Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: monofin =/= swimming aid

Thank you so much! You've been a great help.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania The Water Phoenix's Avatar
    I'm always happy to help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Be the pilot of your dreams

**The Water Phoenix: A Western Australian mer**

Instagram: thephoenixmer

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kane View Post
    Second this! :3
    I 3rd this. Make sure you are comfortable in the water and using normal fins before moving forward with the monofin. It also might be a good idea to have someone with you for the first couple times just incase.

Safetly first!

Swim like a mermaid for beginners has step by step instructions and suggestions on monofin if you don't already have one! Good luck!

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 12.04.05 PM.png
Views: 172
Size:  382.9 KB
    EverythingMermaid.com

[IMG]file:///Users/mollyknye/Downloads/ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif[/IMG]

Thank you so much for the article! See the thing is I love the water and swimming in it like a mermaid is a dream come true, (I'm sure you hear that from 99% of the Mercommunity so here's one more.) I was looking at Monfins and the one that was suggested to me (the foil from finfun -Might have switched that-) looks like it's good for beginners. I'm a strong swimmer I'm even under the water more often then I am above xD. Anyways, I was wondering if there were any monofins you would suggest for a beginner.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid_Artemis View Post
    Thank you so much for the article! See the thing is I love the water and swimming in it like a mermaid is a dream come true, (I'm sure you hear that from 99% of the Mercommunity so here's one more.) I was looking at Monfins and the one that was suggested to me (the foil from finfun -Might have switched that-) looks like it's good for beginners. I'm a strong swimmer I'm even under the water more often then I am above xD. Anyways, I was wondering if there were any monofins you would suggest for a beginner.
    Hi Mermaid Artemis!
    Nice to meet you

I actually really like Suntails for a beginner monofin. It has more of a aqua sock than straps which are more comfortable on the feet. The fabric on the tail is thick and pretty easy to put on. The monofin is medium size which I like because it gets you through the water quick. If you are a strong swimmer and would stay a medium fin would be fine. If you want to read more on Suntails check out my review! PLUS it has a 10% discount code to help on the price.

Suntails Mermaid Tail Review

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 12.50.34 PM.png
Views: 123
Size:  525.5 KB
    EverythingMermaid.com

That sounds awesome! Thank you. The tail is very pretty . One last question if you don't mind. How do you determine what size Monfin you need? I know this one is sock-like so it's easy to take on and off and last for years. But for future reference how do you pick the size for one?

Okay, guys. I just have to jump in here.

Before I started mermaiding, I loved baths and wading, but I’d never really learned to swim. I never learned because I refused to put my head under the water when my mom had me take swim lessons.

I started with a monofin. I was aware that the motion required for a monofin was very different than bi-fins, and had no interest in learning the other way. I had a spotter, got myself a Foil, and for the first time felt like I could swim and be comfortable in the water. For me, it is most DEFINITELY a swim aid. I can’t swim without it. Couldn’t swim on top of the water, couldn’t propel myself enough to get under the water.

Do I recommend people have no swimming experience before strapping on a tail? No. I was floaty and hyper-aware of what I was doing. But saying you absolutely shouldn’t start training with a monofin...if that were the case, I wouldn’t have started mermaiding those 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid_Artemis View Post
    That sounds awesome! Thank you. The tail is very pretty . One last question if you don't mind. How do you determine what size Monfin you need? I know this one is sock-like so it's easy to take on and off and last for years. But for future reference how do you pick the size for one?
    This might be long-winded; it’s 4am, forgive me.

I always use men’s shoe sizes for my monofin size. Typically, women’s shoe sizes are 2 up from men’s, number-wise. I wear an 11/12 in women’s, I’ve worn a 9-10 1/2 in men’s. So if a monofin says it’s good for 8-10 women’s sizes but 7-10 in men’s, I know it will still fit.

I would definitely recommend checking reviews and seeing if it “runs large/small” or is true to size, that will really help.

I wear a medium in my finis foil and my competitor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Twilight darkens, yet there in the shade,
    Lies a glimmering shadow, the wild mermaid;

As night draws ever closer, there's a choice to be made--
    Will you stay as you are, or be delivered to the waves?

Laumina the Storm Siren

Instagram: mermaidwhisperofficial | Facebook: Mermaid Whisper | YouTube: Mermaid Whisper

Hi Mermaid Artemis!

I second Mermaid Whisper below.

For Suntails they only really have two sizes. A child and Adult. For the future, monfins usually come in sizes that cover 3 foot sizes. Because they usually come in Mens sizes you should go smaller. For Example 5-7, 8-10, 11-13. I am a 7.5 so I go with the fins that range from 5-7.

I hope that helps!
    EverythingMermaid.com

I agree with Mermaid Whisper, above. My foot size is 10½ women's ( = 8½ men's), and the medium Finis Foil fits just fine. To prevent chafing, I wear a pair of
    low-cut white cotton athletic socks to prevent chafing.