Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hybrid Neoprene and Caulking Silicone Tail for Merling

Hybrid Neoprene and Caulking Silicone Tail for Merling

First of all: 1000th post!!

Now - I'm about to begin a new tail making project and thought I'd post it here to share everything I learn. This forum has always been so helpful when looking for information so I'm happy to help add to it if I can!

I'm making a new tail for my little sister - hybrid tail fashion. I've only made fabric tails so far so this should be interesting. I'm trying to get it done in a short amount of time too. I'll be using caulking silicone and up cycled second-hand wetsuits for the base.

I'll post my design sketch soon.
    Mermaids - not so graceful on land...
    Luna Dreamtide
    (Formerly Leina)

Senior Member Euro Pod
    That's awesome! I have a question, a lot of mers stress how important it is to wear a gas mask when working with caulk in a poorly ventilated area. But I will be working outside, so is the mask still necessary then? My dad said it is not but I do not have experience with this so I was wondering what your thoughts are on this

Quote Originally Posted by mermaidrobynn View Post
    That's awesome! I have a question, a lot of mers stress how important it is to wear a gas mask when working with caulk in a poorly ventilated area. But I will be working outside, so is the mask still necessary then? My dad said it is not but I do not have experience with this so I was wondering what your thoughts are on this
    From the other mers I've talked to, it seems wearing a mask is still a good idea. Because even if you're outside (as I will be), you will still be working in close proximity to the product and it does have a fairly strong smell. Better safe than sorry is always the way I think!
    Luna Dreamtide
    (Formerly Leina)

Senior Member Pod of the Midwest mermaid mazu's Avatar
    This is how I make tails. As long as you are well ventilated then there shouldn't be a need for a mask. It stinks and can burn your nose or eyes if you are closed in but that won't be an issue outdoors.

I worked outside on my tail and I would still advise wearing a mask because the fumes were really bad even outside because you have to be pretty close to it (or maybe it's just me since I am near sighted, live very near sighted) and also depending on pigments you use if you use what I used glitter will be in the air everywhere. I was sneezing glitter for a few days it was that bad.

Senior Member Euro Pod
    Thanks for all the replies I'll see if I can score a decently priced mask somewhere (bc damn they're expensive)

Thanks for all the tips!
    @mermaidrobyynn you could always get disposable ones as compared to an expensive respirator. I've used disposable ones with filters like a respirator that work pretty well.

@Mermaid Momo how much pigment did you use on yours?
    Luna Dreamtide
    (Formerly Leina)

Here's a little sketch of what I'm thinking. I haven't decided on whether to do the dorsal or not yet. I was thinking it might help hide the zipper like the Mako Mermaids' tails. Happy to hear any thoughts!

Name:  17493207_1323358881074939_2609548597849801218_o.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  181.9 KB
    Luna Dreamtide
    (Formerly Leina)

That is very pretty!

Love the colors! Can't wait to see progress on this tail!!!

Name:  IMG_2794.JPG
Views: 433
Size:  58.2 KB

These are the pigments I bought. Pretty small jars so I've no idea how far they'll go but i guess I'll find out!
    Luna Dreamtide
    (Formerly Leina)

Senior Member Euro Pod
    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Dreamtide View Post
    Name:  IMG_2794.JPG
Views: 433

These are the pigments I bought. Pretty small jars so I've no idea how far they'll go but i guess I'll find out!
    Currently using pearlex and it didn't even take 1/4 of a jar to colour my entire base for the fluke so it'llprobably be fine

How do you apply these?

Quote Originally Posted by mermaidrobynn View Post
    Currently using pearlex and it didn't even take 1/4 of a jar to colour my entire base for the fluke so it'llprobably be fine
    Good to know. Should be alright then. My sister is only 12 and very small so it won't be a big tail!

@mermaid mazu I've seen a few different ways but I will be brushing my pigment on when the silicone is tacky. I've heard from others who've made similar tails that brushing off any excess pigment that didn't stick once the silicone sets is good because it can prevent the next layer from sticking properly.
    Luna Dreamtide
    (Formerly Leina)

Took a trip back home for a bit but I'm back and ready to get to work on this tail. Still hoping to have it finished by the end of the month for my sister's birthday - April 30th. I've begun pinning the neoprene and bought some nice sturdy needles for my sewing machine. It's only 2mm neoprene so it shouldn't have too much trouble.

Name:  IMG_2907.JPG
Views: 399
Size:  81.1 KB
    I bought these two wetsuits second hand and these will become the tail's base. I also trimmed lil' sis's Mahina fin today. i wanted to go for a different shape and a slightly smaller fluke because the Mahina has alway looked massive on her - she's quite small.

Name:  IMG_2906.JPG
Views: 403
Size:  89.8 KB
    Luna Dreamtide
    (Formerly Leina)

Add Celaeno on Facebook
    I like how you trimmed the mahina! It's super cute!

@Celaneno thanks! I really like how it turned out.

Onto pinning neoprene now. I just made a body form of little sis this morning.
    Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 425
    Super keen to get into making this tail. I've been wanting to try something like this for ages!
    Luna Dreamtide
    (Formerly Leina)

Senior Member Euro Pod
    Goodluck!! I'll be stalking your progress lol

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Cute! I love the colors!

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Union of Pods of the North
    I'm really excited to see updates! Its going to look gorgeous!!
    Also I was wondering if you know what kinds of silicone caulking is safe for skin?