Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I received a bootleg(?) mermaid tail

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Hey Jade Spearrow! Thanks for showing us this! I think it could be a great thing to make a warning video about this! People might be tempted to buy because of the price, but turned off when you show all the issues with it. Its really sad that Finfolk is getting ripped off like this, and I am sure they would appreciate if you could point out how this bootleg isn't worth buying! The twins are great artists and it sucks that people don't have a respect for artisans who live off of their art.

Everyone else, I'm wearing my Mod Hat. Disagreement is fine. Overt condescension and personal jabs are NOT FINE. Consider this your warning. This is concerning other threads as well. Mernetwork's rules can be found Here

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Meilyn's Avatar
    Follow Meilyn On Twitter Add Meilyn on Facebook
    Follow Meilyn on Tumblr
    Please create a warning video just on the quality.
    I spent a lot of time designing that tail style and everything with Finfolk bringing it to life.

Plus the quality they have is shitty to say the least lol. I'm assuming they tried to make it as close to the exact tail as possible with the stretching of the photo which ends up in it being all skewed and stuff. Can't believe they put a logo on the fluke though.... lol

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Meilyn View Post
    Please create a warning video just on the quality.
    I spent a lot of time designing that tail style and everything with Finfolk bringing it to life.

Plus the quality they have is shitty to say the least lol. I'm assuming they tried to make it as close to the exact tail as possible with the stretching of the photo which ends up in it being all skewed and stuff. Can't believe they put a logo on the fluke though.... lol
    I was hoping you would chime in!

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Meilyn's Avatar
    Follow Meilyn On Twitter Add Meilyn on Facebook
    Follow Meilyn on Tumblr
    I heard my name being spoken �� speak thy name and I shall appear

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    finfolk doesn't make 3k on a tail. How much you think it costs to make those tails man? how much $$ you think went into figuring out how to make these? how much time?

yes, when a 'company' comes in and steals a photo to mass print, they are making more bank than the company that invests 100 of hours and 1000s of dollars into making their craft. Tail makers don't make bank on their custom silicone tails, and that is CUSTOM someone's one of a kind item.

based on the comments coming from Mortimer this year I feel like he's just here to troll, I mean it's unsurprising he dismissed what happened at mermania since according to his facebok he's friends with the people who did it.
    Last edited by AniaR; 04-27-2017 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meilyn View Post
    I heard my name being spoken �� speak thy name and I shall appear
    :casually puts away summoning tools:
    The SeaGlass Siren

Pod of New England
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel
    ok ok ok. fist off the Mermainia thing, I only commented because you were buying overly dramatic saying you got PTSD from dealing with whoever it was that caused the commotion, veterans from Vietnam like my granpapa can have PTSD from REAL traumatic experiences not some MER-drama at a convention. second don't call me a troll I don't know what it means but i don't like it, if I have them on Facebook is because I tried to have as many merpeople in there as possible I don't even know which one is "THEM". GIRL I know how much time goes in to tail making cause I've been making my own so no argument there. AND BASED ON MY COMENTS THIS YEAR???? before I commented on that most of the 400 comments I made where on my personal tail making thread so that wont go.

Here's the thing about BOOTLEG, when you infer that the item (the fabric tail) is the brand that's being {Finfolk Productions} copied and these Chucky people aint saying that this tail is a genuine Finfolk tail so it isn't technically bootlegging nothing!

Also Seaglass, WHO AM I? I am Marinus Mortimer nice to virtually meet you. BABY is a word I say ALOT, yes I know shes NOT MY BABY that's not what I meant when I said "its called a hustle baby" I quoted that from the fox in zootopia which describes how i am, just a FOX. "Misogynistic" take that shit back cause i am not by any means Misogynistic i grew up with only a mother for all my 4 siblings i watched her struggle every day to feed us i have a deep respect for all women out there so if you don't personally know me or my personality don go calling me names you hearddd."It doesn't hurt me and therefore it doesnt hurt anybody else." What flawed logic." i never said that i said {This product could never compare to Finfolk work and therefore can't actually steal any more than mere pocket change it can't hurt no one} so get your facts straight before you come at my neck...!!!

oh and i did not comment to start some type of drama i cemmented what i consider to be my opinion and i can voice it as many times as i want if yall don't like it then go somewhere yourself i live in America and its my constitutional right to say my opinion just like yall can voice yall opinions its fine by me.

I GUES A TROLL HAS BEEN BORN...
    Last edited by Marinus Mortimer; 04-27-2017 at 03:54 PM.

Hi random dude I don't know. I have diagnosed PTSD, seeing how I am a victim of child abuse, and several violent near death experiences. It's not like I haven't been talking about it the entire time I've been on mernetwork. I am sorry that you seem to think PTSD only applies to soldiers, this is a common misconception. You can literally google "is PTSD only for veterans" or look up the current diagnostic manual. There's nothing dramatic about it, I was attacked all year long, threatened, black mailed, and then 3 assaults at the convention, and naturally all those things brought back issues from my abusive childhood, which all culminated when I came home and that abusive parent died suddenly, and I had to sit with them while they did. I know it may be too complex a thing for your brain to understand, but maybe try. I'm not sure if you think it's just online drama or what, but some of those mermaids causing issues have gone to people's home unannounced and harassed family members. It's so much more than a little forum drama. Really, one of those things that if you have no idea about, you're not really in a space to have an opinion! Did you even pay attention to the fact none of us actually brought this to mernetwork? if we were just trying to be dramatic it would be all over here months ago when it happened. instead it wasn't explained until someone else brought it up.

I think it speaks volumes, the things you decide to post dramatically/troll about, and I don't think it's a coincidence, honestly. Because I have seen this pattern time and time again, having been around in this community for 9 years. I mean let's see, quiet generally keep to your own threads then all of a sudden dismissing two serious things in a very dramatic way in a small space of time involving the same groups of people?

there's a difference between commenting your opinion, and then intentionally posting something baiting to get a dramatic reaction. If you haven't noticed, plenty of people here are capable of posting opinions with out passively aggressively suggesting someone is lying, or dismissing pain people have been caused
    Last edited by AniaR; 04-27-2017 at 05:55 PM.

Wes girl I love you but I have to do this. Forgive me I'll take the mn ban.

First of all, Mortimer, it wasn't drama. People were actually ASSAULTED, and the drama was the harassment leading up to the 4 assaults. You'd know that if you had read Raina's response in its entirety instead of dismissing the entire thing. Also there were literally so many witnesses that came forward via fb live. Unless you're an actual certified doc or therapist, Don't dismiss her and call her over dramatic - she literally explained in the other thread she had to go to therapy and she was diagnosed by a Real certified therapist that she does have PTSD. it's not surprising you wouldnt care about the harm done to people at mermania, since you're friends with the people who did it.

Second, Semantics about bootlegging aside, theft is still theft. That tail design is stil meilyns tail design by finfolk. Does not make it excusable. Others have reach out to chucky a few times before that he can easily come up with his own designs and make his own tails without having to steal designs because it looks like he has enough photoshop skill to do so. He can still hustle but donit the honest way (fabric printing tail design is ingenious).

also on the topic of the usage of baby - his character is literally a misogynist until the end of the movie so if you watched the zootopia movie in its entirety you'd realize that acting like a jerk will get you nowhere. You calling laronda baby is still disrespectful and mysoginist regardless of what family background you have. Would you like your single mother to be called "baby" by male strangers? So nope. I won't take it back because that was very misogynistic.

Furthermore, you said in your previous post that you didn't care if people stole your tail designs, and you attached your feelings to other business and how they should feel when it comes to theft. In essence what you were saying is finfolk shouldn't either because theyre better quality. When in fact people do care because their art is theirs, not something that can be slapped on cheap fabric to be worn. My facts seem pretty straight to me.

