Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sculpting on a Mahina Merfin?

Sculpting on a Mahina Merfin?

I searched around the forums and can't seem to find anyone else who's asked this (maybe there's an old thread I missed?) but I was wondering on advice for using a mahina in a silicone tail. The mahina is my favorite monofin and I want to use it in my tail but I'm concerned that because it gets wider up the sides it will be hard to sculpt for. Advice?
    Owner/Operator behind Tails & Portholes
    Store Blog
    - Personal Blog - Twitter - Instagram - Store Facebook
    This treasure cums for YOUR booty

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I understand from several people who made their own tails, a long with tail makers, that Mahina has been approaching people and asking them to discontinue making tails using her fin. I am not 100% sure why, I think it has something to do with safety implications. But I know all the major tail makers stopped using her fins, and I heard from friends who used them in their personal tails- the same thing.

Senior Member Pod of The South
    I plan to use the mahina in my tail and was a little concerned about this as well. I figure that as long as you sculp the fluke to go wider than the mahina fin (say an inch or two) it wont be too big of an issue. I actually think that the added dimension of it growing thicker in the middle of the flule towards the top can add quite the realistic touch.

Wow, I hadn't heard about that. I wonder why? I don't see it being a safety hazard any more than other monofins. Thats strange.
    ~Merman Rett Of Georgia~

(Formerly Known as Risingmermaid)

I hadn't heard that either. It is strange. I don't plan on selling tails and the fin will need to be modified so it won't be recognizable really once in the silicone.

I guess I'm just gonna have to wing it. Hmmm

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
    Store Blog

Senior Member Pod of Texas Merman Lir's Avatar
    I would assume that if Mahina is asking people not to use the merfin, my first thought would be competition. The merfin has a distinctive shape that is really hard to disquise. I've never seen a silicone tail using a merfin that wasn't instantly clockable. it dillutes their brand. Also, i think they have some cooperative deals with some fabric tail makers.

beyond the thickness at the sides of the mahina, it is rubber which is a cure inhibitor for silicone. So enclosing it is problematic, you'd have to make the tail without allowing contact between silicone and rubber until after the silicone is cured.
    Formerly known as Chris Edwards

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Lir View Post
    I would assume that if Mahina is asking people not to use the merfin, my first thought would be competition. The merfin has a distinctive shape that is really hard to disquise. I've never seen a silicone tail using a merfin that wasn't instantly clockable. it dillutes their brand. Also, i think they have some cooperative deals with some fabric tail makers.

beyond the thickness at the sides of the mahina, it is rubber which is a cure inhibitor for silicone. So enclosing it is problematic, you'd have to make the tail without allowing contact between silicone and rubber until after the silicone is cured.
    Yea I plan on wrapping it in celophane and pulling that out later.

If that's the issue, I do plan on modifying the shape so hopefully it won't be noticeable at all, if it goes according to plan.

Store Blog

I use a Merfin, too. I absolutely love it and think it does the best job of looking "natural", hiding heels and feet, of any monofin. I was browsing the Mahina site a couple weeks ago and was rather sad to see this on the Gypsea edition Merfin (none of the other adult merfins have this note - it's just this colorway)

https://www.mahinamermaid.com/collec...gypsea-merfins
    PLEASE NOTE: Mahina Mermaid products are NOT to be used in conjunction with any other products that are not issued by Mahina Mermaid.

Specifically MerFins are NOT to be used inside any full length leg enclosed mermaid tails.

Mahina recommends that full length leg enclosed mermaid tail costumes should only be used by certified professionally trained water persons, who are 18 years and older.

Granted, I think they've had the "leg-enclosed costumes not recommended" disclaimer up for-ev-er, and I would imagine that's for very logical liability reasons. But to be actively contacting people and saying "stop using our fin"? Well... why? How far can they even go with that?

It would be like Honda contacting people who were putting aftermarket parts onto their vehicles and saying "stahp!"

Me, putting "you can only use my products in conjunction with each other!!" on every single one of my shop listings.

