Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sculpting on a Mahina Merfin?

I had issues with them being made from latex. This is a problem for anyone with a latex allergy. When I contacted their company, they played dumb, so it is NOT any kind of safety issue. It is totally about branding and money. That's fine. When I get sick from cutting into the latex, to make it what I need, I know that is all on me, and I will damn well make it whatever I friggin want.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RNHime View Post
    I use a Merfin, too. I absolutely love it and think it does the best job of looking "natural", hiding heels and feet, of any monofin. I was browsing the Mahina site a couple weeks ago and was rather sad to see this on the Gypsea edition Merfin (none of the other adult merfins have this note - it's just this colorway)

Granted, I think they've had the "leg-enclosed costumes not recommended" disclaimer up for-ev-er, and I would imagine that's for very logical liability reasons. But to be actively contacting people and saying "stop using our fin"? Well... why? How far can they even go with that?

It would be like Honda contacting people who were putting aftermarket parts onto their vehicles and saying "stahp!"

Me, putting "you can only use my products in conjunction with each other!!" on every single one of my shop listings.

Um, yeah. Have fun with that.

But really, if it's just something to do with safety, aren't they protecting themselves from any legal backlash by having those disclaimers up? Why would they need to pursue people any more than that? If it has to do with copyright, I'd like to see what "Mahina issued product" anyone is infringing on by putting their time and effort into a handmade work of art that is unique. If it's diluting the branding, hhmmmaybe. (Most people like the reshape the fluke, sooo...) But wasn't there another cheaper monofin recently introduced that looked A LOT like the Mahina's size/shape? What happened with that? I want to say it was from a fabric tail brand. Honestly can't remember.

Yes, I can definitely see big tail making companies not working with these monofins, if they are being purchased and resold in tails it would only be a matter of time before Mahina caught on and at the very least denied orders from the company using their fins, thus making the fluke molds and time developing tails with Merfins a total waste.

But if they are actually hunting people down for swimming as realistic mermaids in their fins, I'm sad. If were to ever have a "real" tail, I'd certainly hope to use the Merfin, knowing full well that my 'warranty was void' once I started doing modifications to it.

Other notes:
    - Was anyone else disturbed by the fact that the Gypsea colored fin is just photoshopped stock pics of their original colors? There are no real photos of it.
    - They don't even offer printed Mermaid leggings in adult sizes... Actually, if we're not allowed to use these in conjunction with ANY other non-Mahina products... WE MUST SWIM NAKED. No swimsuits. No goggles. (No scuba socks?? Owwie... those fins are known to cause blisters... well, I guess if it's FOR SAFETY... sure, Mahina!)

So basically we can start posting in the nude with their fins, spamming their hashtags... see how they like that for marketing themselves/diluting their branding.
    Beautiful just beautiful 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Sent from my LGL62VL using MerNetwork mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidBrandie View Post
    Omg. You beautiful mind you. XP

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
    Lololololololol just saw this after i posted a second ago!!😄😄😂😂😂😂😄😄😄😇😄 great mers think alike!!!!

Sent from my LGL62VL using MerNetwork mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by lotusauriel View Post
    I had issues with them being made from latex. This is a problem for anyone with a latex allergy. When I contacted their company, they played dumb, so it is NOT any kind of safety issue. It is totally about branding and money. That's fine. When I get sick from cutting into the latex, to make it what I need, I know that is all on me, and I will damn well make it whatever I friggin want.

I've had two Mer fins now and also have a latex allergy...i have yet to have issue...? That's odd.

Owner/Operator behind Tails & Portholes
    Store Blog
    - Personal Blog - Twitter - Instagram - Store Facebook
    This treasure cums for YOUR booty

Mine only bothered me when I was cutting it. I still use the teal one. I'm going to try the body glide with it this week. Wondering if that will fix the rubbing or if it'll make me react.

Wow, I was going to buy the mahina in a couple of weeks for my next monofin, but I am also alkergic to latex. ::sigh:: Oh well, I guess that I will have to go with Finis instead. Though I like the look of the luna...hmm

Sent from my SM-G920T using MerNetwork mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by DancingJohari View Post
    Wow, I was going to buy the mahina in a couple of weeks for my next monofin, but I am also alkergic to latex. ::sigh:: Oh well, I guess that I will have to go with Finis instead. Though I like the look of the luna...hmm

So I have been swimming with mine once or twice a week. They seem to hurt everyone, regardless of a specific latex allergy. I have tried the neoprene socks, coconut oil, and body glide. It still hurts, no matter what I do. And NOT actually from any reaction. This week, using the Body Glide seemed to make it worse. The thing actually stuck to the tops of my feet. I really love the way it moves and looks, and I have spent so much money trying to make it work. I'm on my second one, because I was hoping the bigger size would fix the issues. It didn't. Now it just hurts when it rubs my ankles too. I hate giving up on it, but I need to be able to swim. If anyone has a green Luna, and wants to trade for a size large teal colored mahina, I will do it! I have cut the tips, and some of the round scalloping off. I really like what I did with both the current one, and the original orange one that I cut and painted. But still, maybe someone else can better use this.

