Thread: Jewelry to Swim In

Question Jewelry to Swim In

Hi everyone! I'm sorry if this has been addressed somewhere already. I looked as hard as I could.

Are there any certain jewelry materials that should be avoided when making mermaid jewelry for swimming in the water whether it be ocean or chlorine? I know I'm going to use as much of just fishing line/netting/fake plants/resin shells as possible, but sometimes, a good chain or gem would really help complete a look. Thanks for any tips!!
    Just keep swimming...

Senior Member Pod of The South Rebela Hunter's Avatar
    Metals rust in water and chlorine can damage some metals, but almost always fixable
    Just don't wear anything that weighs you down too much to float / swim, such as heavy scalemail / chainmail !
    As far as I know, gems and stuff works great !!!

Good luck on your adventures !
    'And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' - Matthew 4:19 (KJV)

Hobbyist Mermaid & Orca Enthusiast
    DeviantART || Facebook || Instagram

I'd say stick to fabric and other soft materials as much as possible, plastic should be fine too.
    As for gems, I was wondering earlier today whether quartz will be affected by chlorinated water or not. I am however sure that not all gems should be put in water at all, especially not in chlorinated or salt water. If you're going with gems, do your research into the specific types.

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid Saoirse's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Saoirse on Facebook
    Follow Mermaid Saoirse on Tumblr
    My best recommendation would be stainless steel if you're looking for a metal to use! I use it with all of my everyday as well as mermaid jewelry. As long as you rinse it well and leave it to dry in an open space after every swim you shouldn't encounter any major problems.
    Large lengths of stainless steel chain are easy to get on Amazon.
    Swarovski crystals are even used by Mermaid Raven in a lot of her Merbellas gear, and I've used them too. They work great and look amazing in photos.
    Good luck in your endeavors! Never be afraid to experiment with different materials. You'd be surprises to see what you can get away with using in the water, even in chlorinated pools!
    Happy swimming~
    Saoirse (Seer-sha) means "freedom" in Gaelic, which is what I feel below the surface. I'm a freshwater mermaid.
    Empress of the Strid Empire Pod

Quote Originally Posted by Marriih View Post
    I'd say stick to fabric and other soft materials as much as possible, plastic should be fine too.
    As for gems, I was wondering earlier today whether quartz will be affected by chlorinated water or not. I am however sure that not all gems should be put in water at all, especially not in chlorinated or salt water. If you're going with gems, do your research into the specific types.
    If anything, I'm'm totally ok with plastic "gems", too. It's all about the look in the end. No one is going to go... but is that a REAL ruby?! rofl

Thanks so much for the tips, gals! This will help a lot!
    Just keep swimming...

http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...s+safe+jewelry

Hi I just noticed your post. I've been gone for a long time, and just recently back on the forum. I wrote this info about what metals are ok for mer jewelry some time ago. Hope it helps!
    I am the color of the setting sun upon the ocean.
    I am the sound of the breaking wave and the waterfall.
    My sisters are the foam upon the sea.
    - Mermaid Mardöll

Quote Originally Posted by Rebela Hunter View Post
    Metals rust in water and chlorine can damage some metals, but almost always fixable
    Just don't wear anything that weighs you down too much to float / swim, such as heavy scalemail / chainmail !
    As far as I know, gems and stuff works great !!!

Good luck on your adventures !
    I successfully swam in custom scale maille armor at Mermainia 2017. It is made with bronze rings an anodized aluminium scales. It wad not too heavy. I actually needed extra weight to stay down long enough for photos.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Curls View Post
    I successfully swam in custom scale maille armor at Mermainia 2017. It is made with bronze rings an anodized aluminium scales. It wad not too heavy. I actually needed extra weight to stay down long enough for photos.

I KNEW somebody had to have done it! The aluminum is pretty much like plastic. So much so, that up to this point, I didn't like it. But it seems perfect for mermaiding. I'm planning on making one. How did the bronze rings do? I'm probably just going to use aluminum rings too, but wondered about the weight and strength. Since the weave is so open, I wonder if even stainless, just for the rings, might work? But honestly, if the bronze doesn't corrode, that would be cheaper and easier to work with. Thanks for commenting on this!

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

The bronze was fine. It will naturally patina. I just made sure to rinse it well and clean it. The bronze is also strong. Stainless will be very strong, but will add more weight.

Awesome. Still, I wonder of the weight of the stainless would be too much, or just enough. I already know I will need weight added, so I can sink. I can't even get to the bottom of a 10 foot pool, just diving.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusauriel View Post
    Awesome. Still, I wonder of the weight of the stainless would be too much, or just enough. I already know I will need weight added, so I can sink. I can't even get to the bottom of a 10 foot pool, just diving.

What you see in my avatar was not enough for me to sink. I am looking into ways to add weight so I can sink enough for photos.

I'm going to have to look at your pic from my laptop. Hard to see on my phone. Looks gorgeous though.

Hello there. Talking about jewelry to swim in, I can say that if your jewellery is made with precious metals (silver/gold variants) and copper, brass and most semi-precious stones it's generally ok! Many people including me do this. By the way if you are interested in buying gold cross, this post https://www.mrsshilts.co.uk/the-magi...and-religious/ will be interesting for you.

Good day. Whether you prefer subtle, minimalist jewelry or bold, statement pieces, Artizan Joyeria has something to suit every taste. The brand offers a variety of options including necklaces, earrings, bracelets, and more. Their range of products can surprise almost any fashionista, and every buyer will find something unique for themselves. And if you need any advice, an artizan joyeria customer service employee will be happy to provide it and kindly answer all customer questions.