Um, yeah. Have fun with that.

But really, if it's just something to do with safety, aren't they protecting themselves from any legal backlash by having those disclaimers up? Why would they need to pursue people any more than that? If it has to do with copyright, I'd like to see what "Mahina issued product" anyone is infringing on by putting their time and effort into a handmade work of art that is unique. If it's diluting the branding, hhmmmaybe. (Most people like the reshape the fluke, sooo...) But wasn't there another cheaper monofin recently introduced that looked A LOT like the Mahina's size/shape? What happened with that? I want to say it was from a fabric tail brand. Honestly can't remember.

Yes, I can definitely see big tail making companies not working with these monofins, if they are being purchased and resold in tails it would only be a matter of time before Mahina caught on and at the very least denied orders from the company using their fins, thus making the fluke molds and time developing tails with Merfins a total waste.

But if they are actually hunting people down for swimming as realistic mermaids in their fins, I'm sad. If were to ever have a "real" tail, I'd certainly hope to use the Merfin, knowing full well that my 'warranty was void' once I started doing modifications to it.

Other notes:
    - Was anyone else disturbed by the fact that the Gypsea colored fin is just photoshopped stock pics of their original colors? There are no real photos of it.
    - They don't even offer printed Mermaid leggings in adult sizes... Actually, if we're not allowed to use these in conjunction with ANY other non-Mahina products... WE MUST SWIM NAKED. No swimsuits. No goggles. (No scuba socks?? Owwie... those fins are known to cause blisters... well, I guess if it's FOR SAFETY... sure, Mahina!)

So basically we can start posting in the nude with their fins, spamming their hashtags... see how they like that for marketing themselves/diluting their branding.
    Freshwater tropical mermaid... I bottle rainbows!

Blog · Facebook · Instagram @PrincesslyPolished · Webshop

Quote Originally Posted by RNHime View Post
    I use a Merfin, too. I absolutely love it and think it does the best job of looking "natural", hiding heels and feet, of any monofin. I was browsing the Mahina site a couple weeks ago and was rather sad to see this on the Gypsea edition Merfin (none of the other adult merfins have this note - it's just this colorway)

Granted, I think they've had the "leg-enclosed costumes not recommended" disclaimer up for-ev-er, and I would imagine that's for very logical liability reasons. But to be actively contacting people and saying "stop using our fin"? Well... why? How far can they even go with that?

It would be like Honda contacting people who were putting aftermarket parts onto their vehicles and saying "stahp!"

Me, putting "you can only use my products in conjunction with each other!!" on every single one of my shop listings.

Um, yeah. Have fun with that.

But really, if it's just something to do with safety, aren't they protecting themselves from any legal backlash by having those disclaimers up? Why would they need to pursue people any more than that? If it has to do with copyright, I'd like to see what "Mahina issued product" anyone is infringing on by putting their time and effort into a handmade work of art that is unique. If it's diluting the branding, hhmmmaybe. (Most people like the reshape the fluke, sooo...) But wasn't there another cheaper monofin recently introduced that looked A LOT like the Mahina's size/shape? What happened with that? I want to say it was from a fabric tail brand. Honestly can't remember.

Yes, I can definitely see big tail making companies not working with these monofins, if they are being purchased and resold in tails it would only be a matter of time before Mahina caught on and at the very least denied orders from the company using their fins, thus making the fluke molds and time developing tails with Merfins a total waste.

But if they are actually hunting people down for swimming as realistic mermaids in their fins, I'm sad. If were to ever have a "real" tail, I'd certainly hope to use the Merfin, knowing full well that my 'warranty was void' once I started doing modifications to it.

Other notes:
    - Was anyone else disturbed by the fact that the Gypsea colored fin is just photoshopped stock pics of their original colors? There are no real photos of it.
    - They don't even offer printed Mermaid leggings in adult sizes... Actually, if we're not allowed to use these in conjunction with ANY other non-Mahina products... WE MUST SWIM NAKED. No swimsuits. No goggles. (No scuba socks?? Owwie... those fins are known to cause blisters... well, I guess if it's FOR SAFETY... sure, Mahina!)

