Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tail Colors

I went with my birthstone, which is sapphire, which felt right to me, even though I almost chose green, and have ALWAYS been drawn to gold tails....Personally I think it would be cool though to have an earthy tone tail, since in nature female species are much plainer then the extravagant male species. I low key think it would be super cool to have an army of mermaids with brownish tails in various shades, and one merman in the center with like a rainbow fish type tail lol what a photo that would be!

Senior Member Pod of The South Rebela Hunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMermaidQuintessence View Post
    I went with my birthstone, which is sapphire, which felt right to me, even though I almost chose green, and have ALWAYS been drawn to gold tails....Personally I think it would be cool though to have an earthy tone tail, since in nature female species are much plainer then the extravagant male species. I low key think it would be super cool to have an army of mermaids with brownish tails in various shades, and one merman in the center with like a rainbow fish type tail lol what a photo that would be!
    I very much agree! It'd be even cooler if they all had similar patterns, too. Like stripes or spots, and the merman's tail was just a more colorful version of the same or similar pattern !
    'And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' - Matthew 4:19 (KJV)

Hobbyist Mermaid & Orca Enthusiast
    DeviantART || Facebook || Instagram

Hmmm, well,

What do you look like? Do you have pale skin, with blonde hair perhaps? Then I'd take a darker color such as black, or maybe royal blue or dark green.
    If you have darker skin then I'd pick light green, silver, gold or grey. But only if you like it of course.

But I'm also curious: when you picture yourself swimming as a merman, what color/pattern does your tail have? What's the first thing that comes to mind?

A color shifting tail is also on option - you should search for finfolk's premade silicone tail, there's a video of it on instagram and it's MIND. BLOWING. Finfolk and Mertailor (among others) are doing pioneering work when it comes to colorshifting/iridiscent tails!

You could also pick a theme before picking a color or pattern - such as dragon, tree, northern lights, swan, etc. One mer even designed a tail according to the flag colors of her country of heritage.

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid Lilija's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MermaidLyara View Post
    Hmmm, well,

What do you look like? Do you have pale skin, with blonde hair perhaps? Then I'd take a darker color such as black, or maybe royal blue or dark green.
    If you have darker skin then I'd pick light green, silver, gold or grey. But only if you like it of course.

But I'm also curious: when you picture yourself swimming as a merman, what color/pattern does your tail have? What's the first thing that comes to mind?

A color shifting tail is also on option - you should search for finfolk's premade silicone tail, there's a video of it on instagram and it's MIND. BLOWING. Finfolk and Mertailor (among others) are doing pioneering work when it comes to colorshifting/iridiscent tails!

You could also pick a theme before picking a color or pattern - such as dragon, tree, northern lights, swan, etc. One mer even designed a tail according to the flag colors of her country of heritage.
    Do you mean me?

MermanJamie

I too have a lot of favorite colors! I sketched so many tails with those but nothing I said “This is it!” to. I went to think outside the box… From what region is my mersona, what are my hobbies, birthstones, is my mersona from salt waters or fresh waters, what kind of person you are,…

For example:

I thought by myself how I miss my birth country wich is Finland. The flag of Finland is blue & white. My mersona is from the arctic & fresh water mer, she is a spirit that lives in the ice cold rivers. I am a really complicated person and every stripe & dot on my tail means something. The stripes represent icicles. My dots are a reference to the snow I miss so much, they are also my mer freckles.
    So there you have it. A tail designed by the flag of my birth country, my interests, personality.

Good luck with designing your tail!

Arctic_Spirit_Nixii - from Belgium

I have struggled with the same exact dilemma for so long. My tail design process has been a continuous journey for the past five years. That's why I don't have a custom tail yet! What I ended up doing was ordering a custom top for Halloween and forcing myself to stick with that color scheme since I already had the thing. I don't think you have to buy anything, just restrict yourself. It's great if you have ideas, but once you have one that you set, do not let yourself change it.
    "There has got to be more to life than just being really, really, really ridiculously good-looking."
    -Derek Zoolander

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Lilija View Post
    Do you mean me?
    Lol YEP! I followed your tail journey. I really like Scandinavia (spent quite some time in Sweden during my childhood) and liked your idea to incorporate flag colors in your tail.

