Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MermaidBrandie is finally starting a silicone tail....

MermaidBrandie is finally starting a silicone tail....

....I made a post a while back about starting a silicone tail, then life got in the way and that thread ended up being more about the sequin fabric tail I made. That tail has been my main tail since then and has held up well but I finally have the funds, practice with silicone, time and confidence to dive into making an actual tail.

I've been quite on here for a while, and it's nice to step back in. I may not update here as often as I do on twitter or facebook, but I will attempt to keep the progress on my tail updated.

Because of my background and practice in making silicone adult toys, I have come to know quite a few other talented individuals and one of them being my dear friend, Rel, in Australia. She does some amazing 3D modeling work, and so I commissioned her to 3D model and design my scales so that I could 3D print them and cast them in varying sizes. The whole process was lovely and the sculpt is perfect. (You can find her at Enchanted Forest Toys on tumblr and twitter, but I won't be linking it since she does make adult toys and it's not safe for work.)

Her design after talking with me a bit:

I have decided to loosely base my tail off a Rainbow Wrasse and other similar wrasse breeds, making it quite a colorful design. I'm a little hesitant with worry that the design is too complicated but we shall see.

The fish I referenced were various types of Wrasse. I had pictures here but photo bucket has decided to be weird.

The design I have decided upon:

I'll be using a modified Mahina Merfin in the fluke because even though I've tried a bunch of other monofins I cannot stand any others in the way the move and feel. The fluke and fins will be hand sculpted and hopefully I can do the beauty of the 3D printed scales justice.

EDIT 4/15/2017: I updated my tail design slightly to reflect the fact that I will be getting my fluke and fins from Fancy Fish Fashions on etsy! https://www.etsy.com/shop/FancyFishF...-header-avatar
    Last edited by MermaidBrandie; 07-25-2017 at 01:13 PM.
    Owner/Operator behind Tails & Portholes
    Store Blog
    - Personal Blog - Twitter - Instagram - Store Facebook
    This treasure cums for YOUR booty

I've already done a few test scale prints/and casts.

The first being a large and much to thick one for the overall look. I purposely made it into a pendant for sending out with etsy shop toy orders (I make them out of excess silicone so they're all random colors). The most recent test was a 3D print of the model done much thinner, and then cast. I printed a couple with different print settings to see how they came out and then resin coated them to smooth them.

The thinner print, right off the printer, next to the already cast larger and thicker pendant.

A couple of test pulls in skin tone color. That's it for now but I'll be updating and progressing some more once I'm done with the last etsy orders I got. ^.^

Edit: pictures removed due to photo bucket failure.
    Last edited by MermaidBrandie; 07-25-2017 at 01:17 PM.
    Store Blog

Just started 3D printing a batch of scales!! If all goes well I'll be able to print nine per batch!

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
    Store Blog

I was wondering about the whole 3D printing scales thing! I love it! Think you could do this for a fluke sculpt? Or would it be easier to get something that scale outsourced to a laser cutting company. Heck, at that point you could just 3D model the mold. Hmm.

I would love to 3D print the fluke but my print bed isn't large enough. (I have my own printer). I plan on getting the fins and fluke from Fancy Fish!!

Store Blog

Good point. You would have to essentially print the fluke in separate pieces, like a puzzle, and then maybe piece it together? I can't wait to see it all finished!!

Quote Originally Posted by KatieScottArt View Post
    Good point. You would have to essentially print the fluke in separate pieces, like a puzzle, and then maybe piece it together? I can't wait to see it all finished!!
    Yea that would be the way but meh lol. Fancy Fish ftw!!

Store Blog

First batch of scales were too thin and a few failed because of it. I thickened them up and am reprinting another batch today.

Store Blog

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Looks cool, are you going to use them to make a mold?

Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    Looks cool, are you going to use them to make a mold?
    Yup yup!! That's the plan!

