Thread: Today I told my family that I'm going to be a mermaid

Junior Member Euro Pod Alaw ferch Tonnau's Avatar

Today I told my family that I'm going to be a mermaid

So I came out as a mermaid to my family today... I've actually been telling them for a while but my dad and my brothers thought it was a joke and my mum only kinda knew. So today I explained to my parents that I'm actually serious about wanting to get a tail and how I'm going to get a monofin after my exams. They took it really well. My dad was bemused but he is fine with me doing mermaiding ( although he still thinks it's a but weird). He even suggested that I do it with my friends but I'm not ready to tell them yet.
    I'm really happy though. I've not had a great week but today has been a good day. I don't usually share bits of my life but I thought I'd share this because I know telling family can be a problem.
    Anyone else had a similar experience?
    Call me Ally

Congrats! Well I've always been crafty and a dreamer so when I started making a mermaid tail no one thought much of it. My mom actually helped me save for a sewing machine! Once I really got into a hobby and they saw it was more than a one-time craft, I of course got the whole "but you do realize you aren't actually a mermaid...right?"
    After six years everyone is still cool with it.

Trying to tell "friends" back in sixth grade was a different story but we all know how that goes down
    Im a junior now and I made a real friend at school for the first time in what feels like forever and she thinks it's the coolest thing. So to any other young met out there going through trouble when wanting to share you passion, it really does get easier.
    she believed she could, so she did
    formerly known as Kalani

Well, my parents and brother have always known I've always loved mermaids, and I love swimming, and I have a collection of Ariel shirts, so they are used to that. However, when I was saving money for my very first tail at eighteen, I didn't tell anyone what I was ordering. Then when it came, I tried it on in the house, and showed it to them. I remember my mom giving me a weird look, and the initial impression that I got from my parents was that they weren't sure if I could even swim in it and thought it was weird. Granted, I was 18 and about to go off to college, so I felt I was "adult" enough and could make my own decision about it. But, I also practiced the dolphin kick without tail in the pool too. One weekend we all went to a lake and I swam in it and proved to them that I could do it. Over the years they've seen me swim in a mermaid tail in pools and know that I can do it, so they became used to the idea. Now my mom seems to think it's neat. My friends have always thought it's cool, and they already know me as a girl who calls herself a mermaid, so knowing my personality, they think it's perfectly fine. But the main thing was, I was able to prove to my parents that I could do it and do it safely.

I think you'll be fine. Of course, if you're younger than 18, it's always good and important to have your parents' permission/approval to swim in a tail, but it sounds like you do. So I think you'll be just fine.
    Last edited by Mermaid Shelby; 04-26-2017 at 10:45 PM.
    These shallow waters never met what I needed. I'm letting go, a deeper dive.
    Eternal silence of the sea, I'm breathing, alive. Faded - Alan Walker

COngrats! However, this is an issue I face in the furry fandom as well. Liking mermaids, mermen, and all sorts of merfolk isn't a big deal. It's not really something you need to come out as, it's just something you like. And the more casual/smaller a deal you can make it, the more normally your interests here will be as a result. It sounds like they took it well! Good luck with getting a monofin, and tail swimming, and all that fun stuff! I'm still hidden with my interest in merfolk, it's not really socially acceptable for guys to be interested in it. But I do do maille armor right now! And so I wait until I'm moved out, and go to college.
    Proud Merman, Eaglescout, DIYer, and lover of nature

Senior Member Pod of New England MermanJamie's Avatar
    OMG, I remember we talked before, and I'm so happy for you. I'm still waiting until I'm confident enough to come out as a merman, but that won't be for a while. My bro still makes fun of me for being a brony. I wish I could go back to my younger self, as I wasn't so fretful back then, and would say anything I wanted to. I know I said it in my first post, but I'm worried about my bro, my dad, and my Christian nanny. My sister would probably be fine, she's like a child-at-heart even though she's four years older than me, but I can't reiterate how happy I am for you. I'm glad we met earlier this year, and I wish I had your spirit, and the guts to tell my family.

I just told them about it, it was no real problem at all.
    Maybe it's a bit different here in austria. Even your sex is not important (it's no problem to be a merman here - at least nobody looks strange at me or insults me but some ask if it is easy/hard to swim with my tail). Could it be a cultural issue?

OK first I'd like to say thanks for being a positive and encouraging community. I am planning to get my first tail in July after my exams.Jamie- You said we've met but I think you have me confused with someone else. Unfortunately I've never met another member of Mernetwork in real life. I know I'm not the only Ally.
    Call me Ally

I didn't mention this- I only found out about mermaiding when my dad showed my a newspaper with a picture of a mermaid school in Spain. That was two years before I joined Mernetwork so when I mentioned it again he'd forgotten
    Call me Ally