So basically we can start posting in the nude with their fins, spamming their hashtags... see how they like that for marketing themselves/diluting their branding.
    Omg. You beautiful mind you. XP

Store Blog

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Twisted...I like it.

I think, while badly worded, the disclaimer copy is to protect them from liability/litigation.

The disclaimer i could see the purpose of, sorta like when make up brands put disclaimers like "only for body not the lips and eye areas" but know full well people put it on the lips and eyes too.

But hunting people down is odd. Especially when she created a product marketed to mermaids and now she's telling the audience that they can't use it for what she had to know they were going to use it for. Maybe she planned on releasing her own tails using her fin and wanted to scrape the market?

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

They also look like the finis luna fin which just came out

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidBrandie View Post
    Omg. You beautiful mind you. XP

Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    Twisted...I like it.

I think, while badly worded, the disclaimer copy is to protect them from liability/litigation.
    lol, I'm serious, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Momo View Post
    The disclaimer i could see the purpose of, sorta like when make up brands put disclaimers like "only for body not the lips and eye areas" but know full well people put it on the lips and eyes too.

But hunting people down is odd. Especially when she created a product marketed to mermaids and now she's telling the audience that they can't use it for what she had to know they were going to use it for. Maybe she planned on releasing her own tails using her fin and wanted to scrape the market?

Yes, I totally agree with their disclaimer for liability purposes. But after that I feel like it's up to the consumer to decide how to use what they are the owner of... Whether it's a vehicle, electronic device, makeup, whatever... Is there anything that Mahina can seriously do to stop a hobbyist from cutting up a Merfin, painting a Merfin, covering a Merfin in fabric, or do the logical thing and wear socks with the Merfin??

At this point Mahina hasn't even managed to release the promised and much-begged-for Orca fluke. Instead we got the lil' Merfin. I don't see how she could add tails to the catalogue. Especially with the words: "Specifically MerFins are NOT to be used inside any full length leg enclosed mermaid tails."

..."New, from Mahina! Try our leg-encosing fabric tails!!" Nah.

Perhaps their focus is shifting more to the kiddies and they think they need to be the super-safety-police in promotion of that?? I dunno. Their social media feed still markets to the free spirited young woman, IMO. Like you say, Momo, the ones who would wear a fantastic tail...

They also look like the finis luna fin which just came out

Aww, that's cute! Not what I was thinking of, but it is cute. Too bad it's not a little more beefy, that gives me awesome-pool-toy vibes more than kick-butt-mermaid-fin vibes. But at least we can count on Finis to be okay with people wearing their fins in tails...it will be a nice option for people who want something simple and fun.

I had to poke around the site a little more. I think their safety page has been updated since the last time I visited it:

https://www.mahinamermaid.com/pages/merfin-safety

There is NO wording here saying you can't put these in a tail (like there is on the Gypsea product page)... Instead there are perfectly logical "full mermaid costumes aren't for children!" warnings and, direct quote:

Mahina MerFins must only be used by people with competent and confident swimming abilities. Please refer to our 6 Essential swimming skills video.
    This product is for recreational use only.
    Mahina Mermaid products are NOT to be used in conjunction with any other products that are not issued by Mahina Mermaid.
    Mahina MerFins are highly recommended not to be used inside full length, leg enclosed, mermaid tail costumes.
    Mahina recommends that full length leg enclosed mermaid tail costumes should only be used by certified professionally trained water persons, who are 18 years and older.
    Seems like logical product disclaimers to me...except for that "conjunction" part that denotes swimming nekkies.