So I have been swimming with mine once or twice a week. They seem to hurt everyone, regardless of a specific latex allergy. I have tried the neoprene socks, coconut oil, and body glide. It still hurts, no matter what I do. And NOT actually from any reaction. This week, using the Body Glide seemed to make it worse. The thing actually stuck to the tops of my feet. I really love the way it moves and looks, and I have spent so much money trying to make it work. I'm on my second one, because I was hoping the bigger size would fix the issues. It didn't. Now it just hurts when it rubs my ankles too. I hate giving up on it, but I need to be able to swim. If anyone has a green Luna, and wants to trade for a size large teal colored mahina, I will do it! I have cut the tips, and some of the round scalloping off. I really like what I did with both the current one, and the original orange one that I cut and painted. But still, maybe someone else can better use this.

I have read alot about how it rubs and hurts the feet, too. That was one of the reasons why I was holding off, but when I saw it contains latex, I can't take a chance. I'd rather get the luna, which is silicone. Mahina was trying to do a good thing in terms of recycling, but they need to revisit their design me thinks.

I totally agree.

Neoprine socks solve the rubbing issues 100%. Not sure if it would stop allergic reactions though.

Sent from my Pixel using MerNetwork mobile app

I have them. They bunch up in it. Feet are still cramping. I'm going to try one last time, with the dive socks AND Body Glide, but I am pretty much done with this. I need a monofin that both moves well, and is NOT natural latex rubber. And doesn't destroy my feet. I can't even make a tail until I have something that works to build onto. This IS what is holding me up, and it's starting to piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Draca View Post
    Neoprine socks solve the rubbing issues 100%. Not sure if it would stop allergic reactions though.

Sent from my Pixel using MerNetwork mobile app
    Not gonna take the chance. But yesi was planning in investing in neoprine socks anyway, but...oh well. will save up and get the luna instead. it looks so pretty!

As far as the rubbing and cramping goes, I get that. I just sort of powered through it for a year or two though and now it's fine. it's so sad to hear y'all can use them.

Store Blog

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidBrandie View Post
    As far as the rubbing and cramping goes, I get that. I just sort of powered through it for a year or two though and now it's fine. it's so sad to hear y'all can use them.

It took that long to get used to it? But you actually did? If I know there's an end in sight, and I can at some point somehow use this thing, I want to. I have too much time and money into it not to. And I still haven't found a monofin that I think I will like better really. I mean yeah, the Luna seems to be a lot more skin friendly. But I still want that propulsion.

It took that long to get used to it? But you actually did? If I know there's an end in sight, and I can at some point somehow use this thing, I want to. I have too much time and money into it not to. And I still haven't found a monofin that I think I will like better really. I mean yeah, the Luna seems to be a lot more skin friendly. But I still want that propulsion.

It did. When I first started swimming with one it was off Craig's list and too small. I used multiple pairs of swim socks to build up a tolerance. First to the cramping, then eventually to the blisters. Now I've got an adult size (those weren't available when I got the first one) and I only need swim socks because the pockets are slightly too large and I don't like the wiggle room.

It did take a while. It did hurt. I swam three days a week for a long while, just...gritting my teeth and dealing with foot pain. In really wanted this fin to be the one. That's not for everyone though, and if your latex allergy flares up with this fin I wouldn't advise it. I have a latex allergy too and this fin hadn't ever bothered me but all allergies are different.

Store Blog

Thank you so much! My allergy really only flared up with this when I cut them and got rough particles on my skin. Or maybe made them off-gas. I have 2 of them. I too really want them to work, and I do still eventually want to get a Luna as well, but I really love how these move. The unpainted one does stick to the tops of my arches after swimming for an hour or more. It doesn't blister, but they do turn red. I really don't understand why this specific monofin is so extremely painful for so many people, but I don't want to just give up on it.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    If your neoprene socks are bunching up, you need the ones that go up past the ankles. That what I wear when I use my merfin and yet to have problems with the socks.

The reason why the merfin hurts people feet is that the strap doesn't flex when swimming. And that there are the weird little triangles that on them that rub on the ankles. You can see it in the photo above, they're the funny shaped thing in the middle strap where the foot pockets join and on the inner sides on each foot pocket's strap.
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 08-11-2017 at 03:14 AM.
    Formerly known as ireneho

My socks are like that. They don't fall down into the pockets, it's just hard to get the fin on over them. I did better when I coated everything in coconut oil, but I still cramp really bad with them on. I guess I'll figure something out. I did see a while back where someone cut some of that off. I'm just nervous about cutting around the pockets, because then I will have to wear the socks with it all the time.

My socks are like that. They don't fall down into the pockets, it's just hard to get the fin on over them. I did better when I coated everything in coconut oil, but I still cramp really bad with them on. I guess I'll figure something out. I did see a while back where someone cut some of that off. I'm just nervous about cutting around the pockets, because then I will have to wear the socks with it all the time.

You could use spandex socks? I did that with my first one because the fit was so tight the Neoprene socks didn't work as comfortably and would bunch if I didn't spend forever carefully putting the fin on.

Store Blog

I will try that. I at least have thinner regular socks. Thank you all so so much.