Finally, being an American with constitutional rights has nothing with you deciding to be a complete jerk dismissing the entire mermania incident as nothing more than just drama, dismissing Raina's ptsd, and being a mysoginist. You're still acting like a huge jerk.
    The SeaGlass Siren

I don't really expect Morti here to change his mind on things, but for anyone else interested in learning more:

How dealing with narcissistic abuse and people can cause PTSD and C-PTSD:
    https://afternarcissisticabuse.wordp...sorder-c-ptsd/
    http://www.jenimawter.com/victims-of...ield-jan-2012/

And then published medical studies:
    The psychological processing of traumatic experience: Rorschach patterns in PTSD

Child abuse and neglect and the brain—a review

Cumulative interpersonal traumas and social support as risk and resiliency factors in predicting PTSD and depression among inner‐city women

Published book about how chronic harassment can cause PTSD:
    https://bullyonline.org/old/successu...s/ptsdcaus.htm
    Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: the invisible injury, 2005 edition
    David Kinchin
    ISBN 0952912147

http://www.psychologicalharassment.com/ptsd.htm

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/malo...b_3726336.html

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ter-near-death

and I mean it's literally on the CDC for outside of military. but what do all these doctors and scientists know? We're just cry babies right Mort? Come live my life and see how well you do. https://www.cdc.gov/childrensmentalhealth/ptsd.html

Pod of New England
    I guess that being a jerk is my Nature.

I apologize for being a jerk guys, you've got good points which I hadn't considered Raina and Seaglass if any of my posts where interpreted that way again I apologize I spoke my thoughts my mind won't change on the topic of bootleg though.

And I myself had a very traumatic childhood being sexually abused at a young age so I know what PTSD is ok, I know it's not only for veterans in not stupid thanks.

Pod of New England

I received a bootleg(?) mermaid tail

Also I did not come in this thread coming after any one I was the first one to reply here. Just saying. And I'm not friends with the people of the mermania incident they are simply in my fb friends list I don't comunícate with 90% of the people on my Facebook.
    Last edited by Marinus Mortimer; 04-27-2017 at 05:47 PM.
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

Mortimer, a troll is someone online who goes around spreading anger, hate and staring fights.
    It seems to me that a lot of this anger and miscommunication going on between threads comes from a limited understanding of what mental illness is and how it can come about. PTSD from combat is the most publicly known but is not the only way to end up with PTSD.
    I have a PTSD diagnosis and I have never been in combat. Heh here's the kicker for you, I have friends with PTSD from combat who know my back story and they would rather live through their combat than what I've lived through. So you cannot truly judge someone else's trauma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... ok so if you have ptsd from childhood trauma and know other people can get ptsd from other than war....why did you dismiss Raina's trauma from mermania...?
    The SeaGlass Siren

Pod of New England
    Yeah I in no way intended to start any drama I simply said it was not a big deal which is my opinion and some people decided to come for my life but no biggie I was ignorant of Raina personal issues even though I guess she's expressed them over the past years I don't really pay attention to most things here but the tail making section for reference and guidance in my own tail making journey.

Again I apologize if what I posted may have come off as instigating or rude it was not my intention I was just voicing my opinion and people have the right to disagree with me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

Pod of New England
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaGlass Siren View Post
    ... ok so if you have ptsd from childhood trauma and know other people can get ptsd from other than war....why did you dismiss Raina's trauma from mermania...?
    Because I did not know about her personal life issues.

Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

I accept your apology, thank you.

Pod of New England
    Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    I accept your apology, thank you.
    I'm glad, sorry for my ignorance.

Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

...ok. But she explained everything and the situation in the huge paragraph you dismissed. You didn't read it?
    The SeaGlass Siren

It's fine I accept your apology as well.
    The SeaGlass Siren