Thread: Does anyone know the name for a male siren?

Senior Member Pod of New England MermanJamie's Avatar

Does anyone know the name for a male siren?

The reason why I was drawn back to the merfolk community was through my competitive swimming and singing. I noticed how my voice was like that of a siren, especially when I'm singing songs related to the ocean. But I can't be a siren, because I'm a guy. Is there a separate word? If I constantly just say male siren, it would sound weird. I'm pretty sure that such a thing could exist, similar to the whole succubus vs incubus thing. One is female, and responsible for hypnotizing males, and one is male, and is responsible for hypnotizing females. But what would the name for a male siren be? Does anyone know?

Senior Member Pod of The South Rebela Hunter's Avatar
    Hello!

As far as I can tell, a Triton is the equivalent of a Siren, according to mythology. Ariel's dad is named Triton, but he himself doesn't really exist in mythology as a single being.

Hope this helps!
    <3
    'And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' - Matthew 4:19 (KJV)

Hobbyist Mermaid & Orca Enthusiast
    DeviantART || Facebook || Instagram

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I did a little research on all the forms of mermen in culture you might find interesting! http://rainamermaid.weebly.com/blog/rise-of-the-mermen

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    I mean the original sirens were birdy, but I mean you could always make your own name up.

There is no male equivalent of a siren as far as I know��
    Sirens are pure femininity��

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    Wikipedia has this odd line:

"Originally, Sirens were shown to be male or female, but the male Siren disappeared from art around fifth century BC."

Which would seem to indicate a male Siren can be called a Siren.

Also, see https://www.quora.com/Are-there-male-sirens-in-mythology
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

I feel like sirens just attract you with whatever you desire. For me they would probably sing about food.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebela Hunter View Post
    Snip
    I am going to give a little bit of a correction here. My Greek Mythology lover is dying inside, haha. Triton does exist in mythology. He is the son of Poseidon and Amphitrite. You can read about him here:

[ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triton_(mythology) ]

In later sources, Triton was the father of Tritons, which were a race of merfolk-like creatures of both men and woman. So while it's still cool to say that mermen can be called, "Tritons," to say that "Triton doesn't exist," in mythology isn't factual. ♥ Bonus: This is why there's a fan theory that Hercules and Ariel are cousins exists!

On topic: Siren -- while adopted by the mer-community -- initially started off as bird creatures (as some others have pointed out). It is believed that early Corinthian vases ( https://www.colorado.edu/classics/20...hian-aryballos ) were painted with both male and female sirens, but all depictions of sirens turned female by the fifth century BCE. I believe Homer didn't actually describe them gendered, at all, but that it ran that way in later depictions. Some others in this thread have given good suggestions as to what you can call "mersona." However, remember that it's 2018! And we're making progress towards being gender/term inclusive. If you feel like you want to identify as a siren? Doo ittt. ♥
    I can still find dawn,
    Upon the days horizon,
    And I can find the stars,
    So my night is ever brightened.
    T U M B L R I N S T A G R A M F A C E B O O K

Pod of New England
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel
    Calder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

Lakien

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app
    <3 Mermaid Lilac <3

Quote Originally Posted by MermanJamie View Post
    The reason why I was drawn back to the merfolk community was through my competitive swimming and singing. I noticed how my voice was like that of a siren, especially when I'm singing songs related to the ocean. But I can't be a siren, because I'm a guy. Is there a separate word? If I constantly just say male siren, it would sound weird. I'm pretty sure that such a thing could exist, similar to the whole succubus vs incubus thing. One is female, and responsible for hypnotizing males, and one is male, and is responsible for hypnotizing females. But what would the name for a male siren be? Does anyone know?
    Sirens is a gender neutral term, depicting a creature with a combination of human, bird and fish features. Both male and female sirens were depicted right up until the fifth century. It was at this point male sirens disappeared from art and literature. Because of this change the word Siren has become synonymous with females despite being correct for both males and females. I hope this helped.

Hi, Triton's are similar to sirens but without their alluring singing abilities. They are also gender neutral creatures, who were merefolk but also gods/goddesses. Hope this helped

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitseamore View Post
    Sirens is a gender neutral term, depicting a creature with a combination of human, bird and fish features. Both male and female sirens were depicted right up until the fifth century. It was at this point male sirens disappeared from art and literature. Because of this change the word Siren has become synonymous with females despite being correct for both males and females. I hope this helped.
    okay...before this notion gets spread any further.

The very term "siren" (seiren/es, sirena, etc) is female in the languages which differentiate sexes.
    The original sirens, water nymphs, were a fixed number, namely 3. And all of those were female.
    There was no whole species named siren, just as there are many creatures in greek mythology which are a set (often low) number.
    Likewise, there are many creatures which do NOT have several genders. Harpies, Gorgons, Undines etc.
    All nymphs are female, thus also are nereides whereas the male ones would be tritons.

As to the claim that male sirens were depicted up until 500 BC, apart from that one sentence from wikipedia, I could not find any source to verify this claim. The link to the vases which apparently show these ominous male sirens leads to an empty page.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Kwilena's Avatar
    Add Kwilena on Google+
    https://www.theoi.com/Thaumasios/Tritones.html might be of interest and these galleries, if you search around a bit there's a bunch of sirens and sea and water related beings. https://www.theoi.com/Galleries.html I love theoi project, I can get happily lost in there for hours! But back to the original question, one way around it might be to just put 'o' at the end of Siren if the op feels funny about using just the word siren.
    Well, I'm feeling pretty swish!

Pod of New England
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel
    There are good sites for named

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus