Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First attempt at mermaid-like make up

Senior Member Pod of The South Blondie's Avatar

First attempt at mermaid-like make up

Well... I TRIED! Hahaha!!

I found out it's better to work with a a paint or cream shadow when trying to do the fishnet scales on your skin. Here it didn't really work out so I just took a brush and blended it. It's Aquamarine/Thirtieth Year inspired. I can't take very good pictures of myself >< But since I spent sometime on this, I thought I'd share xD

With Flash

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    looks cute!!!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Chesapeake Pod
    Might I say that you have the most beautiful eyes! And the make-up is very nice
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

still looks cool. the colors were blended well!
    come find Mermaid-Odette on facebook!
    my website is here
    instagram

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/KahWlYkRbiGo8" width="480" height="360" frameborder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>via GIPHY

Thank you Raina and Aqua :3 and Odette! Yes I had to blend them like a mad woman. After I pulled off the fishnet hat I made, I realized that laying eyeshadows doesn't work too well..

Still looks cool though. I use actors paint. Works well for a base coat to put scales on top of
    Hugs, fishes, and mermaid kisses!

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Stone View Post
    Still looks cool though. I use actors paint. Works well for a base coat to put scales on top of
    >< That's exactly what I need to get. Thank you!

I like the color blend. I think it works well, even if it doesn't look like scales. :>
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    Mernetwork Moderator

I'll have to update it with scales with scales sometime later on

That looks great! Good job
    There lays a lovely maiden combing her long hair

You look very cute! and it's a brilliant first go! Love the mermaid-glow If for some reason you're unable to pick up face paint or cream base, if you stipple/press the powder on with a sponge you'll get a more defined look - if that's what you're after. If the powder is sheer or poorly pigmented, if you lightly mist the area with water before stippling it will help the powder grab on.

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    You look very cute! and it's a brilliant first go! Love the mermaid-glow If for some reason you're unable to pick up face paint or cream base, if you stipple/press the powder on with a sponge you'll get a more defined look - if that's what you're after. If the powder is sheer or poorly pigmented, if you lightly mist the area with water before stippling it will help the powder grab on.
    I'll try that ^^ I have cream based eyeshadows O_o Just don't know why I didn't use them. -Brainfart-

Also, if you are wearing unset liquid/cream foundation underneath, powder eyeshadows will stick to the foundation and stay better, kinda acting like the setting powder That's what I've been doing with mine, though cream is probably easier xD

It looks good though! You certainly have the mermaid glow
    Mermaid Jewel

that looks totally awesome!! idk if you already know this...i'm betting you probably do....but fishnets are PERFECT for creating scales on makeup. just cut a workable piece and ou can hold it stretched to whatever size scales you're after and use a shimmer pigment and voila.

wow. sorry, i'm dumb. somehow i read everything EXCEPT that you attempted the fishnet. if you get you're skinny kind of tacky first...with a primer like urban decay, or even the vsoline trick...the pigments with stick easier. also even try tape if one handed coordination is your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyna View Post
    wow. sorry, i'm dumb. somehow i read everything EXCEPT that you attempted the fishnet. if you get you're skinny kind of tacky first...with a primer like urban decay, or even the vsoline trick...the pigments with stick easier. also even try tape if one handed coordination is your problem.
    Yeah I'll have to tape it next time. And I should of used a better primer or a cream shadow. Didn't even cross my mind haha!

Also if you want a cheap fix and just an idea....instead of applying powder, cream, jelly or anything that might make you break out and just need something to hold it. Take some hairspray (preferably areosole) and spray lightly on the area that you are applying powder over fishnets. the spray makes a sticky residue on your skin and holds the powder in place. PURELY ACCIDENTAL experiement on my part lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mer_Tory89 View Post
    Also if you want a cheap fix and just an idea....instead of applying powder, cream, jelly or anything that might make you break out and just need something to hold it. Take some hairspray (preferably areosole) and spray lightly on the area that you are applying powder over fishnets. the spray makes a sticky residue on your skin and holds the powder in place. PURELY ACCIDENTAL experiement on my part lol
    I would of never thought of that Thanks Tory!

Could do it more like this... useing fish scales and a certain kind of fruit netting
    Name:  nerine.JPG
Views: 494
Size:  29.8 KB

That looks really nice iblondie, and I think you could learn something from nerine's to make it even better

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.

Find me on YouTube! -->
    http://www.youtube.com/user/mermaidg...e=results_main

[Because legs are too complicated]