.
    You might also consider experimenting with their urethanes, too. I've heard they're tougher (and potentially more dangerous) to work with, though. Thom Shouse makes his tails out of urethane.
    Yeah! Thom's tails have monofins, but the rubber is harder.