Thread: Pilling on old Fin Fun tail

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar

Pilling on old Fin Fun tail

I have a purple Mermaiden tail from Fin Fun, which I got in 2014. Its been thru a ton of swimming. After my swim yesterday, I noticed it is pilling quite badly now. I usually wear to natural water, and pools a couple times. Yesterday was a pool. The tail is getting up there in age for a fabric tail. I want it to last a while still before I buy a new one. What can I do it ditch the pilling? Otherwise the tail has no rips, tears, etc just ugly pilling. Luckily it is only noticable up close out of water, but it is still ugly and obvious

Photos?
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

I've seen videos where people gently use shaving razors on sweaters to get rid of pilling and it seems to work well. I'm not sure how well it would work on lycra but maybe you can try that method until you can replace the tail skin?

deviantArt
    Etsy
    (Now offering custom tail designs!)

Here is the fluke tip where it is the worst

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    There are shavers specifically for this. Go to amazon and search for

battery+operated+fuzz+remover
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Took a look on the inside of the fluke, and I can see little rivets from where I guess the fabric has been pulled out with the pilling? Bit concerned about using a shaver on it now

My FinFun tail has been doing this also.
    Mermaid Mikayla

Since it looks like the piling is not everywhere, it's not caused by water reacting with the fabric. it must be caused by the fabric touching rough surfaces, like rocks or sand or pool bottom or pool deck...and touching causes micro-snags that lead to the fuzzy pilling. That's why it is worst at the edges.

Sorry that is not a solution but at least you can be aware that these don't last forever specifically because tails don't like to touch solid objects.