Senior Member Pod of New England MermanJamie's Avatar
    Ok, so in terms of what I look like: I'm tall, and pretty much a string bean compared to my friends. Everyone calls me pale, but I'm the darkest kid in my family, lol. So I'm like slightly dark. My hair is like a weird two tone mix of light brown and dark blond, and I have my mom's hazel/amber-ish eyes. Hers were much greener than mine though. You have to be in the light to see the massive amber ring in my eyes that remind me of her every day. Whenever I picture myself, I really don't know, it's usually not something super bright, usually duller, because while I like bright colors, I don't think a bright neon tail would suit me.

I actually chose my colors based on the fact that i wanted something different i thought that i see a lot of green also i used nail polish to see how the color looks compared to my skin some colors make me look sickly and others bring out my best features now you dont have to use nail polish like me you can just use fabric or even shirts think about what colors look best on you what makes you check yourself out in the mirror for my husband thats red for me its darker colors like purple

Sent from my LGLS676 using MerNetwork mobile app

I have a bright green and blue tail. with my light skin color is good combined

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    xD I don't have a tail yet.... I'm thinking oilslick for me.

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    Mer Made Tails is actually selling an already made silicone oilslick tail. Check the photos to see it. The like to their page is here: https://www.facebook.com/mermadetails/

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kane View Post
    xD I don't have a tail yet.... I'm thinking oilslick for me.
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

My tail plan is blue with hints of gold and countershading, with a dorsal fin and side fins and a large fluke

I enjoy having my variety of tailskins, but my mersona is a darker type, and I typically gravitate towards my classic blue with black as needed

My most recent outings (MerMania and the pod meetup) had me air out my blue tang tail, but I think this is the beginning of the end for that bubbly friend. Time to shift into a bit more originality (well, as much as you can get modifying a basic colored tail).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Twilight darkens, yet there in the shade,
    Lies a glimmering shadow, the wild mermaid;

As night draws ever closer, there's a choice to be made--
    Will you stay as you are, or be delivered to the waves?

Laumina the Storm Siren

Instagram: mermaidwhisperofficial | Facebook: Mermaid Whisper | YouTube: Mermaid Whisper

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Whisper View Post
    I enjoy having my variety of tailskins, but my mersona is a darker type, and I typically gravitate towards my classic blue with black as needed

My most recent outings (MerMania and the pod meetup) had me air out my blue tang tail, but I think this is the beginning of the end for that bubbly friend. Time to shift into a bit more originality (well, as much as you can get modifying a basic colored tail).
    Tell us what you come up with!!

I have 3 tails, all generally the same color scheme. Blue-purple, purple-green, and ice blue-mint green. I'm very drawn to the north, and the northern lights. So as a Minnesotan mer, i came up with that my tails change as the northern lights do♡ some nights there beautiful greens and purples, other nights the white blue light of the moon dances with them♡

Quote Originally Posted by MissLunaBelle View Post
    I have 3 tails, all generally the same color scheme. Blue-purple, purple-green, and ice blue-mint green. I'm very drawn to the north, and the northern lights. So as a Minnesotan mer, i came up with that my tails change as the northern lights do♡ some nights there beautiful greens and purples, other nights the white blue light of the moon dances with them♡
    :o have any pictures of your tails?

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kane View Post
    :o have any pictures of your tails?
    Two are still in production, but I do have one!!

Most of my tails are yellow/gold or blue/aqua.

Quote Originally Posted by MissLunaBelle View Post
    Two are still in production, but I do have one!!
    Aw! So cute! <3

Senior Member Pod of New England MermanJamie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaid anastasia View Post
    I actually chose my colors based on the fact that i wanted something different i thought that i see a lot of green also i used nail polish to see how the color looks compared to my skin some colors make me look sickly and others bring out my best features now you dont have to use nail polish like me you can just use fabric or even shirts think about what colors look best on you what makes you check yourself out in the mirror for my husband thats red for me its darker colors like purple

Sent from my LGLS676 using MerNetwork mobile app
    I got some paint samples from a nearby hardware store, that might help. Thanks for your advice!