Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Silicone carbon fiber tail- Inexpensive!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KatieScottArt View Post
    By no means is this sage advice but I've had something similar happen to me with bubbles. Its a VERY temporary solution but it just depends on how many replicas you're going to make. I literally just filled the holes with more oil based clay and smoothed them down since the silicone will easily release from the oil clay. I've also used hot glue as a temporary filler for areas in the mold that didn't actually get covered by resin all the way. Again, super temporary and not a great idea for longevity, but it worked for me! Haha.
    I like your thinking. I just tried using bondo, and bondo and I don’t get along I’m most likely only going to make 2 replicas from this mold so I’m going to take your suggestion with the clay. The thought of learning how to use ANOTHER material just for a very tiny step is a real headache for me, and like you said.. Clay releases just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork

Gonna see what the fluke looks like in a few hours!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    I'm just puzzled as to why you didn't try a small test before using a new medium you've never worked with before on a finished sculpt that you poured so much time and effort into.

Fins crossed the fluke comes out perfect!

Is the fabric supposed to be embedded into the silicone?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    North Pacific Pod

Oregon. Home of bipolar weather and rain in 30 degree weather.
    Add SIF on Facebook
    Visit SIF's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by .MermaidSophia. View Post

Not gonna lie I’ll be super excited to be done with this mold. God resin is so confusing when you’ve never used it before for one, after properly cleaning it, I found holes EVERYWHERE. There’s places where the mold must have peeled up in between pours or something because now I’m finding messed up spots that don’t make any sense at all!

Just look at this hole! How am I supposed to fix that! I put so much work into this sculpt and now it’s not even translating. Which artistic god did I offend...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wax? Is the silicon hot during curing?

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    When you're caught and find yourself tossed back,
    take advantage of the motion, and catch the next wave!

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid_Izzy's Avatar
    My lovely home in the mountains...(aka Southwest VA)
    Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    I'm just puzzled as to why you didn't try a small test before using a new medium you've never worked with before on a finished sculpt that you poured so much time and effort into.

If you are talking about her using silicone, she has before. And she tested a patch before she did. It has just been a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by .MermaidSophia. View Post
    Just made and painted a little sample of some scales. So apparently the gloss wasn't needed at all the original scales came out looking dull, but after the second coat they're so shiny...

Sent from my ShellPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    No, Izzy, I was talking about where she talks about never having used the resin before.

"Not gonna lie I’ll be super excited to be done with this mold. God resin is so confusing when you’ve never used it before for one, after properly cleaning it, I found holes EVERYWHERE. There’s places where the mold must have peeled up in between pours or something because now I’m finding messed up spots that don’t make any sense at all!
    "

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid_Izzy's Avatar
    My lovely home in the mountains...(aka Southwest VA)
    No, Izzy, I was talking about where she talks about never having used the resin before.

"Not gonna lie I’ll be super excited to be done with this mold. God resin is so confusing when you’ve never used it before for one, after properly cleaning it, I found holes EVERYWHERE. There’s places where the mold must have peeled up in between pours or something because now I’m finding messed up spots that don’t make any sense at all!
    "
    Oh, okay. I missed that.

Sent from my ShellPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

I test every mold with a little bit before I put a lot in, just in case. This time though I may have forgotten to post it oops..

And to your second question, yes. The fabric is an important part of the fluke I’m designing. Because I want it to have a thin look, the silicone on its own would be very weak. To add durability and help prevent those nasty splits that can grow so quickly, I placed polyflex over the silicone while it was still wet (I think I’m remembering the name right). The fabric doesn’t bond to the silicone but since it’s so porous, the liquid rises up through the holes and embeds the fabric in it.

First half is out! I’m so happy this phase worked out well. I really couldn’t be happier with what’s coming out of the mold. The second half is in right now with its own slice of polyflex, and just needs a little more to bring it up level with the edge... I think. I might just take it out as it is. I lifted the tip of the fluke accidentally before it finished curing and got that gummy effect, but a few hours later she seems fine..

I wrapped up the first half into a burrito to keep my puppy dog’s hair off it.

Oh wait, you meant resin Yeah I only had one shot with the resin.. so it had to all go on at once or else it would be ruined. Resin gets extremely hot as it cures and instantly melts the oil based clay I made the sculpt out of. It worked out in the end though. It wasn’t so hard to fix what went wrong and the final mold came out pretty good for a first try. Of course there was the issue of warping, but we balanced it all out before the silicone pour. The artistic god seems to have forgiven me.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    How's it going? Finished yet?
    Formerly known as ireneho

Senior Member Pod of Oceania AnnaAbyss's Avatar
    I can't wait to see the finished tail! OwO
    The fluke mold is amazing and I love the scale swatch.