Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vegan and vegetarian mermaids

Vegan and vegetarian mermaids

Hey shouting out to our mer community just like Ariel I love my fish friends. Any vegan and vegetarian mermaids as well who are passionate about the environmental impacts of fish farming or any other animal agriculture? 🦈🦐.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Euro Pod Moonchild's Avatar

Follow Moonchild on Tumblr Follow Moonchild on Flickr
    Yaaaaaay!! YEEEEEEEEES😍
    Vegan here🙋

Enviado desde mi Aquaris X5 mediante Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Moonchild View Post
    Yaaaaaay!! YEEEEEEEEES
    Vegan here

Enviado desde mi Aquaris X5 mediante Tapatalk
    Yay I'm currently vegetarian almost vegan

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    Vegan since 2014 over here!!! Always for the animals.

Vegetarian since '96, vegan with exceptions since 2000. Exceptions being creamer in my coffee, mostly. I'm allergic to the fake stuff and coffee makes my life happy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of the Southwest Vrindavana Starfish's Avatar
    Follow Vrindavana Starfish On Twitter Add Vrindavana Starfish on Facebook
    Follow Vrindavana Starfish on Tumblr Visit Vrindavana Starfish's Youtube Channel
    Hey fishes! It's been a while since I've been on here. I've been vegetarian for almost 10 years now. No meat, fish, or eggs. I've also recently gone keto vegetarian, which has been a fun challenge. Anyway, I made MERMAID TOAST! I made a post for it on my blog, so here's the link: Mermaid Toast Blog and Recipe. I made it vegetarian, but you can easily make it vegan if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrindavana Starfish View Post
    Hey fishes! It's been a while since I've been on here. I've been vegetarian for almost 10 years now. No meat, fish, or eggs. I've also recently gone keto vegetarian, which has been a fun challenge. Anyway, I made MERMAID TOAST! I made a post for it on my blog, so here's the link: Mermaid Toast Blog and Recipe. I made it vegetarian, but you can easily make it vegan if you like.
    Have you tried a good vegan cream cheese? So much of those cheese subs are hit and miss. Follow Your Heart, Tofutti, and Daiya I like in _other_ foods but when you have cream cheese and whatnot...eeewww. I bought once to try as I hadn't tried any after I became vegan and probly won't buy ever again. (But sure beats the literal HELL the dairy industry is for cows)

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid_Ginger View Post
    Vegetarian since '96, vegan with exceptions since 2000. Exceptions being creamer in my coffee, mostly. I'm allergic to the fake stuff and coffee makes my life happy.

There's some GREAT creamers out there...Silk, So Delicious, etc...I just use regular soy in mine and buy the Silk soy creamer carton for work

Thanks! I should look into the So Delicious. I am allergic to carrageenan and corn, which most soy milks have. I also can't drink most nut milks - too rich on my stomach since I no longer have a gallbladder 😛. I get half and half from a local farm.

I also eat fish and chips once a year because it's my favorite thing, so I'm not perfect! Working on cutting that down. For me it's about striking a balance between doing what's best for the environment/animals/other humans and what makes your life enjoyable. I find people are more receptive to learning about the lifestyle when they know I don't believe in completely denying a person what they enjoy most.

Sorry if I sound preachy!

That said, if anyone knows a vegan creamer that doesn't have carageenan or corn (corn syrup, dextrose, food starch), I'd love to try it!

Hey'all! I'm Vegan, officially just since January but I started my transition pretty slowly over the year before. I love me some fisshie friends but my absolute favorite friends are moos <3 They were my original inspiration.
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

Senior Member Pod of the Southwest Vrindavana Starfish's Avatar
    Follow Vrindavana Starfish On Twitter Add Vrindavana Starfish on Facebook
    Follow Vrindavana Starfish on Tumblr Visit Vrindavana Starfish's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Trade Winds View Post
    Have you tried a good vegan cream cheese? So much of those cheese subs are hit and miss. Follow Your Heart, Tofutti, and Daiya I like in _other_ foods but when you have cream cheese and whatnot...eeewww. I bought once to try as I hadn't tried any after I became vegan and probly won't buy ever again. (But sure beats the literal HELL the dairy industry is for cows)
    I love Tofutti!

Quote Originally Posted by Vrindavana Starfish View Post
    Nice

Thanks! I should look into the So Delicious. I am allergic to carrageenan and corn, which most soy milks have. I also can't drink most nut milks - too rich on my stomach since I no longer have a gallbladder . I get half and half from a local farm.

I also eat fish and chips once a year because it's my favorite thing, so I'm not perfect! Working on cutting that down. For me it's about striking a balance between doing what's best for the environment/animals/other humans and what makes your life enjoyable. I find people are more receptive to learning about the lifestyle when they know I don't believe in completely denying a person what they enjoy most.

Sorry if I sound preachy!

That said, if anyone knows a vegan creamer that doesn't have carageenan or corn (corn syrup, dextrose, food starch), I'd love to try it!

That's awesome that your cutting it out there are some mock fish meats out there if you miss fish and chips.

Quote Originally Posted by brynnwiens View Post
    That's awesome that your cutting it out there are some mock fish meats out there if you miss fish and chips.

Wait. Where can I find mock fish meats? What are they called?

Wait. Where can I find mock fish meats? What are they called?

I know of one by the brand called Gardein.

Gardein is amazing, although I haven't tried their first stuff. Even before being vegan I didn't eat fish

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

Is it available at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's??m

Been vegan for a while now. Never really enjoyed the taste of fish, it was always super strong and overpowering in flavor. That's actually what I really enjoy about vegan seafood because they do have the seafood flavor but its much milder.

I know of a few brands of vegan seafood...

One of the easiest to find is Gardein.
    They have mini-crabless cakes and golden fish filets.

• I've only had the filets but they were really good and juicy.
    • Gardein is pretty common, you can find them at Vons, Pavillions, Safeway, Ralphs, King Sooper's, Whole Foods, Sprouts, even Target.

There's also Sofie's Kitchen which is a vegan brand that focuses only seafood.
    They have tons of stuff; Calamari, Shrimps, Scallops, "Toona", Smoked Salmon, Crab Cakes etc.
    • I've had the breaded shrimp and calamari. Both pretty good and they even replicated the chewiness.
    • I've found them only at places like Whole Foods and Sprouts.

On the websites, you can out in your zip code to see if a store near you carries their products. You can also order many of these online through sites like Amazon.

I've also found some cool at home recipes for things like fish sandwiches and fish tacos on youtube, but the following recipe with tomatoes is probably one of my favorite...

There's also vegan seafood from the following brands,
    • Vegetarian Plus
    • V Bites
    • Just Green
    • May Wah
    • EcoVegan

"She felt a sarcastic impulse to point out to him that in some circles "inhuman" would be considered a compliment..."

- Waking Storms, Sarah Porter

I have a few questions (me not being vegitarian or vegan), if you mers don't mind. Anyone I can pm about this?

Vegetarian here, though I do try to limit my dairy consumption by using soy or almond milk in my cereal and coffee instead of dairy milk. I actually started a Vegetarian/Vegan Merfolk group on FB a while back, although it hasn't been terribly active for a while to be honest. I also have a guide to movies, TV shows, and books featuring merfolk who do not eat fish and/or can speak to sea life.
    Follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kae-Le...53963584623799

Check out my writing on FictionPress, which has so far received more than 12,000 hits from 88 countries and territories on 6 continents!
    http://www.fictionpress.com/u/729633/Kae_Leah_W