And so... What about Mahina's tail? The only place I see photos of her in tail are under the Professional Mermaid tab, where apparently she is still available for events, modelling, etc. If they are trying to establish new Merfin laws, she's breaking them. =P
    https://www.mahinamermaid.com/pages/mahina-mermaid

Is she jealous of other mers using her fin as a base?? The hobbyist tail-making scene has come FAR since her monofins first came out, and she had full tails using them that curious fans wanted to know more about. I don't know of her producing/wearing any new tails for promotional things or what-not. Is the fact that people can create movie-effects worthy tails from home (and freely sharing tips on how to do it) cramping her style??

I was wondering that too, to be honest. About her tail I mean.

Store Blog

The whole thing comes off as a clumsy attempt to be super proactive about safety. It's good to be proactive about safety...especially when you have a product that people use in all sorts of swimming situations, and yes, may be adapted for use in more "risky" endeavors. By all means, cover your butts by telling people not to cover theirs.

But you'd think they'd realize that their fin is popular with the mermaiding scene (since it's the original mermaid-styled fin, go figure..!) and this will alienate some people from purchasing and recommending their fins.

Raina, you said tail makers were being contacted to stop using the fins. I can see it being an issue for their "please, use nothing unofficial with our swim fin" if a successful tailmaking brand had Merfins listed as an available option, yet they didn't say anything. I understand that, though it is too bad, because Merbellas Merfin tails were lovely, and the Finfolk one was awesome, too. They don't often show up in silcone, but they always look awesome.

But as for anyone who simply has a Merfin-based tail... How was that handled? I could see them saying "we don't endorse this", perhaps even going as far as requesting that the Mer stops tagging the brand in their posts (ouch), but I'm very curious to know how far Mahina was actually taking it, or thought they could take it. Is there a Merfin repo team? Are we going to get a reality TV show out of this?

Personally, I was hoping to upgrade to a black Water Woman Merfin this summer. Hearing all this makes me feel sad, though. I love the fin but I have issues with companies that turn into strange, controlling monster entities.

Maybe someone tried to sue them for an injury a child or they got using the fins in a tail and now they're trying to cover their butts from anything like that happening again?

Maybe someone tried to sue them for an injury a child or they got using the fins in a tail and now they're trying to cover their butts from anything like that happening again?
    Maybe? It's all a little vague. Like, they have the disclaimers. They'd had them forever. In theory, that should have them covered. Though, having Mahina herself showed in a full tail muddies it a bit.

Store Blog

With how few tail-related accidents/incidents there have been I'd be surprised if something happened and we didn't hear about it.

Hey guys, I thought I'd offer my two cents on this topic.

I recently did a review of the monofin as it was sent over from them.

https://youtu.be/ggbXhjReWgM

This has been in the works for many months and I got a chance to Skype call with a Ashoka, the Sales and Operations manager for Mahina.
    Before I got in contact with them my experience and thoughts about the fin were the same as everyone else's. I really liked (and still do like) the style of the product and was interested in how well it would work. I've heard of people making tails for this monofin including Miami Beach Mermaids and as wellMermaid Inc and then of course the Magictail Pro that can fit it.
    Now when I spoke to them about the monofin they basically said that Kazzie Mahina didn't want any basically feelings of guilt if something were to ever happen with one of her fins. Plus Australia has that annoying tail ban and they really had to fight for their monofin to be recognized as a safe product. I don't think they like official tail makers using their monofin as they don't want to be involved in a legal battle if there ever was an incident. As for their policy about mermaiding in full-length tails I believe it to be a good balance between cautioning people who may not have the best knowledge or water proficiency and not completely opposing full tail mermaiding, as Mahina herself does so.

Quote Originally Posted by RNHime View Post
    You're funny! I completely agree with the irritating no adult leggings thing too. They did tell me to use scuba socks personally though, so I don't think it goes that far.

Anyways, I think we all have valid opinions on this and while I may not yet be shouting this out to my YouTube audience, I lowkey want a full length tail with a Mahina monofin, but *coughs* not right now.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by faithonthebass View Post
    Hey guys, I thought I'd offer my two cents on this topic.