Store Blog

Junior Member Pod of the Midwest
    Quote Originally Posted by KatieScottArt View Post
    I was wondering about the whole 3D printing scales thing! I love it! Think you could do this for a fluke sculpt? Or would it be easier to get something that scale outsourced to a laser cutting company. Heck, at that point you could just 3D model the mold. Hmm.
    I wasn't planning to post anything about my plans for a while yet, but since this came up, I thought I'd add my input. I'm currently working on making a CNC router for myself (slowly but surely it is getting done). I had a similar idea to make 3D models of my scales and fluke but instead of 3D printing them, I want to use my router to cut out the complete mold of the scale sheet and fluke. Since my router should have a cutting surface of about 2 ft by 3 ft, with open ends, I should be able to move a piece of wood or other material along the 3 ft axis and make a full length mold of the scale sheet. Depending on how big my fluke is, I may not be able to cut it from one whole piece of material, but I think I'll be able to make it work. The hope in the end is that this will allow me to make a silicone tail faster, cheaper (ignoring the cost of making the CNC router because I decided to make it for a different purpose, originally, and later realized the potential), and better than I might be able to using some of the more "traditional" techniques I've learned about in this forum so I can enjoy a tail of my own in the near future.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TidalBell View Post
    I wasn't planning to post anything about my plans for a while yet, but since this came up, I thought I'd add my input. I'm currently working on making a CNC router for myself (slowly but surely it is getting done). I had a similar idea to make 3D models of my scales and fluke but instead of 3D printing them, I want to use my router to cut out the complete mold of the scale sheet and fluke. Since my router should have a cutting surface of about 2 ft by 3 ft, with open ends, I should be able to move a piece of wood or other material along the 3 ft axis and make a full length mold of the scale sheet. Depending on how big my fluke is, I may not be able to cut it from one whole piece of material, but I think I'll be able to make it work. The hope in the end is that this will allow me to make a silicone tail faster, cheaper (ignoring the cost of making the CNC router because I decided to make it for a different purpose, originally, and later realized the potential), and better than I might be able to using some of the more "traditional" techniques I've learned about in this forum so I can enjoy a tail of my own in the near future.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    Oh that's so cool! I have a friend that works with those and my bf would love to get one.

Store Blog

I just got home from my work shift, and the second batch of scales is looking good so far!! I'm going to bed but if they come out right (Like its looking they will!) then I'll just keep printing batches from this file until I have 20/30 total!

Store Blog

Junior Member Pod of The South
    How much and where did you get your 3D printer?

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OtsanaBlackwolf View Post
    How much and where did you get your 3D printer?

I got it off of Aliexpress and it was $200 after a bunch of setting tweaks it prints fab

Store Blog

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidBrandie View Post
    I got it off of Aliexpress and it was $200 after a bunch of setting tweaks it prints fab

Is it hard to operate?

Is it hard to operate?

Not really. The buttons that use it need to really be pressed but....its pretty straightforward.

I'm on my phone but I can probably find the link to it when I get on the laptop

Store Blog

Not really. The buttons that use it need to really be pressed but....its pretty straightforward.

I'm on my phone but I can probably find the link to it when I get on the laptop

That would be awesome thank you!!!

That would be awesome thank you!!!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-Latest-Big-220-220-240mm-Impressora-Precision-Reprap-Prusa-i3-DIY-kit-3d-Printer-with/32606799455.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.QGLm0a

There you go. When/if you get it, if you have trouble with print settings I'll def say half of it is just playing around and cussing to be honest. If you need help I can always screenshot you my print settings though. My boyfriend figured them out and it prints really well.
    Store Blog

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-Latest-Big-220-220-240mm-Impressora-Precision-Reprap-Prusa-i3-DIY-kit-3d-Printer-with/32606799455.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.QGLm0a

There you go. When/if you get it, if you have trouble with print settings I'll def say half of it is just playing around and cussing to be honest. If you need help I can always screenshot you my print settings though. My boyfriend figured them out and it prints really well.
    Thank you soooo much!!! I'll have to save up for it but I will let you know when I get it