Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I received a bootleg(?) mermaid tail

Quote Originally Posted by Selkish View Post
    So I've seen a couple threads about these bootlegged tails now. Do we know what Finfolk had said about them? I've seen a bit of invocation of their name and ideas of what they *might* be thinking but nothing official from them.

Sent from my shellphone using Tapatalk
    People have been linking them on their Facebook Finfolk Pod Squad group and their responses indicate that they are upset about it but there isn't much they can do because the companies are outside of the US.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Finfolk is planning on making their own fabric tails soon.

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid_Izzy's Avatar
    My lovely home in the mountains...(aka Southwest VA)
    Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    Finfolk is planning on making their own fabric tails soon.
    I thought I heard about that! I can't wait to see their creations!

Sent from my ShellPhone using Tapatalk

I see both sides of this argument.
    But regarding the TERRIBLE, what looks like flippers and not a monofin, in there is it possible you can remove those and put a monofin in it? It was gifted, while its wrong to steal others art I would still use it and trash it, it's not like you bought it knowing you were ripping someone's art off. If you can put in a monofin that you know if good I say use it as a practice or "for fun" tail.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod lynsea's Avatar
    This thread is over a year old...
    “I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.”
    Anaïs Nin

Junior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Quote Originally Posted by Marinus Mortimer View Post
    Oh wow that's a big fluke! I don't think getting "bootleg" stuff is bad because if you can't afford the real thing then mine as well get bootleg I mean I've been buying bootleg movies and cds my whole life it can't really hurt the tail maker because it's not like all Finfolk costumers are going to jump to get this item. It's called a hustle and that's the way some people survive nowadays. I don't think you'll drown as long as you are a good swimmer and know your limits, you should definitely try it an a pool and don't worry your not a horrible person I know most of us have bought something bootleg atleast once in our lives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    These tails are actually not good. They are very poor quality and very dangerous to swim in. They are not safe to swim in and these people make a load of money by stealing designs and printing it on cheap fabric.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    I hate bootlegs. So much. When I see kids at the local pools swimming in them I feel so...livid. like what can I tell parents? Are they REALLY going to listen? Are they more concerned about safety, or saving money? They tend to be the ones you can get on Amazon that are knock off fin fun or aquarius monofins. I WANT to explain the tails are not safe and there are better ones for their money out there. But will they listen? The thought of a parent blowing off my concerns for their children because they are legitimately bad tail really rubs me the wrong way.

Junior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Quote Originally Posted by Trade Winds View Post
    I hate bootlegs. So much. When I see kids at the local pools swimming in them I feel so...livid. like what can I tell parents? Are they REALLY going to listen? Are they more concerned about safety, or saving money? They tend to be the ones you can get on Amazon that are knock off fin fun or aquarius monofins. I WANT to explain the tails are not safe and there are better ones for their money out there. But will they listen? The thought of a parent blowing off my concerns for their children because they are legitimately bad tail really rubs me the wrong way.
    I think you should always try to talk to them. Most parents are not aware that these tails are dangerous and if you're new, you're fooled easily. I was new once, and I wanted to buy a knockoff too, not because I support it, but because I thought it was a good quality tail. But then, accidentally, I stumbled upon a video, saying that they are knock off tails and that you shouldn't buy them.
    What I wanted to say, is that most people are unaware of the dangers and may be relieved when you tell them.

I purchased a bootleg tail just over 2 years ago, styled like a FinFun (I also own several of those). While all the fabrics (tail, slipcover, footpockets) are considerably thinner, as is the fin blade, it's only terrible in the sense that it wouldn't get you very far in the water. I used the slipcover when my official FF tore and slid the blade in alongside my FF monofin for an extra push, and that's about the only decent use you'll get out of them!

I'd let them know about FF/SunTails because they're likely spending ~$50 for a knockoff and a kids' set can go on sale for as little as roughly $70 and last way longer!

Sent from my SM-G975U using MerNetwork mobile app
    Twilight darkens, yet there in the shade,
    Lies a glimmering shadow, the wild mermaid;

As night draws ever closer, there's a choice to be made--
    Will you stay as you are, or be delivered to the waves?

Laumina the Storm Siren

Instagram: mermaidwhisperofficial | Facebook: Mermaid Whisper | YouTube: Mermaid Whisper

Yesterday I talked to a girl who bought a 'silicon' tail on Wish, then it arrived at her home, she noticed that it was latex, which she was very allergic to. She reported it to Wish, got all her money back and the seller was kicked of Wish.

Junior Member Euro Pod HaleyTremont's Avatar
    Hi guys !

Can you tell me if this designs are bootleg :

Name:  01.png
Views: 543
Size:  265.0 KB Name:  02.png
Views: 605
Size:  359.1 KB

I see this a lot on AliExpress and I can't find them anywhere else. For the second, the quality seems very good on people pictures (not pixelated like the FinFun or FinFolk bootleg)

The fluke on the section picture seems to be a ripoff of finfolks lotus fluke. The first one is fine though, you just might have a bit of an issue swimming with it

Sent from my SM-A205W using Tapatalk
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid_Izzy's Avatar
    My lovely home in the mountains...(aka Southwest VA)
    Quote Originally Posted by HaleyTremont View Post
    Hi guys !

Can you tell me if this designs are bootleg :

Name:  01.png
Views: 543
Size:  265.0 KB Name:  02.png
Views: 605
Size:  359.1 KB

I see this a lot on AliExpress and I can't find them anywhere else. For the second, the quality seems very good on people pictures (not pixelated like the FinFun or FinFolk bootleg)
    I agree with Nerdmaid Faith, the first tail looks like a death trap to swim in.

Sent from my ShellPhone using MerNetwork mobile app