View Poll Results: Given that I am short on cash, what do you guys think I should do now?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy the fabric over again plus some silicone and start anew (painting and sequins)?

0 0%
  • Make a fabric tail with a completely different (cheaper) fabric (painting and sequins, no silicone)?

1 25.00%
  • Make a fabric tail with a different fabric (no sequins, no painting on the tail body, no silicone)?

3 75.00%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Making a New Fabric Tail (purple and teal)!

Does that mean that this tail will not be safe even if I coat it in silicone?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
    I am a siren, mysterious and powerful, beautiful and deadly. I am made of magic!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    I can't imagine that the fabric is not completely safe for most people. I have a feeling that whoever experienced 'burning', etc. must have either had some underlying issues or was the one person in thousands that might have an allergic reaction. From Cosplayfabrics.com: "The Yaya Han Collection Mermaid Oil Slick is 95% Polyester and 5% Spandex and has a 185 GSM. The fabric is 58” wide. We recommend hand washing in cold water with only non-chlorine bleach. Line dry and do not iron. Gentle steaming is fine, but always test carefully in a small area." And Spandex, according to Wikipedia: "Spandex, Lycra or elastane is a synthetic fiber known for its exceptional elasticity. It is stronger and more durable than natural rubber. It is a polyether-polyurea copolymer that was invented in 1958 by chemist Joseph Shivers at DuPont's Benger Laboratory in Waynesboro, Virginia." So it couldn't have been a latex reaction as there is no latex. My only beef with Yaya Han's fabrics is the claim that they are durable.

The fabric should be perfectly fine once coated in platinum-cure silicone (DragonSkin). I don't recommend silicone caulk.

PS: I DID experience some of the dye from the black fabric bleeding into the silicone, but I neglected to pre-wash the fabric before coating it.

Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    I can't imagine that the fabric is not completely safe for most people. I have a feeling that whoever experienced 'burning', etc. must have either had some underlying issues or was the one person in thousands that might have an allergic reaction. From Cosplayfabrics.com: "The Yaya Han Collection Mermaid Oil Slick is 95% Polyester and 5% Spandex and has a 185 GSM. The fabric is 58” wide. We recommend hand washing in cold water with only non-chlorine bleach. Line dry and do not iron. Gentle steaming is fine, but always test carefully in a small area." And Spandex, according to Wikipedia: "Spandex, Lycra or elastane is a synthetic fiber known for its exceptional elasticity. It is stronger and more durable than natural rubber. It is a polyether-polyurea copolymer that was invented in 1958 by chemist Joseph Shivers at DuPont's Benger Laboratory in Waynesboro, Virginia." So it couldn't have been a latex reaction as there is no latex. My only beef with Yaya Han's fabrics is the claim that they are durable.

The fabric should be perfectly fine once coated in platinum-cure silicone (DragonSkin). I don't recommend silicone caulk.

PS: I DID experience some of the dye from the black fabric bleeding into the silicone, but I neglected to pre-wash the fabric before coating it.
    Thanks for letting me know, Pearlie!

I am a siren, mysterious and powerful, beautiful and deadly. I am made of magic!

Oh love the colors beautiful

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    I've been swimming in a saltwater pool and I haven't experienced the burn yet. The color fading hasn't even started yet so I think that maybe a chlorine reaction thing to it. The fluke made a with a different fabric than what I ordered is a different story. I guess it can really only be worn in a chemical-less body of water.

Just FYI saltwater pools are still chlorine pools, so if you're allergic to chlorine swimming in saltwater pools isn't a good idea. You'd have to find a pool sanitized with biguanide. In a "salt pool" the chlorine is just manufactured by a chemical reaction from the salt getting "zapped" and running over the titanium plates form the cell generator. I guess you are just lucky that your fabric has held up better! Are you washing it out immediately after? I've found this has helped with my fabric tails but I haven't used this fabric before.

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    Add Slim on Facebook
    I immediately wash it as soon as I get out of the pool. The scale part still has it shiny to it. The fluke made with a different fabric however is wearing out.

Quote Originally Posted by StellaRae View Post
    Just FYI saltwater pools are still chlorine pools, so if you're allergic to chlorine swimming in saltwater pools isn't a good idea. You'd have to find a pool sanitized with biguanide. In a "salt pool" the chlorine is just manufactured by a chemical reaction from the salt getting "zapped" and running over the titanium plates form the cell generator. I guess you are just lucky that your fabric has held up better! Are you washing it out immediately after? I've found this has helped with my fabric tails but I haven't used this fabric before.
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!
    ~Slim the Florida Merman~
    https://www.instagram.com/critte2004

Well, JoAnn's fabric sale ends today, and every fabric that I want to buy is either out of stock or only available in a store over 25 mi away

Add Slim on Facebook
    On the bright side, you can use coupons when they do get them back in stock. I know the system if you need help with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kali View Post
    Well, JoAnn's fabric sale ends today, and every fabric that I want to buy is either out of stock or only available in a store over 25 mi away

On the bright side, you can use coupons when they do get them back in stock. I know the system if you need help with that.
    Really? That's amazing!

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of the Midwest

Okay i have no idea why i am the only one not having problems with this fabric?? I have swam in this fabric multiple times, no rinsing or washing afterwards, and it is still perfect. Maybe i just got lucky, idk.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MerNetwork mobile app

Add Slim on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by MermaidJaiden View Post
    Okay i have no idea why i am the only one not having problems with this fabric?? I have swam in this fabric multiple times, no rinsing or washing afterwards, and it is still perfect. Maybe i just got lucky, idk.

Only my fluke from a fabric I didn't pick is what being ruined on my tail. The scale part which is the same as your that I did pick and paid for hasn't shown no sign of fading. We both got lucky with the scale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    www.instagram.com/critte2004

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of the Midwest

Only my fluke from a fabric I didn't pick is what being ruined on my tail. The scale part which is the same as your that I did pick and paid for hasn't shown no sign of fading. We both got lucky with the scale.

Seems that we did.

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    I soaked this fabric in vinegar, detergent, and hydrogen peroxide last night (dog peed on it and i had to get the acid out) and it stayed perfectly fine, minus the little fade to where the pee was
    Mela.Mermaid

Quote Originally Posted by faithonthebass View Post
    A suntails monofin is pretty good!

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
    Also the Mirage Merfin!
    Owner/Operator behind Tails & Portholes
    Store Blog
    - Personal Blog - Twitter - Instagram - Store Facebook
    This treasure cums for YOUR booty

Is your scale patt
    Is your scale pattern upside down?

Add Slim on Facebook
    It isn't upside down. I had to double check as I wouldn't had been surprised if it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kali View Post
    Is your scale pattern upside down?