Thread: Making my own Tank!?

Question Making my own Tank!?

Hey everyone!

Its been forever since I was active on here due to the loss of my best friend and mermaid business partner back in October and a sudden move in December. BUT! All that is in the past and my wonderful boyfriend has decided that he's going to be buying me my very own Basic Silicone Mertailor Tail and I'm ready to dive headfirst back into mermaiding!

I had this idea the other day that having my own tank would be awesome, but the cost involved is crazy! I was, however, able to find a company who makes formed acrylic tubes up to 5 FEET in diameter, any height, and an inch thick. I inquired on price, but I also wanted to see if ya'll thought it was doable and safe, or if I have bubbles in my brain!

Thanks in advanced, I've missed this awesome community and am glad to be getting my fins wet again(:
    She is a MERMAID! But approach her with caution, for her mind swims at depth where most would drown.

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Thats cool! I think that could work in theory. I would be most worried about what you would anchor it to though. Tanks can be.... complicated and yikes.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I know in the early days a few mers tried this and ended up having the tank break while they were in it. if you have any friends who are engineers might be cool idea to run your plans by them

Sadly I don't know any engineers/: The company I am looking at ordering through, however, says the tubes work as fishtanks and have pictures of them full of water as an example.
    She is a MERMAID! But approach her with caution, for her mind swims at depth where most would drown.

The issue is the place where you attach the bottom to something. Big tanks are SUPER HEAVY. You would have to have a very solid base in order to make it safe. And what you put it on has to be sturdy too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking about making it "dunk tank style" where it would lay flat and empty for transit, but then the trailer would stand on end and the tank would be filled with water. For use on only flat, hard surfaces of course.

I think that's the safest option but I would still worry about how you would glue the tube to the base. I've looked it up and it seems tricky. You really wouldnt want that seam to fail! Or would it come with a bottom already attached?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk