Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vegan and vegetarian mermaids

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kae-Leah View Post
    Vegetarian here, though I do try to limit my dairy consumption by using soy or almond milk in my cereal and coffee instead of dairy milk. I actually started a Vegetarian/Vegan Merfolk group on FB a while back, although it hasn't been terribly active for a while to be honest. I also have a guide to movies, TV shows, and books featuring merfolk who do not eat fish and/or can speak to sea life.
    Nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid_Ginger View Post
    Wait. Where can I find mock fish meats? What are they called?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Gardien Fishless filets and crabcakes are amazing. Sophie's Kitchen has some frozen vegan seafood but imo its expensive trash

Thanks! I will definitely look them up next time I go to a real grocery store

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I'm working on going vegitarian, I bought a bunch of frozen vegan food and realized some of it has genetically modified ingredients. So I won't be eating those... Thankfully most of them didn't have any of that, so far I LOVE black bean burger patties. What are all of your favorites?

I was raised vegetarian. Have been a struggling vegan since '15. Hard to be strict when you're living in an RV and a hungry, struggling college student, but I try my best!

So excited to see this thread. Having a vegan, ocean themed open house after I graduate from community college next year. Maybe I'll find some great ideas on here!

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk
    The difference between a dream and a goal is a deadline. ~Steve Smith
    Start strong, stay strong and finish strong by always remembering why you're doing it in the first place. ~Ralph Marston
    user formerly known as Critter

Losing weight and THEN getting a tail. 41 pounds down, 100 to go! July 16 and still going strong! Inspired to educate and then work as a fitness and nutrition coach.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaleesi Daenerys View Post
    I'm working on going vegitarian, I bought a bunch of frozen vegan food and realized some of it has genetically modified ingredients. So I won't be eating those... Thankfully most of them didn't have any of that, so far I LOVE black bean burger patties. What are all of your favorites?
    if you avoid the nasty brands like Boca and Morning Star you should be ok. I know stores like the Safeway brand have generic, organic, knock brands for frozen vegan food, as does Kroger. I prefer Gardien for almost anything. If you have Sprouts or Whole Foods nearby, give them a whirl for nongmo stuff.

Tradewinds, that's a matter of taste. I have no problem with Morning Star or Boca. Both have Vegan and Vegetarian options and I find no problem with taste. However, I was raised vegetarian, so it's not like I was ever accustomed to the taste of meat anyway (and therefore have a different palate than many out there). I would say be willing to try new things. If you don't like it, don't buy it again!

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk
    The difference between a dream and a goal is a deadline. ~Steve Smith
    Start strong, stay strong and finish strong by always remembering why you're doing it in the first place. ~Ralph Marston
    user formerly known as Critter

Losing weight and THEN getting a tail. 41 pounds down, 100 to go! July 16 and still going strong! Inspired to educate and then work as a fitness and nutrition coach.

Junior Member Euro Pod
    Yay, more veg type mers! 💙
    Vegetarian since '96 and vegan since '07 here 😊

Sent from my Moto G (4) using MerNetwork mobile app

Went Vegan for the ocean! Sadly it took a long time for me to realize I loved the ocean more than I loved the taste of fish. Even everyday in the ocean seeing how much of life we lost in the 10 years i've been diving... and one day I just woke up.

+1 on the Gardein brand!

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    Haha, I don't think I could live without my meat. I simply love it. (Not that I dislike veggies though! Greens are the best!)

One thing that's very unfortunate about fish, is that its really hard to farm. Death and disease spread so quickly in fish farms, and it tastes awful.
    But we can't keep overfishing and screwing things up like we are. I HATE it. It's ugly and disgusting.
    Most commercial meat farming (and even veg farming) is modified and unnatural now.

For some (unreligious) reason I thank the fish for their lives and for their bodies to bless us with health when I prepare them to eat. Seems... right I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kane View Post
    Haha, I don't think I could live without my meat. I simply love it. (Not that I dislike veggies though! Greens are the best!)

One thing that's very unfortunate about fish, is that its really hard to farm. Death and disease spread so quickly in fish farms, and it tastes awful.
    But we can't keep overfishing and screwing things up like we are. I HATE it. It's ugly and disgusting.
    Most commercial meat farming (and even veg farming) is modified and unnatural now.

For some (unreligious) reason I thank the fish for their lives and for their bodies to bless us with health when I prepare them to eat. Seems... right I guess.

Do you really love meat though? When you see road kill do you get hungry? Do you enjoy raw slabs of (any land animal). I think more so you love the cooked fats and the seasonings that the meat was cooked in. ( but i'm just guessing) .

It's true about fish and the fishing industry, Its a sad world, we would never do the same practice on land. for every 1 fish you eat, 4 other animals died including dolphins, sharks, birds, whales and other fish. bicatch is a nasty thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Broussard View Post
    Do you really love meat though? When you see road kill do you get hungry? Do you enjoy raw slabs of (any land animal). I think more so you love the cooked fats and the seasonings that the meat was cooked in. ( but i'm just guessing) .

It's true about fish and the fishing industry, Its a sad world, we would never do the same practice on land. for every 1 fish you eat, 4 other animals died including dolphins, sharks, birds, whales and other fish. bicatch is a nasty thing.
    My birth father (now deceased because of a hole in his heart) used to hunt for us. We'd eat plain squirrel and rats, no seasoning, just cooked. I liked it. I have also eaten crayfish I caught just boiled. I liked it. I've eaten raw fish by itself. I liked it.
    I could be wrong, but I think I like meat? But who knows. Your post makes one think.

Too bad vegetarian ''meats'' aren't the same, or I'd be on board.
    I was once given a ''chicken nugget'', and wasn't told what it was are that there even was vegetarian meat around, and I easily knew it wasn't meat. Without anyone asking if anything tasted off. I had no suggestion what it was. I just knew it wasn't meat.

Wow. Squirrel! Yes. Maybe you do like meat

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Broussard View Post
    Wow. Squirrel! Yes. Maybe you do like meat
    xD That's what I thought!

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes The Magic Crafter's Avatar
    Follow The Magic Crafter On Twitter Add The Magic Crafter on Facebook Add The Magic Crafter on Google+
    Visit The Magic Crafter's Youtube Channel
    Yeeeesss! I've been a vegan for almost a year now! While it is mostly for health reasons, being part of the vegan community has made me realize just how cruel and how unhealthy animal products are. I look at my dog, I look at the turkeys that cross in front of my house daily, and I look at the fish in the lake nearby... I can't think of them as anything but fellow inhabitants of this earth. That anyone would be compelled to eat them (especially my dog! ) is just depressing.

Apples and sweet potatoes are where it's at

(However, everyone has the right to make their own choices in their life. I don't condemn meat-eaters. Just thought that needed to be added... just to be clear. Hehehe!)
    Last edited by The Magic Crafter; 09-30-2017 at 05:47 PM. Reason: BUT!!!
    New YouTube Videos Every Week!!
    I can be found at www.TheMagicCrafter.com

This is my tail!
    ~*~ Please call me "Phantom!" ~*~