Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Mermaid Movie?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Member Undisclosed Pod

Favourite Mermaid Movie?

I was just thinking about Rusalochka today (the 1976 Russian film) and I think it may be my favourite mer-related movie so far. I personally love the music: the recurring theme is quite hauntingly beautiful.
    What mer-movies are your favourites?

Senior Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Clara's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Clara On Twitter Add Mermaid Clara on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Clara's Youtube Channel
    I love the movie Mermaids (2003) it was a made for TV movie and I've re-found it on YouTube recently and I'm in love with it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV5qErd4jzE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mermaid Clara; 05-11-2017 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Added link to first part
    *Previously know as KellyMermaid*

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Oooh, I don't think I've seen that one. I'll definitely have to check it out!

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Rusalochka is a great movie, I loved the music so much I composed several pieces around the tune, which I now use for my performances.
    My favourite mer movie would probably be Mala morska vila (the Czech version from the 70's with the Safrankova sisters).
    The mermaids are depicted as waterspirits though, without tails, so for a "tailed" movie I'd say my favourite is She Creature.

The new chinese movie is also pretty rad, it's sad and funny and profound and a whole lot of fun.

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Wow, that sounds beautiful! What instruments do you enjoy composing for?

Yes, I loved the make-up they did in Mala Morska Vila: the blues were such a nice colour. I'll have to check out She Creature as well!

I quite enjoyed the new Chinese movie as well. My sister and I definitely had quite a good laugh over a few of the scenes, yet it was, as you put it, profound enough to have an enjoyable depth to it. Definitely a gooder!

Junior Member Euro Pod
    Undisclosed Pod
    I like She Creature most

Member Undisclosed Pod
    I finished watching Mermaids and She Creature, and I have to say I loved them both!
    It was very neat to find out that the lady who played Diana in Mermaids did a voice on L.A. Noire. I also nerded out at her hairclip a little bit, admittedly. :P
    She Creature had such an inexplicable atmosphere about it, and was so immersive and fun to watch! Thanks for sharing your favourite movies with me; I really enjoyed watching them!

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    The Chinese film The Mermaid! I'm not normally into romcoms but I really enjoyed that one. Maybe because it's not riddled with the cliches and often problematic tropes that are common in American romcoms.

Disney's The Little Mermaid is a classic, of course. I also really like Aquamarine, it's cheesy, but it's a nice, solid film.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Delphinidae View Post
    The Chinese film The Mermaid! I'm not normally into romcoms but I really enjoyed that one. Maybe because it's not riddled with the cliches and often problematic tropes that are common in American romcoms.
    I loved The Mermaid! It's probably my favourite, just because the Stephen Chow-style madcap comedy is different from anything I've seen before. Another big reason for me is that they don't use the "tail turns into legs when the mermaid dries out" trope that mermaid movies and TV shows have used ever since Splash hit theatres in 1984.

LOL, in typical Stephen Chow style, Shan gets a body modification by having her fin split up the middle so she can fit the two halves into moon boots and when she needs to get around fast, she uses a skateboard. And one scene I really liked was Shan pipe riding to get down to the merpeople's home in the shipwreck.

I'm also a sucker for movies where the bad guy turns good, and he marries Shan and starts using his money to make the environment better.
    Last edited by AptaMer; 06-14-2017 at 05:01 PM.

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Yes! Adding that "no legs" element was super creative and it gave it such a fun uniqueness! I laughed my fins off at the scene in the police station where they're doing various sketches of "half-fish half-human" haha!
    Last edited by Galilee; 06-09-2017 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Galilee View Post
    I laughed my fins off at the scene in the police station where they're doing various sketches of "half-fish half-human" haha!
    Click on the little CC square if the subtitles don't show.

Last edited by AptaMer; 07-01-2017 at 06:27 PM.

Mermen count too right?

Mine has always been Thirteenth Year. I saw it when I was very young, it's probably what kicked off my interest in merpeople (and made me wish very hard I too would grow fins when I turned thirteen xD )

A (hilariously bad quality) trailer in case anybody doesn't know it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb74tVTW_2I )

. .the Stephen Chow movie was hilarious, though. I love any movie that can avoid the usual mer stereotypes. Plus, seeing merfolk of all ages and genders is always rad.

Triton Mahtlinnie of Puget Sound
    Facebook / Tumblr

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Ohhh my goodness; I remember the Thirteenth Year! I'm totally gonna have to revisit that one to see what it's like to watch it now that I'm older.

It definitely is refreshing to see a more inclusive, diverse cast for merfolk! Hopefully we'll be able to see more of that with future mer-movies.
    ​Formerly known as "DominaDomino"

I love The Thirteenth Year, I thought it was a great movie for merguys- I mean in that it actually features one.

Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid comes really close to being my favorite. I love the actress, Ann Blyth (watch her in Mildred Pierce as the scheming, spoiled daughter and you will see the range she has), and I love the tail style. I like small flukes. (See her in my userpic, being held by Glenn Strange, who was playing Frankenstein's Monster in an Abbott and Costello film, because Karloff was otherwise engaged at the time.) And as much as I love William Powell, his character has just enough of a creeper bent to it that I find him off-putting. It's not much, I mean he really is overwhelmingly decent to her, but there's this degree of smarm I cannot take, and all while married. Still, he's a wonderful actor, and I'd watch him in just about anything. (esp The Thin Man series and My Man Godfrey.) (I was raised on classic film, and sometimes it shows! Happily!) Also, the scenes of her in the pool were filmed at Weeki, and that right there is just the most amazing set and I want one of my own. And finally, the scene in which she attacks a woman and bites her ankle cracks me up. Not so entirely innocent. lol

But. My favorite has to be Splash. For so many reasons. The tail is amazing, yes. It has a special meaning to me personally, because of things that were going on in my life at the time and the part it played, so there's that. It was also a total thrill to finally have a mermaid movie made in modern era- I was 14 when it came out, and there were precious few mermaid productions of anything at the time. Just Miranda, Mad About Men, Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid, and Night Tide, and occasional bits here and there, like the mermaid in Beach Blanket Bingo.... but all these you had to luck out on and catch on tv, as VHS and Betamax hadn't been around long and were still very expensive, and laser discs were very rare and had so few titles, and my family had none of these devices.

Madison is smart, funny, and adapts quickly. She's innocent about our world, but not stupid at all. I love her sexuality, that she's without shame and simply loves and lusts for him in a whole, absolute way that owes no apologies. I like the use of the full moon in her lore, I like that her kiss keeps Alan safe underwater. My personal theory is that the reason he could never fall in love is because they met as children and he was bonded to her- a bit of her mermaid magic- and if they hadn't come into each other's lives again, I don't think he'd have ever loved anyone else. Freddie never fell in love with anyone, and is so smarmy, but there are no excuses made for it, and he owns it. In the end, he's 100% loyal to his brother and seems to have more idea of the value of love than Alan does, and that final scene where he's on the tank, using the data tapes for a fishing line is so great. I love that Alan tells us she can tell what he's feeling but we never really see evidence of that prior- it's something he realizes about her. In the end, Alan is willing to sacrifice everything to be with her, which is perfect for a faery tale sort of story like Splash is. I have heard people talk about how much is wrong with the movie but then they are referring to things entirely as if 'this is how it happens in real life' while talking about a MERMAID MOVIE. It's not real life, it's a fantasy.

Since I first saw it, I still say, "On top of the refrigerator?" when referring to any bevy of places at once, because of the scene where Alan mentions it while she's in the bathroom. "After the cab, the elevator, and on top of the refrigerator, you were shy?"

Quote Originally Posted by deepblue View Post
    See her in my userpic, being held by Glenn Strange, who was playing Frankenstein's Monster
    Name:  ann+blyth+glenn+strange+mermaid+frankenstein+el+cine+de+solaris.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  70.3 KB

You've gotta admit. Frankenstein makes the coolest mertender ever!

oh thats a tuff question....i love both mermaid movies / tv !!! i love the 13th year it was amazing that is prob my favorite! since i was adopted i secretly wished i would grow fins. i also love splash, aquamarine, the little mermaid 1,2,&3 ! i love the episodes of charmed where there are mermaids, h2o just add water, mako mermaids, (personally cant wait for the splash remake featuring channing tattum as the merman )

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Yes, that tail she's wearing looks gorgeous! I love the shine of it! I'm gonna have to add Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid to my watch list. I remember seeing William Powell in How to Marry A Millionaire, and it'd be great to see him in another role. I'll pay close attention to the scenes as well! I love looking at the creative backdrops that filmmakers can come up with, whether it be designing a set or picking a nice location. It's crazy how much they can transform a location with props too!

I remember when my Dad showed me Splash. Although he mainly showed it to me because it was a Tom Hanks movie (my family likes Tom Hanks quite a bit), I was rather focused on Madison, and it really sparked my interest in mermaiding. The setting of the movie was just so fun and it brought a lot of humorous elements as well (where else can you see a mermaid exercising to those good ol' 80's work-out videos?).

I think you really hit the nail on the head with your description of Madison's character! She's so well balanced in her innocence and her femininity and her personality itself just really gives off those mermaid vibes. I like your theory about them being bonded as children as well! It would explain the issues he had with his previous relationship, as well as the instant connection he had with Madison. I'm so glad that they added that depth to Freddie's character. They could have easily just made him a total sleaze, but the connection he had to Alan was a really nice touch. It gets my goat when people criticize fantasy movies using real life criteria as well. The whole point of fantasy movies is to offer a cool, alternative world to ours, and I think Splash executed it magnificently.

Haha, I think that makes a good phrase. Sounds like it could add quite the interesting twist to an otherwise regular conversation!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's hard to pick just one movie / TV show for sure! Especially if you have one favourite one week, and a different one the next! I don't think I actually ever watched the third The Little Mermaid, so I guess I'll have to get on that :O! I remember absolutely adoring H2O when I was younger and have re-watched it a couple of times. I was really excited when I saw Mako Mermaids on Netflix! I'm looking forward to the Splash remake as well: it'll be really neat to see all of the choices they made to put a different spin on it while still being inspired by the original.

the charmed mermaids are awesome to even thow its only like 2 or 3 episodes !!!

Member Undisclosed Pod
    I'll have to add Charmed to my watch list and have a look out for those mermaid episodes!

Quote Originally Posted by Galilee View Post
    I'll have to add Charmed to my watch list and have a look out for those mermaid episodes!
    Just so you know, Phoebe became a mermaid in episodes 1 & 2 of season 5