I recently did a review of the monofin as it was sent over from them.

https://youtu.be/ggbXhjReWgM

This has been in the works for many months and I got a chance to Skype call with a Ashoka, the Sales and Operations manager for Mahina.
    Before I got in contact with them my experience and thoughts about the fin were the same as everyone else's. I really liked (and still do like) the style of the product and was interested in how well it would work. I've heard of people making tails for this monofin including Miami Beach Mermaids and as wellMermaid Inc and then of course the Magictail Pro that can fit it.
    Now when I spoke to them about the monofin they basically said that Kazzie Mahina didn't want any basically feelings of guilt if something were to ever happen with one of her fins. Plus Australia has that annoying tail ban and they really had to fight for their monofin to be recognized as a safe product. I don't think they like official tail makers using their monofin as they don't want to be involved in a legal battle if there ever was an incident. As for their policy about mermaiding in full-length tails I believe it to be a good balance between cautioning people who may not have the best knowledge or water proficiency and not completely opposing full tail mermaiding, as Mahina herself does so.

You're funny! I completely agree with the irritating no adult leggings thing too. They did tell me to use scuba socks personally though, so I don't think it goes that far.

Anyways, I think we all have valid opinions on this and while I may not yet be shouting this out to my YouTube audience, I lowkey want a full length tail with a Mahina monofin, but *coughs* not right now.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
    First off: aha! Thank you. The fabric tail maker I was thinking of was MagicTail, and they do have a mahina-esque flipper of their own. To the unfamiliar, that fin could totally be mistaken for a Mahina worn in-tail, so I just have to wonder about how the company views it. If they are worried about diluted branding, I'd say that's a threat. (of course the two fins are two different levels of quality and design out-of-tail) Or if it's just undesirable because it's a fabric skin that fits their product...

Hey, awesome review! It's nice to hear from someone that was in contact with them so recently. (Side points: I too use regular socks for swimming in the Mahina fin, though I want to upgrade to spandex type swim socks for durability. I don't need the bulk of neoprene because I'm using a kid's Medium, which is SNUG on my feet. An exact fit. I've never had any blisters or pain from the fin, either... basically your thoughts and review could have been my own, lol.)

And it's good to hear they don't condone the use of socks... why don't they sell some cute matchy-matchy ones?? I bet 99% of the "complaints" about the ankle-breaking, blister-causing Mahina fin would vanish if they came with one pair of comfy swim socks. (With info directing you to the website to purchase replacements, of course.) I know they couldn't really mean what their words sound like... Their promo shots have plenty of bathing suits and goggles, lol. (But a distinct lack of socks..?) ..So hopefully I won't have to convince my husband that I haven't lost my mind trying to do pin-up Mahina photos...ah, well.

I'm not convinced that legal battles could come back to haunt Mahina with all the disclaimers they have up. I guess with a smaller company she may feel more responsible, but IMO with a product like this you just plain have to realize that there is some risk on the customer's end. Do car manufacturer's feel guilty for every fender-bender that happens on the road? Do companies that make ladders contact all the people who post pictures of them being used inappropriately? Maybe things are different in Austrailia, though. It's too bad that they've had to fight for the mermaiding rights.

Overall the impression I get from the mermaiding community is one of safety-consciousness. Never swim alone. Know yourself, your limits, have training. Don't jump in with a full tail right away... Yet as the movement continues to attract attention from people who don't know all the rigorous training professional mers go through to create the stunning photos they see online, and want the summer-fun experience...the rate of accidents could increase. I don't think any one company could be held accountable for an accident when they're so strongly promoting safety in the water. But I guess that's just me.

And ugh, I hear ya. I low-key want, one, too. It's just such a great fin to swim in, so sturdy and natural, perfect size, made of recycled materials..! Be still, my heart! lol. Fortunately it's completely satisfying swimming in the fin alone, due the fantastic performance you get out of it. I just wish they had released the man-ofin in guy's sizes, because I want to share this experience with my husband, and can't see giving someone who is a foot taller than me a SMALLER fluke... (Okay, Mahina, you've created a speed demon...I'll be forwarding my pool speeding tickets to your address. )